Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 08:13 PM   #15

Is the King Quest VQ 4100 a decent one?
Centex10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #16

Is King Quest VQ 4100 a good one?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:44 AM   #17

Sounds like the OP is a young family with limited funds and the automatic stuff is probably out of his reach or not worth the expense for his needs. He can get a new satellite dish for 50 bucks, a tripod for another 50 and a length of wire for 15 bucks. He said he has a box from his S&B. solidsignal.com is an excellent place to search for equipment. Setting up his dish at a camp site is not a big deal. Once in a camp site he can get the satellite aiming location on the net using the local zip code.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex10 View Post
Is King Quest VQ 4100 a good one?
I am on my second King Tailgater and have not had any problems. I bought the King tripod to get it off the ground. The good thing about these portables is the ability to move the dish location to get around trees or other obstacles.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Sounds like the OP is a young family with limited funds and the automatic stuff is probably out of his reach or not worth the expense for his needs. He can get a new satellite dish for 50 bucks, a tripod for another 50 and a length of wire for 15 bucks. He said he has a box from his S&B. solidsignal.com is an excellent place to search for equipment. Setting up his dish at a camp site is not a big deal. Once in a camp site he can get the satellite aiming location on the net using the local zip code.

CLIFFORD
Not out of reach but not worth $500+ when the amount of use will be minimal. Where can I find a dish for $50? What is the difference between the dishes and the domes?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Why does anyone call DTV to set up in the RV. Ya get your own dish to use for 50-60 bucks , make a tripod , or spend extra dollars on an automatic seeking dish. The OP already said he has DTV at home and he wanted TV if the camp ground didn't have a cable hook up. He can take a box from home and put it in the RV. If he has Geni he can get an extra non Geni box for for 7.50 per month rental . I bought a box on line from an authorized dealer for 99.00 bucks, told DTV it was a bedroom addition. Some people want their local news when they travel outside their home zone ,then you need to call DTV for assistance. This is not rocket science. @ OP look on your roof and see what the dish shape and kind of LNB you have ,then go on line and look for a similar one.

CLIFFORD
What is Geni?
Old 01-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #21

There is to my knowledge any domes that will recieve Direct HD programming. since Direct has indicated that they will stop SD broadcasting in a couple of years, I see no logical reason to spend $$ on any equipment that is SD only.
For around 200 dollars you can buy online exactly what you need for the correct oval dish tripod setup.
Depending on what receiver you have will dictate what antenna system you will need.
Latest DTV systems like the Genie are SWM only and will need the correct power supply.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
What is Geni?
I think they mean Genie, which is a box that can read from other main receivers for saved programs, etc.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 AM   #23

since your viewing is going to be limited have you looked at over the air antenna. Last time in FL I got 41 channels OTA. A w weeks ago in NC I got 19.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #24

It seems like there are a ton of options and variables along with a wide range of expense. Everyone appears to accomplish similar results in different ways. I had no idea this could get so complicated. Or more than likely I'm just an idiot about this stuff.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #25

Arrow

Quote:
It seems like there are a ton of options and variables along with a wide range of expense. Everyone appears to accomplish similar results in different ways. I had no idea this could get so complicated...
agreed

but, let me tell you our progression as newby Satellite tv owners back in 2014

After our purchase of our Palazzo, we watched local Antenna stations, Cable tv if at a park that provided it, some DVDs, and even some Chrome movie streaming when a park had Wifi. For me, though, that got old as I wanted to always watch certain shows without regard to whether Antenna or Cable was available...

I researched the two providers and felt that DISH was the better option to start with. While parked at an RV park in Florida, I called DISH and told them that I wanted a portable 'tripod' mount satellite for 3 tvs in my coach so that I could take it with me when I traveled. They said it would be a $49.99 service/installation charge, and the techs would be scheduled to install in several days.

The techs came by, set up the Satellite 1000.2 tripod mounted Antenna, ran three coax cables from the satellite to the inside of the coach(I had them run them through a window for the time being), set VIP211k receivers at each TV, connected everything, and ran the setup and Acquiring Signal screens to get everything working properly. I had started programming with the 120Channels package, which had a beginning monthly cost for the first year of about $51. They NEVER charged me for the Antenna, tripod, cabling, connectors, or the Receivers! Sweet!

The monthly cost breakdown was:
$50 for the channel selections
$7 for each 'additional' receiver (x2)
$8 for the 'service protection plan' (waived during the first year)
some state and local taxes
[this does not add up to the $51 since Dish gives you certain 'discounts'
during the initial period]

Our current monthly cost, with now 250 Channels:
$113 monthly

We are full timers, so we never turn 'off' our service, we pay a monthly bill just like anyone at a house does. Interesting, though, we moved into a mountain cabin temporarily last summer and now use our TVs, Receivers, and Satellite antenna from the coach for our cabin. It makes no different where you use it, it works!

now... PORTABLE Satellite Antenna...
after moving around the country for a while with the tripod mounted manual antenna, and learning about setting it up and pointing it correctly at each location, I felt like having a Portable Automatic Acquisition antenna would be very nice, less aggravation, and less time involved.
I researched the DISH portable antenna options and decided on the KingTailgater2, which was relatively new to the market, and provided 2 outputs, rather than the older models with only 1. I ordered it online for $349 with free shipping, and it arrived in several days. I had already purchased additional lengths of coax cables and connectors for those instances where I might need to set the 'old' antenna out a fair way from the coach because of trees, etc.
The receivers use a slightly different, but easier, on-screen 'Acquiring Signal' screen for the portable unit versus the manual antenna since it points itself automatically.
What I love about this unit is that I can place it on my roof, move it around if needed, place it on the ground, on the roof of the car, or even run it 100' away in a clearing if needed. And, i installed several 2" 'studs' that protrude from the rear of the coach roof, near the ladder, that this portable unit can be 'mounted' on when traveling. Now, most of the time when traveling, I don't even have to leave the coach or move the unit to get my satellite signal.

Differences with a manual 1000.2 Antenna, and a Portable antenna:
- the 1000.2 'standard' antenna you see on most homes as 3 'eyes' that see all three DISH satellites... 110, 119, and HD 129. This means that 3 different receivers/tvs can view any channel, any time, on any tv simultaneously.
- the portable antennas have a SINGLE 'eye', which moves to each different satellite needed as your change channels, and therefore not only takes a second more to change channels(at least for those on a different satellite), but also limits the output to a single 'Main' receiver/tv, and a 'secondary' signal to another receiver/tv. This 'Main' tv will see channels as normal, but the 'secondary' tv will only see available channels that are on the Satellite that the Main receiver was tuned to at the time the secondary receiver 'acquired' it's signal. In other words, the second tv can't see channels on a satellite that the main tv is not tuned to at that time.
You'll get used to this option for a second tv, and it's quite enjoyable, it just takes some understanding.

Having the portable does not cost any more from DISH, they don't care how many antennas you have, only the number of receivers.

and, when traveling, chat with DISH online and give them your new 'Vacation' address so that they can send you the LOCAL CHANNELS for that area, such as ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. You can do this as often as you travel!

enjoy ! : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #26

Quote:
It seems like there are a ton of options and variables along with a wide range of expense. Everyone appears to accomplish similar results in different ways. I had no idea this could get so complicated. Or more than likely I'm just an idiot about this stuff.
Centrex10
Are you using this in a Travel Trailer or larger RV?

Old 01-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
Centrex10

Are you using this in a Travel Trailer or larger RV?

Thank you all! Using it in a travel trailer.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Thank you all! Using it in a travel trailer.
Then I would think most would suggest a portable and not a roof mounted dome.

Tags
satellite