Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Samsung S6 to S8 vs S9 vs waiting

Thinking out loud, and looking for opinion on if it's sound thinking!

I have a Samsung S6, Verizon Grand Fathered Unlimited Data Plan, and it is one of our primary data provides while traveling. The S6 battery is fading, is my rationale for considering doing something in the next few months.

Option 1 = Buy an auxiliary battery case like a Mophie, for $30-50 range, and just keep on using the S6 for another year.

Option 2 = Buying a New Samsung S8 for about $375-425. And use this until the 5G landscape stabilizes over the next few years.

Option 3 = Buying a 'Mint' (SWAPPA) used Samsung S9, $450-550 range.

I'm leaning towards Option 2, as it does provide a upgrade in performance with the newer bands too, gets me back to an SDCard equipped phone, Improved Camera, BluTooth 5.0, longer battery life as it is both new and also higher capacity battery. And the differences between the S8 to S9 are not such a quantum leap.

As you can see since I still have a Samsung S6 now, I do usually hang onto pones until their 3-4 generations old.

(And I really have not shopped to hard for a Samsung S8 or S9, I know they ca sometimes come available on Craigslist as 'new', at pretty good prices from private sellers. So I suspect I'd shop in the $400-500 range, and see what pop's up available first. Saw a S9 on Craigslist as an Insurance Replacement Unit, for $495, about 6 weeks ago. So no reason to not go with an S9, if the price is right.)

My thinking is that it will be 2020-2021 at the earliest, before Verizon has enough 5G rolling out to even be worried about missing it! (Heck, probably longer.)

And our second primary source for Data is via AT&T with various data plans and hardware. It's looking like that 'may' be the earlier provider of usable 5G, so I would probably swap out one of the pieces of hardware from the AT&T side when the timing looks right. (Certainly not anything too exciting from their 2018 5G+ announcement, 15GB! Sure can tell how they plan to gauge the consumer for 5G data usage - while they can!).

So rambling again, opinions on my thought process welcomed and appreciated!

TIA, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #2

You're on the right track. I just retired my good old Samsung S5 for a Samsung S8 Plus. The S5 worked fine and I agonized about spending the money but went ahead and took the plunge. Wow, what a difference. The S8 Plus has a much bigger screen and is extremely fast. The newer Android phones will also accept a newer, better version of Android. At&T's initial rollout of 5G will take some time so I thought it safe. I put half down on the S8 Plus and took a 2 year payout/contract. When I did that my phone bill went up $20 a month on top of the phone payment and if I had gone ahead and gone with the Next program I would have been money ahead and could have upgraded in a year, with monthly payments of course and saved the $20 a month. I would recommend you check that out. No interest and no activation fee is the same amount of money as if you bought it outright. These things are not cheap but I use mine for about everything.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The major carriers have announced the rollout of 5G in major populations centers the first half of 2019. Verizon has 5G running and testing in 22 major cities along with some other carriers. Samsung and LG have announced new 5G phones/Hotspots in the first half of 2019 but Apple will probably take a year. I live in a small town so I won't be seeing 5G for while but if I thought I was one the cities that getting 5G in the first half of 2019 I take a wait and see attitude. What I wouldn't do is sign a long-term contact that I would have to buy out.

With the 5G phone on the market, they just fire sale the older out date 4G phones.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #4

Battery in S6 is replaceable...S7 also but more involved and many phone repair shops can do this cheapest. Personally Id replace the batt and add a power bank if need be considering 5G in the sometime near future...personally my and Verizon's definition of soon varies greatly On the flip side however Samsung is suspected of slowing older models via updates similar to what apple admitted doing as an incentive to purchase newer stuff so theres always that..:(
I just bought an S9 unlocked (works on all 4 carriers) from best buy to replace a problem child S7...amazon reviews on private sellers are very sketchy IMHO
Old 12-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #5

My S5 was getting "wonky", starting apps on it's own, etc. so I upgraded to an unlocked S8 that I purchased directly from Samsung in October for under $500 and couldn't be happier. I don't see any reason to wait for 5G or paying more for the most current phone unless you just like to have the newest available. I thought about a refurb or almost new but used but decided that new was worth it since I don't plan on upgrading for several years.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

For me, the bigger issue would be whether you loose that grandfathered plan on Verizon or not. If that goes away with the phone, I'd keep the phone and use it simply as a hotspot in the coach....just plug it into power and forget about it.

I'm an iPhone guy, so I'm no help for you on the Samsung phones....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #7

You don't lose your plan if you just upgrade phone, at least not with AT&T.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
tcg

I can't speak to your plans or contracts or any of that but...

I own an S8 Active and that thing is a tank. It stays in my pocket while I work outdoors rain or shine, most days it stays wet. The battery life is excellent and the camera is really good.

I just got my wife an S9, the camera on that thing is excellent and battery life is phenomenal.

The biggest problem with the S9 is the curved screen. All the screen protectors we've tried only adhere to the edges. That means whenever she drops it the screen protector pops off and most times it cracks.

I'm about to try a new protector that claims to adhere to the entire surface eliminating that problem. We'll see.

That is only a problem for my wife because she has bad arthritis along with some nerve damage which means she drops things a lot.

She does have a nice Otter case which makes it easier to grip.

If you don't want to wait the S9 or S8 is a great choice.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I changed from a S5 to a S8 when my S5 accidentally went swimming. I could not be happier with the S8. The camera is phenomenal and the battery life is excellent. It is a great improvement over the S5. I have it in an Otter case that does not have a screen cover, but has raised sides to protect the screen.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I went from an S7 to an S9+ and kept my unlimited data plan a couple months ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Change the battery, which is easy to do. Just watch a couple of uTubes and you are good. A new battery is pretty cheap on eBay

That will give you time to decide what you really want to do
Old 12-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

Go for it, you won't be sorry

Smitty77, I'm like you about waiting on the next best proven phone . I started with the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and then on to the S5 as a gift from AT&T with a Defender case. That was the year they started payment plans for phones.(not me)you guested it just like your considering, I have the S9+ and love it. Like you I was Grandfathered in on their unlimited data plan which I just left because with the continuing rate increase I changed to the Premium plan which is less then the old unlimited plan.
If your concerned about buying an old tech 4G phone and have the network activate 5G don't worry they won't just throw a switch on us. Like mentioned there are some test areas active but I believe though, they are corporate clients.
You can pick up a replacement battery like mentioned for the S6 on line and a little research on google /you tube and a hair dryer or low, low setting heat gun and open up the back(not for everyone) and replace battery.
I think stepping up to the S8+ (new) of your choices you listed may be your best and the prices are getting more reasonable... IMO
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #13

Well, I was nudged by the DW to no wait any longer. Just do it and be done with it! So, I found a new unopened unlocked S8 for $385. All take 7-9 days for it to catch up with me, but at least I'll have a good phone to bridge the next few years.

Thanks for all of the input, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went from S5 to S8+ and S8 Note. The biggest thing I hated about the upgrade is the S8 requires a new charger. The S8 has a sub-c connector.
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote