Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2021, 07:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I had a similar issue a few years ago. It ended up being a bad motor, and I had to have it replaced. Hope this is not the issue for you.
I had an issue last week. I went up top with a rag and cleaned off the dish as it was searching. Once I finished, it locked right on to the satellites. There was a lot of small bird poop on the thing… has worked fine since then. We are moving today to a new campground, so I will see if the issue repeats itself. I was on the roof last evening and the dish is still clean, so will see…
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2021, 01:59 PM   #16

Thought I might be able to avoid a trip up top, but from sounds of corroded connections and a messy dish I'd better get my ladder out of the garage.

Any way to check for the bad motor without just replacing it?
Old 05-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you verified that the power injector between the receiver and dish is on?
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsr View Post
Have you verified that the power injector between the receiver and dish is on?

if I remember, there is a light on it and it;s plugged in. Or am I thinking about the SWM switch? Better check that tomorrow, that is if I can recognize it when I see it. Or where to look for it.

Sent a message to Winegard, they responded by asking if the little screen ever showed Peaking or Identifying. Responded back and will see what they come up with.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #19

Received a message back from Winegard this morning giving a You Tube instruction on how to check the cable from the LNB. But they listed 3 different models of Trav'ler and the test veried with each model.

Without climbing on the roof to check which one I have is there any other way to tell? Can anyone guess which model I might have had installed on the roof in mid-2015 on a Dutch Star? Don't remember having any choice of models at that time.

I would guess I have the SK-1000, and not SK-SWMK (he reads it so fast I can hardly tell exactly what he is saying), and the Shaw Trav'ler (which I;ve never heard of).
This test is the same used for the message "NO LNB VOLTAGE".
Old 06-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #20

finally found my Winegard Operation Manual. Looks like my dish is Model SK-SWM3. makes the You Tube instruction somewhat clearer now.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I've had a similar issue with mine a couple of times and just loosening the coax cables, twisting it back and forth a bit, then tightening the connections back cleared it up. The copper conductor builds up a tiny bit of corrosion that can interfere with the signal.
Tried this, plus even disconnected the cable at the turrent and sprayed electric cleaner on it. But neither had any effect on my problem.
Guess next step may be to try a new cable.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #22

As suggested by Winegard and the Link I was sent, I replaced the cable running from the LNB down to the turrent with one ordered from Winegard.

No help at all. The dish still searches and searches for 10-12 minutes for the Directv satellites then folds down and stores. Sent a new message to Winegard informing them the new cable didn't work and asked for the next step. Was very disappointed this new cable didn't fix the problem.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:10 AM   #23

I have had this exact same problem with my travler but I have Dish Network. Took several attempts and would finally go up and find satellites. Once this was achieved the signal strength was checked. It was all over the board and fluctuating. Short version of a long story is it turned out to need a new LNB. The tech that came out could not believe that would be the problem but he brought one with him and that corrected the problem. Said he had never seen this in the 5 years he had been a tech.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:03 PM   #24

Last message from Winegard said to take a picture of front/back of dish and one of the arm with the dish removed. Decided to again try changing position of the coach. Back it up about 20 feet (tried 3-4 feet couple weeks ago but the dish only did right once in that position) which put the coach out in the alley and on the south side of the city high lines that run down the alley. Dish locked on in less that 5 minutes. But after moving coach back into the yard putting it on the north side of the high lines, and nothing worked then.

I know trees, leaves, and buildings can disrupt satellite reception, but has anyone ever had trouble with electric high lines?
Old 06-24-2021, 02:47 PM   #25

I have yet to have any type of reception problem with my Hybrid Trav’ler. However, I use the “TV Signal Finder App” which allows me to view the phone screen to find the location of the 3 DISHnet Sats to see if there’s any obstructions.

That said…
Previously I had a roof mounted Winegard G3 Carryout dome dish.
There would be times where I had a perfectly clean view of the southern sky & all three sats.
However, at times the dome dish would not lock-in.
Then (on recommendation of Winegard) if I moved my coach 5ft in either direction, the dome dish would lock on the sats perfectly.

Bottomline, it’s an imperfect science so if at first you don’t succeed….”you know the thing”.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #26

I used to have a "Satellite Finder App" on my phone but after not using it for quite a while something changed. Now I have "Winegard TV Signal Finder", "Satellite Finder", "Satellite Finder Lite", "Satellite Finder Pro", and "Satellite AR".

Most of these will show the satellites in the sky or the compass direction but none of them will show how local terrain and trees fit in the picture at the same time. My original App would show if a mountain peak or some tree limbs were in the way between the dish and the satellites. None of the above Apps do this but I kept trying different ones hoping to find one like I used to have.

Seems everytime Samsung does an update on the phone something I'm used to gets screwed up and then I'm lost.

Tags
dish