Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Sat Receiver and Sat DVR together

I have an Older KVH in motion antenna.

It needs a sat receiver with a low speed data port to aim the antenna.

I would like the DVR capability.

My theory:

Run two sat cables from antenna LNB to a Zinwell 3x4 Multi-Switch.

Run two coax cables from Zinwell to DVR. Run one Coax cable to sat receiver (used for aiming the antenna).

It appears that in a stationery mode this would work. We could aim the antenna and then turn off the sat receiver and use the DVR features.

Does anyone think the DVR could record the signal provided while the Sat receiver is aiming the antenna while in motion with this concoction?

I realize only the channel tuned on the receiver could be recorded while in motion.

We have all the equipment, but must activate the DTV service for the DVR.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not think the DVR will do much recording UNTIL the antenna is properly reported.

But if the antenna is a "Dual" lnb type (NOT TWIN, but Dual, means 2 outputs) and you feed it to aproper DeSQ (Degital Equpiment Switch) the proper type for the service/antenna you have, No reason you can not run 2, 3 4 or more receivers(The DVR is 2receivers in and of itself)
Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, the results are........

1. The old low speed data port receiver aims the antenna just fine whether in motion or stationery.

2. The standard defintion DVR then can record two channels, or record one channel and display another live.

3. And....if the DVR is recording on two channels, my basic winegard video switch allows viewing live satellite receiver.

So, DVR recording in motion is feasable with the low speed data port setup.

No Degital Equpiment Switch is intalled.

I have the DVR plumbed to the AUX input of the video switch and the antenna aiming receiver connected to the Sat switch.

Everything works great.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #4

Thanks for sharing & happy you were able to get it working!!
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote