Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Found the problem Well, part of the problem. The Wally had been set to hide all "SD" channels and it turns out that There is no sound on HD channels. Initially, there must have been a few SD channels on 110 that I was able to get sound. It was just by accident that I discovered it. After I disabled the "Hide SD channels", I have sound on every satellite in SD mode, but none have sound in HD mode. So far, I haven't located the setting to allow sound in HD.
Odd, but I had a similar problem. My smart tv needed to be rebooted to get sound. I do not know why, but sometimes the sound gets out of sync, and it also has a setting to change the sound to sync with the picture. Turning it off/on doesn’t help, only rebooting does the job.

Guessing, but it may have to do with all the inputs and certain equipment such as DVD players or Wally’s may deliver the sound to the tv at different speeds, but as I said just a guess.
Extarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #16

Crasher - im not quite sure i follow your diagnosis with the blue ray ... but that is a separate unit from the wally (which is satellite only) ... this means there are separate hdmi connections to the tv from each of the unit. Just taking a swag here ... but hdmi connections can oxidize, and can go "bad" over time. Try tracing all the hdmi cables and unplug and replug several times to clean the connections. Dont forget the ones at the back of the tv...
Old 12-30-2021, 08:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Crasher - im not quite sure i follow your diagnosis with the blue ray ... but that is a separate unit from the wally (which is satellite only) ... this means there are separate hdmi connections to the tv from each of the unit. Just taking a swag here ... but hdmi connections can oxidize, and can go "bad" over time. Try tracing all the hdmi cables and unplug and replug several times to clean the connections. Dont forget the ones at the back of the tv...

I was just confirming that there were no issues with the TVs themselves. I have unplugged some of the HDMI connections, but not all. I am just puzzled as to why I have picture and sound on all channels in SD mode, but a perfectly clear picture in HD mode, and no sound. Both signals come through the same cable and both TV's are affected.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #18

Eliminate ALL wiring

I would try to eliminate ALL run wiring to prove the antenna and Wally are 100% ok. Just try to use a new external HDMI cable to one of the TV's or get an additional TV just to try. You need to trouble shoot it from beginning to end. I had my rig changed from Direct to Dish (I am second owner) Direct required coax splitters and Dish did not. Really messed things up until the installer found the unnecessary splitters. If all TVs are acting the same than the problem is before the TVs, but you know that. Start eliminating stuff.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
I would try to eliminate ALL run wiring to prove the antenna and Wally are 100% ok. Just try to use a new external HDMI cable to one of the TV's or get an additional TV just to try. You need to trouble shoot it from beginning to end. I had my rig changed from Direct to Dish (I am second owner) Direct required coax splitters and Dish did not. Really messed things up until the installer found the unnecessary splitters. If all TVs are acting the same than the problem is before the TVs, but you know that. Start eliminating stuff.
You might have helped me find the problem. I connected the Wally direct to the BR TV and I had sound on HD and SD channels. I connected the new HDMI cable to the Triple Vision 1X4 splitter. Then I had sound on front TV too. I disabled the SD channels and lost sound to the HD channels. I re-enabled the SD channels and got sound on those but no sound on the HD channels. I kept trying different circuits with inconsistent results. The only consistent connection is direct from the Wally to the BR TV. Will order a new 1X4 power splitter as that seems to be the intermittent component. If all goes well, I'll hook back up to the original coach coax to the antenna and cross my fingers.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:13 PM   #20

Update. My coach has two HDMI 1X4 splitters. One for the dome Playmaker dish and one also wired for the big fold down Traveler dish which I do not use. I disconnected that splitter and hooked the domes cables to it and we are good. Sound on all channels even with the duplicate SD channels disabled. The thing that made this whole issue confusing was that the problem was intermittent and not consistent. Tomorrow, I'll hook up the coach coax and am confident it will work like new again. Thanks to all for the suggestions that helped eliminate the possibilities and find the solution.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:32 PM   #21

I was kind of wondering about the splitter… but figured that might rise to prominence if you started playing with the connections. Hopefully this is it?
Old 01-15-2022, 01:28 PM   #22

The drama continues. I can get good picture with sound using an external coax from the Wally to the antenna, but neither internal OEM cables will lock onto the satellites. I've checked all connections that I can get access to finding nothing out of order. For now, I will run the new cable through a slide out gap till we get back to our dealer who will bring the new coax into the roof by the middle AC unit and down the wall. Guess I may never know how or why both OEM coaxes and HDMI could fail.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #23

Coax Splitters

Hey Crasher;

On my previous post about splitters I was referring to "COAX" splitters not HDMI. My bad as I was not clear on the subject and we were lucky that you played with the HDMI splitters and got things to work. If your rig was initially set up at the factory it might have COAX splitters along the run. Mine were easy to access as there was an access hatch just next to the folding dish were there were installed. So for sure you have a coax issue. Try to follow the coax's from the antennas to the Wally. The issues HAS to be in there somewhere. Is it possible to run a new internal coax from the antenna to the Wally?
Old 01-16-2022, 08:02 AM   #24

Crasher ..... how old are the coax cables? Coax connectors themselves (that is the connection between the twisty connector and the cable itself) can go bad .. especially the older crimp style connectors. Solution is to cut off the old connectors and replace with the newer compression connectors
Old 01-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #25

As far as I know, there are no splitters in the two OEM coax cables for the Dome antenna. They just have connectors with unions. All that I could access seemed good. There might be connections in places I cannot access. However, it seems odd that both cables would fail. It also seems unlikely that the connections can carry 13 volts power from the receiver to the Playmaker to locate the satellite but unable to return the signal to the receiver. And why would the HDMI splitter go bad at the same time? The easiest solution will be to reroute the new external cable into the roof via the center AC and into the receiver compartment when the coach goes to the dealer for it's annual servicing.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #26

Crasher, im not sure if i made myself clear. The connectors themselves can easily go bad and produce flaky/noisy results. Try cutting them all off and replacing them with new compression coax connectors.

In the home cablesystem, this is seen as static or opa "noisy" signal. For the older crimp connectors, this failure was common as the connector git older. All it takes is one ... so i would not be surprised at all if each of your two lines has a bad connector leading to flaky performance.

I should have thought of this much earlier ... sorry...

Tags
problem, satellite