Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2021, 09:58 PM   #1

Satellite dish and reception gone wrong

Last week I drove my 2015 DS off the concrete parking pad in the backyard to the diesel shop 10 miles away for some maintenance work. Returned home to the same spot about 9 hours later. Now every time I try to activate the Winegard Trav'ler roof satellite dish it searches for 5-10 minutes then returns to the stored position never locating Directv

satellites 99, 101, and 103 (I think those are the ones it always stops on). Have tried this 3-4 times. The first couple of times it was really cloudy overhead and thought this could cause problems, but today the sky is clear and still the Trav'ler won't locate satellites.

When I turn on the TV I get the message "receiver having trouble connecting to the satellite dish" and has code 775.

Everything worked as it should before I drove it to the shop. I've checked all the connections from the receiver in the compartment over the driver's seat and all seems tight as before.

Anyone have any thoughts about what might have happened during a smooth 20 miles drive on town streets? Cabling problems could cause the situation of the receiver not connecting to the dish, but what could cause the Trav'ler not to be able to find the Directv satellites when the coach is parked in exactly the same spot as it had been?

What else should I be looking for?
Thanks, TV means a lot to us while on the road.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your connections on the dish itself.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #3

More than likely the coax cable from the Trav'ler turret to the LNB connection is bad. This is a common problem on these antennas. You can replace it with a standard RG6 piece of coax for a temporary repair and order the correct coax from Winegard (if they will sell it to you) or buy it on Amazon.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
More than likely the coax cable from the Trav'ler turret to the LNB connection is bad. This is a common problem on these antennas. You can replace it with a standard RG6 piece of coax for a temporary repair and order the correct coax from Winegard (if they will sell it to you) or buy it on Amazon.
Found your part:
https://winegard.com/products/satell...o-turret-cable

Why does it go bad? Sun and weather damage, exposure to elements?
How long is the normal expected lifetime of that cable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9CFE000B-838D-4F30-95B8-41E05E1F076A.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	329241  
Old 05-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #5

Oh Oh, guess that means a trip up top side, which I never enjoy doing. Appreciate the advice.

The suggestion to use a good piece of cable until getting a replacement from Winegard, is there anything really special about Winegard's cable? About how long a cable will it take? How many cables does this take? Looks like 4 from the picture.

Amazon has 5' cable lengths for sale, which buying 4 of them would be about the same as Winegard's price.

Will have to wait a few days as it's been a misty drisely rainy time which makes the roof a little slippery which makes me a little nervous up there.

Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had a similar issue with mine a couple of times and just loosening the coax cables, twisting it back and forth a bit, then tightening the connections back cleared it up. The copper conductor builds up a tiny bit of corrosion that can interfere with the signal.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #7

I have had a similar problem and found that I have a blind spot on my parking pad where I do not have a clear line of site to the satellites. Whatever blockage exists is not obvious but moving forward 5 feet or back 5 went from no signal to strong signal.

Another potential solution is to remove all power to the receiver and let it do a hard reboot. If that does not work loosen the cable on the satellite dish and spray it with electronic cleaner. If none of those work you probably have an issue with the dish potentially the LNB.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I've had a similar issue with mine a couple of times and just loosening the coax cables, twisting it back and forth a bit, then tightening the connections back cleared it up. The copper conductor builds up a tiny bit of corrosion that can interfere with the signal.

I'll try that first, but with my luck on this coach surely I can't come out that simple.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
I have had a similar problem and found that I have a blind spot on my parking pad where I do not have a clear line of site to the satellites. Whatever blockage exists is not obvious but moving forward 5 feet or back 5 went from no signal to strong signal.

Another potential solution is to remove all power to the receiver and let it do a hard reboot. If that does not work loosen the cable on the satellite dish and spray it with electronic cleaner. If none of those work you probably have an issue with the dish potentially the LNB.

The wife always guides me in on the pad and the tires will usually be within just a few inches of the previous marks. I did think of this but in the last several years the Trav'ler always worked fine each time I returned from a trip. Course as they say, there's always a first time.

May have to try that anyway, other than a couple feet forward and I drop off the pad but 4 feet back and I'm protruding in the alley. Tough situation.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post

When I had a roof-mount dome dish I would have this blind spot issue on occasion even with a clear Southern line of site.
I called Winegard and they told me to move my rig 5í either way
Hey! It worked.

However, now with my Travíler I have not yet experienced a blind foot so far.
(Knock on wood!)
Old 05-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Good info, thank you.
Now I know what to expect as my Travíler ages.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:48 PM   #12

well now, this just about beats everything. I backed the coach up about 3 feet, pressed the Winegard power button on the controller, and in less than 3 minutes the Trav'ler had locked in on all 3 satellites. No tree limbs, buildings, or otherwise in the way with the coach setting in either place. But backing up did the trick.
Did a Satellite Start-up on the TV and in just a very short while I had an excellent picture.
Thank goodness it didn't require getting on top of the coach.
Appreciate all the help and advice.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #13

UPDATE FROM OP:

Well back to Post # 1. Lowered the dish 2 days ago due to possible 60 MPH winds and hail, then raised it today.Same problem, Trav'ler doesn't seem to be able to locate Directv satellites 99, 101, and 103 then stows by itself, and on the TV I get the message #775 stating receiver cannot communicate with dish. Coach wasn't moved.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:06 AM   #14

I had a similar issue a few years ago. It ended up being a bad motor, and I had to have it replaced. Hope this is not the issue for you.

Tags
dish