Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Whether or not one of these will help you is hard to say. My coach has a metal skin, so we've got quite a reduction of the signal coming through to the interior. Since our coach body acts as a big Faraday cage it's essential to have the external antenna to use either WiFi or 4G when we're inside the coach. Other coaches have virtually the same reception inside as outside, and for those people the advantage to an external antenna is better reception due to the antenna being up high and over nearby obstacles.

I believe that the unit you're looking at also has a 4G booster built in. If it does, that will help when the 4G signal is weak or you're a bit far from the tower. It won't help if the tower is overloaded, but it will help if the problem is just being too far for good reception.
I think you are getting what I'm trying to figure out. I know i can do a high quality we boost or sure call but by the time I build the system to my perfection, I've spent $1000, and i don't really want too spend a bunch when Most of the time my Verizon mifi hotspot internet does great, but then there is the rare chance that it seems like everybody is using Verizon and i can't get nothing, this is with being at the same location were it has been great for weeks. Plus also with my consumer cellular phone service, most of the time thers no problem but there is the rare occurrence that conversations are broken up.
Long story short, I'm having a brand new rv built and they offer 2 options. The we boost for $750 wich I'm not going to spend even though I no it's a good system, and the winegard connect 2.0 4glte WiFi for $450 and installed. I'm not one who wants a brand new coach then get my own system later and screw into the roof or ladder and have a power cable draped across my new roof , like my current rig is. So I can have them do it from the factory and it will be clean and finished and under there 5yr warranty, but if I'm just giving $450 away for no improvement on cellular WiFi and a different provider of cellular phone service and I'm have them put 4 more holes in my roof for potential leaks later, then ill pass.
I don't need a super booster system to try and get all the free campground WiFi
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by edegenhart View Post
Looking for a good antenna to provide good 4G LTE and Wifi to our devices. My wife would like to stream movies on TV too but I don't know if that is possible. I've looked at WeBoost Drive Reach and Winegard Connect 2.0 Wifi and 4G LTE antennas and don't know which is best. There may be more I am not aware of. We have Verizon Cell Service with unlimited Data and Messaging on our cell phones. Would love to hear your recommendation and capabilities your antenna provides. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.
Lots of good advice above for lots of different situations! It is complicated.

I use an iPhone 7 using Consumer Cellular (mine) or iPhone 8 using ATT (wife's). They each have 4 internal antennae (MIMO) for fast data connection. I stream Amazon Prime movies to my laptop using the "hot spot" WiFi function when two bars are showing on the iPhone screen. Sometimes the service drops to 1 bar and streaming continues.

My rig is a Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. It has fiber glass and panel walls. It has plywood roof. There is a welded aluminum cage supporting it all.

I can usually get one more bar on the display by placing the iPhone in a window.

High Gain Cell Booster System
These systems rebroadcast the cell signal inside and so are a little flaky because there may be interference between cell tower signal and the rebroadcast signal.

I researched a cellular booster and antennae system and decided not to get it. Some have a single antennae. Some have two or more. So data bandwidth varies. Usually there is only one antennae.

The high gain antennae, extending tower, and signal boost systems typically have only one antennae and so limit band width. They are only good for weak signal situations and getting around blocking buildings or foliage. In high tower signal situations, they may have interference issues and band width is still low. Streaming may be impaired.

WiFi Hotspot connected to Cell Tower
A 4 antennae MIMO with cell signal booster on the roof would work with a WiFi hot spot inside. Cell phone calls using WiFi through the hot spot would work better. Data band width would be better.

The hot spot receives cell tower signal outside and rebroadcasts WiFi signal inside. The two signals generally to not interfere with one another. Strong WiFi signals makes better connection to cellphone and computer. The cell booster on the roof does not interfere with the WiFi rebroadcast inside.

A stand alone WiFi hot spot requires a simm card and account to connect to a cell tower. Many cell companies charge more for a hot spot than a cellphone.

WiFi Router
A WiFi Router that connects to campground WiFi has been discussed in previous posts.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:18 AM   #17

I am typing this through my Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE from Inks Lake State Park in Texas. They have wifi, but it's extremely useless, so I have to use 4G data.
We spend a lot of time near the Mexican border in February and March, and the Winegard can be finicky in fringe areas. We don't have Verizon or AT&T, so I buy data from Winegard, which is expensive. It only uses 12 volts, making it great for boondocking, and in the average rv Park with wifi, it enhances the signal decently.
JK
Old 03-31-2021, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
I am typing this through my Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE from Inks Lake State Park in Texas. They have wifi, but it's extremely useless, so I have to use 4G data.
We spend a lot of time near the Mexican border in February and March, and the Winegard can be finicky in fringe areas. We don't have Verizon or AT&T, so I buy data from Winegard, which is expensive. It only uses 12 volts, making it great for boondocking, and in the average rv Park with wifi, it enhances the signal decently.
JK
Wow, your the first positive comment I've seen so far.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Wow, your the first positive comment I've seen so far.
Like I said, it can be finicky:
The 2 most common issues, not including fringe areas, are when logging on to the router status page it should show the options of wifi and 4G/LTE, and the 4G/LTE button will not even be there. So I have to power down and try again, several times.
Another, is sometimes it will tell me there is no sim card installed. So I have to go up on the roof and remove and reinsert the sim card. PITA.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the TOGO same hardware version of the connect 2.0 and it is very outdated tech at a high price. Cat 4 modem with limited LTE bands and no 5ghz wifi band. You can get a cat 18 4G LTE hot spot with external antenna ports like the inseego 8800L, a $50 wifi router and an external antenna. Or a cellular router with the ability to lock to less congested bands is not that expensive compared to a Connect 2.0. You can get a Cat 7 MOFI 4500 Sim 8 cellular router with wifi for $350.

I have a SureCall booster I've used once in 18 months. Generally a MIMO antenna will serve you better in most situations unless you are spending a lot of time in remote areas. Or if you only have a phone or hot spot without antenna ports.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #21

As I'm working remotely from the motorhome more often (COVID), I have to have a rock solid internet connection.

I recently upgraded from using a NetGear Nighthawk M1, to a system I purchased from www.mobilemusthave.com.

I went with the Speed Demon+ Bundle which consist of:
- Pepwave Peplink Cat-18 4X4 Mimo LTE Modem
- Parsac 7-1 external Antenna
- Misc doo-dads for installation

It was NOT cheap, but it is rock-solid reliable.

As for data plan. . . I was one of the lucky souls who picked up on the Unlimited Mobley plan from AT&T. I've had the sim card in my NetGear Nighthawks for a few years now, so when I got the Pepwave, I just removed it from the NightHawk, and inserted it in to the Pepwave. No problems so far.

I haven't had the new system long (haven't even installed the external Parsac Antenna on the roof yet), but just working off the paddle antennas on the Pepwave, it more than doubled my speed test performance sitting in my driveway.

I also have a Verizon plan using a Mifi 8800L Jetpack as a backup. It is not unlimited data like the old Mobley AT&T plan, so it only gets used in emergencies.

Mobile Must Have has other systems and bundles available, so there are options to meet most needs.

Just more to consider! I know, trying to shop for a mobile internet solution is like shopping for a digital camera! Way to many choices!
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:13 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
As I'm working remotely from the motorhome more often (COVID), I have to have a rock solid internet connection.

I recently upgraded from using a NetGear Nighthawk M1, to a system I purchased from www.mobilemusthave.com.

I went with the Speed Demon+ Bundle which consist of:
- Pepwave Peplink Cat-18 4X4 Mimo LTE Modem
- Parsac 7-1 external Antenna
- Misc doo-dads for installation

It was NOT cheap, but it is rock-solid reliable.

As for data plan. . . I was one of the lucky souls who picked up on the Unlimited Mobley plan from AT&T. I've had the sim card in my NetGear Nighthawks for a few years now, so when I got the Pepwave, I just removed it from the NightHawk, and inserted it in to the Pepwave. No problems so far.

I haven't had the new system long (haven't even installed the external Parsac Antenna on the roof yet), but just working off the paddle antennas on the Pepwave, it more than doubled my speed test performance sitting in my driveway.

I also have a Verizon plan using a Mifi 8800L Jetpack as a backup. It is not unlimited data like the old Mobley AT&T plan, so it only gets used in emergencies.

Mobile Must Have has other systems and bundles available, so there are option to meet most needs.

Just more to consider! I know, trying to shop for a mobile internet solution is like shopping for a digital camera! Way to many choices!
Got my setup from them as well.Some good info on their web page as well. Pricey, but if you must have mobile internet that hardware and a couple of different carriers is about as good as it gets at the moment.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaadverse View Post
I had the TOGO same hardware version of the connect 2.0 and it is very outdated tech at a high price. Cat 4 modem with limited LTE bands and no 5ghz wifi band. You can get a cat 18 4G LTE hot spot with external antenna ports like the inseego 8800L, a $50 wifi router and an external antenna. Or a cellular router with the ability to lock to less congested bands is not that expensive compared to a Connect 2.0. You can get a Cat 7 MOFI 4500 Sim 8 cellular router with wifi for $350.

I have a SureCall booster I've used once in 18 months. Generally a MIMO antenna will serve you better in most situations unless you are spending a lot of time in remote areas. Or if you only have a phone or hot spot without antenna ports.
Exactly how do you have your cheaper system set up. I don't need to know about sure call, I know there ain't no better but I don't want to spend $750 either. I've got the Verizon mifi 8800 I think. I do know for a fact that it has two ports but I've read mixed opinions on weather there for external antenna function or not so I never tried it.
Did you get the little plug in adaptor for mifi to go into ports, then run it to router, then router cable to roof top omni or directional, am I right on this installation. What type of Wal-Mart router will get the job done cheap
Old 04-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I do second the recommendation that people who are just learning about all of this stuff spend some time getting familiar with the material Technomadia has posted on the Mobile Internet Resource Center website. It is accurate, well-written and unbiased. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

The above is probably the best information you have received so far.
Would also point you to another site (seabits.com). As the name suggests, it's boat specific, but, boaters have similar issues with internet connectivity.
Only you can determine what you need & what you are willing to pay. I am full time and work out of my RV. My research started in December, 2019 & I did not make a final decision until May, 2020.

Would encourage you to look at commercial grade equipment such as Peplink, Cradlepoint, or others.

If you need reliable internet connectivity & you are mobile, I believe you will find the general consensus is that you will need cellular service & most likely multiple carriers.

Free WiFi (RV park), is generally considered not adequate. If you have it, it's a bonus.

My experience with cellular & WiFi boosters was a 'bust'. Thankfully I was able to return the products for a refund.

As a general rule 'Unlimited Cellular Data Plans' are anything but unlimited. Not all SIMs from all carriers are interchangeable with different equipment, even within the same carrier.

Figure out ways to leverage you existing cellular plans, especially if you have older plans.

SIMs installed in a roof device are not as easily accessible as one installed in a device inside your RV.

Do some research on 'bonding', 'carrier aggregation', WiFi as WAN, MIMO & LAN structure. Any knowledge you acquire will assist you in making an informed decision.

In lieu of having the RV builder install one of their 'systems', have them run CAT6 Ethernet cable with all cables terminating in a central location (your data center hub).
Realize this does not really give you any answers. Hopefully it well generate some questions.
Good luck & save travels.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
The above is probably the best information you have received so far.
Would also point you to another site (seabits.com). As the name suggests, it's boat specific, but, boaters have similar issues with internet connectivity.
Only you can determine what you need & what you are willing to pay. I am full time and work out of my RV. My research started in December, 2019 & I did not make a final decision until May, 2020.

Would encourage you to look at commercial grade equipment such as Peplink, Cradlepoint, or others.

If you need reliable internet connectivity & you are mobile, I believe you will find the general consensus is that you will need cellular service & most likely multiple carriers.

Free WiFi (RV park), is generally considered not adequate. If you have it, it's a bonus.

My experience with cellular & WiFi boosters was a 'bust'. Thankfully I was able to return the products for a refund.

As a general rule 'Unlimited Cellular Data Plans' are anything but unlimited. Not all SIMs from all carriers are interchangeable with different equipment, even within the same carrier.

Figure out ways to leverage you existing cellular plans, especially if you have older plans.

SIMs installed in a roof device are not as easily accessible as one installed in a device inside your RV.

Do some research on 'bonding', 'carrier aggregation', WiFi as WAN, MIMO & LAN structure. Any knowledge you acquire will assist you in making an informed decision.

In lieu of having the RV builder install one of their 'systems', have them run CAT6 Ethernet cable with all cables terminating in a central location (your data center hub).
Realize this does not really give you any answers. Hopefully it well generate some questions.
Good luck & save travels.
Th for your help. We currently have 3 separate
carriers.
Verizon mifi 8800L with 25 gigs we use for streaming
Consumer cellular phone, 3 gigs unlimited text and talk
Cricket phone card for emergency 1gig when were not together
Free cg when its good enough to not have to use ours for surfing
Most of the time were more than good with enough for our usage, but there are times when phone service is not optimal and WiFi is unable to stream. these instances are rare, but I'm trying to plan ahead on our build for if I want to add something minimal in the future. Dont need a sure call or we boost booster. Just looking for a little help from minimal products for that rare occurrence. We don't boondock or hardly ever stay out of range of towns.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Exactly how do you have your cheaper system set up. I don't need to know about sure call, I know there ain't no better but I don't want to spend $750 either. I've got the Verizon mifi 8800 I think. I do know for a fact that it has two ports but I've read mixed opinions on weather there for external antenna function or not so I never tried it.
Did you get the little plug in adaptor for mifi to go into ports, then run it to router, then router cable to roof top omni or directional, am I right on this installation. What type of Wal-Mart router will get the job done cheap

Your 8800l is a cat 18 modem with 4 mimo antennas built in and has both 2,4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands built in as well. That will not make any difference in using campground wifi, just give you faster speeds from the hot spot to your devices when using cellular as your internet source. The 2 plugs at the bottom coverTS-9 antenna ports. That mifi also does carrier aggregation which allows it to send and receive on two different band simultaneously. I was using this antenna when I was using my 8800l as my main source:
netgear mimo antenna with 2 ts-9 connectors
It plugs directly into the MIFI, no router is involved.. You just stick it to windows on the different sides of the RV and run speed tests to find the best location. It actually works pretty well.One thing to remember is you lose two of the internal antennas when you do it, so it can actually make the connection slower if the signal is already strong in your location. You just have to run speedtest and experiment.

You can also connect the 8800l to an external or roof mounted antenna with sma to TS-9 adapters. That Mifi is a very good unit and this setup may be all you need. I have a no longer available Verizon unlimited plan that I was using in that device. I moved the sim card to a router because I wanted the ability to choose and lock to the fastest bands off the tower which you can't do with most hot spots. I also wanted the ability to use external wifi as the internet source, but routers with wifi-as-wan capabilities can be pricey. I have not yet found a campground wifi with better than cellular speed to test that out.

You will not be able to buy a Walmart wif router and use that to boost campground wifi or attach it to your hot spot or phones. I read my original post and my response was not clear. I'm currently using a cheap standard home wifi router connected to the cellular router with an ethernet cable because the signal to the devices inside the RV is better than using the wifi in my peplink, and prior to that my MOFI 4500. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaadverse View Post
Your 8800l is a cat 18 modem with 4 mimo antennas built in and has both 2,4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands built in as well. That will not make any difference in using campground wifi, just give you faster speeds from the hot spot to your devices when using cellular as your internet source. The 2 plugs at the bottom coverTS-9 antenna ports. That mifi also does carrier aggregation which allows it to send and receive on two different band simultaneously. I was using this antenna when I was using my 8800l as my main source:
netgear mimo antenna with 2 ts-9 connectors
It plugs directly into the MIFI, no router is involved.. You just stick it to windows on the different sides of the RV and run speed tests to find the best location. It actually works pretty well.One thing to remember is you lose two of the internal antennas when you do it, so it can actually make the connection slower if the signal is already strong in your location. You just have to run speedtest and experiment.

You can also connect the 8800l to an external or roof mounted antenna with sma to TS-9 adapters. That Mifi is a very good unit and this setup may be all you need. I have a no longer available Verizon unlimited plan that I was using in that device. I moved the sim card to a router because I wanted the ability to choose and lock to the fastest bands off the tower which you can't do with most hot spots. I also wanted the ability to use external wifi as the internet source, but routers with wifi-as-wan capabilities can be pricey. I have not yet found a campground wifi with better than cellular speed to test that out.

You will not be able to buy a Walmart wif router and use that to boost campground wifi or attach it to your hot spot or phones. I read my original post and my response was not clear. I'm currently using a cheap standard home wifi router connected to the cellular router with an ethernet cable because the signal to the devices inside the RV is better than using the wifi in my peplink, and prior to that my MOFI 4500. Sorry for any confusion.
Thanks for your help, I think you get my exact situation and what I need for our needs. I found this on Amazon, looks perfect to me. Has the cable, the ts9 adaptor and 10-12 gain omni antenna. I know directional is better but I don't want to fart with it, just put it up and forget about it., and for onlyy $45 to boot ., surely I'm gaining some level of capability for only $45, at least getting the signal in the house better anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210401-121052.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	323407  
Old 04-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for your help, I think you get my exact situation and what I need for our needs. I found this on Amazon, looks perfect to me. Has the cable, the ts9 adaptor and 10-12 gain omni antenna. I know directional is better but I don't want to fart with it, just put it up and forget about it., and for onlyy $45 to boot ., surely I'm gaining some level of capability for only $45, at least getting the signal in the house better anyway.
No that is not the antenna you want. That is not a MIMO antenna, it's just a single antenna with a pigtail splitter so simultaneous upload and download with carrier aggregation won't work. It's like plugging one ear while straining to hear something. It would likely be worse than the built in antennas in the MIFI in most locations. I would go with something like this :
https://www.amazon.com/Cradlepoint-R...298151&sr=8-37
and get the adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/Female-Plug-M...DM73CZFM9YG2X5

You can also use the antenna with a cellular router if you decide to upgrade later. I would try to run the cables to a location inside the RV with access to power and not use any extensions for best performance. Good luck..

Tags
antenna, wifi