RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hey,

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best system for Satellite Internet access?

Is the Datastorm system or the KVH system the best? Are there others?

Sound off. We'd like to hear.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hey,

Does anyone have a recommendation for the best system for Satellite Internet access?

Is the Datastorm system or the KVH system the best? Are there others?

Sound off. We'd like to hear.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm under the impression these are just different dishes accessing pretty much the same satellite service.

Here's one source for more info, though it is probably biased toward the Datasortm dish.
Datastorm etc.

I know 3-4 people with Datastorms and they are all quite happy, but have not heard much at all from the KVH camp.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, Gary.

I, too, have seen a lot of information about Datastorm, and not too much about KVH.

Any KVH users out there who can provide any input on their system/service?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:28 PM   #5

Datastorm seems to be the most popular, it uses Direcway for the 2 way sat connection. I used direcway at my house until I was able to get "Real" broadband. I still have my 2-way dish sitting in the garage.

The other service is Starband, but I haven't heard too many good things about the service.

Both have either the expensive self pointing mounted dish's, or can use a standard dish on a tripod.

For the most part satellite is the best way currently available for internet access virtually anywhere.

Kevin
Old 03-23-2005, 03:36 AM   #6

The direcway website suggests about $1,500-$1,600 for a required 15 month commitment, for 'home usage.' The datastormusers.com site suggests costs on the order of $5K for hardware. Is this because an RV premium is being tacked on for installation, or is the datastormusers.com info old? Do I need to have this installed by an RV dealer or can I do it myself?

Datastormuser.com site shows a MH with a dish on top of it. Does the dish always stay there or does one need to put it up & take it down for driving?

Dave
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:17 PM   #7

We have a Motosat Datastorm F1 dish with Hughes, DirecWay satellite internet service. The mobile dish consists of an automatic deployable dish with a Controller, Modem and Wireless Access Point. The hardware sells for about $4,295 plus about $1,000 for professional dealer installation and $99.00 per month for service.

From the time you park, with a good clear view of the sky in the direction of the satellite, you push a Deploy button on the controller and 4 to 5 minutes later you have Satellite Internet and we added a DirectTV LNB to ours for an additional $250 and we get DirectTV at the same time (DirectTV comes through a different satellite then DirecWay - they are different services)

Check out http://www.datastormusers.com/ for great information on the Datastorm. There are a number of dealers. I recommend Bill Adams with Internet Anywhere - you will see his posts on the this site.