Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2022, 01:01 PM   #1

Satellite Confusion, Unhappy

Let me start off by saying I don't understand all the terminology involved with setting up a satellite dish, etc. I have searched threads on here and not much help.
We decided to add a dish to our camping, mainly for news etc before bed. Anyway, I bought a used Winegard (older) G2 model. Switched the dip switches to receive Dish Network, purchased a Wally receiver, and added the service to my home Dish account, which is very affordable as they only charge existing customers $5 a month for Dish Outdoors.
My problem is I'm having a horrible time getting good reception. I understand and expect issues with trees (my dish is portable on a stand), but I move it around to no avail. I'm in the northeast and my home dish is locked onto satellite 61.5 which I understand (as Dish calls it) a "spare" satellite.
However, when I'm camping using the G2, when it does get a signal it's always on satellite 110...even if the signal is super weak, like 6-10 on the scale.
When I take my phone using the Wingard app, I can "see" satellite 61.5 right in front of me in clear sky but the dish will not connect to it. However, even when 110 looks to be in clear sky I still get lousy signal.
I have the coax hooked directly from receiver to Wally, and I cannot seem to get a consistent signal.
My buddy gave me a King Tailgater that was/is a year old and used twice, and that is no better and if anything the old G2 works better.
Is there a way to "force" these to pick up 61.5....or am I doing something else wrong like a wrong setting, etc. ? So frustrated with it as of now it doesn't seem worth it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2022, 01:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meames1 View Post
Let me start off by saying I don't understand all the terminology involved with setting up a satellite dish, etc. I have searched threads on here and not much help.
We decided to add a dish to our camping, mainly for news etc before bed. Anyway, I bought a used Winegard (older) G2 model. Switched the dip switches to receive Dish Network, purchased a Wally receiver, and added the service to my home Dish account, which is very affordable as they only charge existing customers $5 a month for Dish Outdoors.
My problem is I'm having a horrible time getting good reception. I understand and expect issues with trees (my dish is portable on a stand), but I move it around to no avail. I'm in the northeast and my home dish is locked onto satellite 61.5 which I understand (as Dish calls it) a "spare" satellite.
However, when I'm camping using the G2, when it does get a signal it's always on satellite 110...even if the signal is super weak, like 6-10 on the scale.
When I take my phone using the Wingard app, I can "see" satellite 61.5 right in front of me in clear sky but the dish will not connect to it. However, even when 110 looks to be in clear sky I still get lousy signal.
I have the coax hooked directly from receiver to Wally, and I cannot seem to get a consistent signal.
My buddy gave me a King Tailgater that was/is a year old and used twice, and that is no better and if anything the old G2 works better.
Is there a way to "force" these to pick up 61.5....or am I doing something else wrong like a wrong setting, etc. ? So frustrated with it as of now it doesn't seem worth it.
The cables between the dish and receiver/DVR - new or pre-existing? If you installed them is there a possibility of damage (scraping insulation, partial cut-through, kinking) to the cable? If existing, perhaps rodent/insect damage, a kink, or bad connector?
Old 10-18-2022, 01:20 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Unfortunately, the G2 and G3 antennas will only receive 110, 119, and 129 Western Arc satellites. To receive the 61.5 Eastern arc satellite, you must have a Dish Playmaker or a Pathway X2. Below is from the G2 user manual. I'm not that familiar with the King Tailgater but their specs say it's compatible with 61.5 in hybrid mode but that probably requires resetting a dip switch. A caveat on that, the Tailgater says hybrid mode is 61.5, 110 and 119 satellites and a lot of Dish HD programming is on satellite 129.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	379038  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #4

Also, any F barrel connectors in the cable run between the antenna and Wally must be special high frequency ones. I believe they have a blue inner insulator.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #5

Lt Dan's info is why you are having problems. But you need to go into the settings menu on your receiver after you start up the dish. Go into to settings, Diagnostics, Dish and scroll over to test installation. It should switch over to the 110 or whatever sat the dish is locked on to and tell you if the dish switch is working. You really need to spend the money and get a more updated dish like the Playmaker or Pathway. You can often find a slightly used one from someone that has switched to streaming. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #6

Thanks for all the reply's.
After reading your thoughts I went back and looked closer at the directions for the King "DISH" tailgater Pro I have. There is a "Mode" that you can change on the setup screen to switch to the "Hybrid" 61.5, 110, 119 Trio.
I'm sure I read that before, but at that time I had no idea about satellite numbers. So, I'm hoping and expecting by making that change the Tailgater Pro will work. I'll update.
Old 10-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #7

The western arc sats are 110, 119 and 129. The eastern sats for hybrid LNB are 61.5 and 72. Be careful with King older units. The sat companies made changes to the satellites and King's response to the changes were to throw the units away and buy new ones from them. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 06:40 AM   #8
JDT

Probably not your issue but the Wally supplies the power to the dish thru the cable. I ran into a problem with my Pathway X2 working well with a 25 foot cable but not with a 50 foot. Too much power loss was my assumption. It would work with the 50 if I hooked it directly to the Wally instead of the connection in the wet bay. I added an outside connection behind our living room tv which shortened the run and probably eliminated a few hidden junctions. It works fine with the 50 now.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite