Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #1

Satellite service cancelled

Today I received notice and a refund that my East coast West coast feed provided by All American Direct will cease in two days. No explanation as to why, only no longer providing the service.

My OTA antenna has never worked well so not much help getting the local channels. Dish is our provider for our home service and when traveling we take one of the smaller receivers with us which does not have DVR capabilities. I've seen an advertisement for the Hopper. I believe the new Hopper service will allow me to transfer the DVR recordings to either my laptop or IPad and then play them while on the road through our TV without the need for an internet connection. Also, it's my understanding that each time we move the coach, we would have to call Dish, tell them where we are and they will do something which will enable us to receive the local channels. Which sounds like a real pain if you move often.

Not sure what the next move is but guess a call to Dish would be it. However, before that I would appreciate any thoughts, regarding your experience with the Hopper, transferring DVR recordings so we can watch them on the road and getting service when changing RV sites.

Thanks
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
Today I received notice and a refund that my East coast West coast feed provided by All American Direct will cease in two days. No explanation as to why, only no longer providing the service.

My OTA antenna has never worked well so not much help getting the local channels.
When you get out of range of your current local TV stations, you just call DISH and ask to have your Service Address changed to your current campground address. In a few minutes the local TV stations for your area will appear in your guide.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

We have Dish at home and the 211k in the MH with $7 add to the bill. We have property in Spokane, Washington so when we make the 450 mile trip we call and give them the information and they do the switch plus if we are home for the winter I call and they turn it off then call 3 or 4 months later and they turn it on, works great.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #4

Having the east and west coast feeds was a real convenience for us. Sharon likes her reality shows, and when two occur in the same time slot I was able to record both. To get ready for the demise of AAD, I purchased a VIP211z from Amazon, added a hard drive, and now I can record her shows, one on the 211k in the living room and the other in the bedroom.

The chat room seems to work for changing the service address.

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - dishnetworkmarkets is a good resource to see where your location fits in the spot beam and the channel numbers you should be seeing.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #5

Could you expand a little on the chat room comment you made? What chat room did you use to get your service address changed and on average how long did it take for it to actually happen?
fnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Here's hope that Dish will offer DNS again...they used to, but dumped us to AAD.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 PM   #7

Log on to your Dish account online, support section, chat with rep.

The first time I tried they said they had changed, but it did not work. Went back in 10 min later and chatted with a different rep and I had the locals in about 5 mins.

It is sorta like when you call, if you get a good rep no problem, bad rep, call again.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Log on to your Dish account online, support section, chat with rep.

The first time I tried they said they had changed, but it did not work. Went back in 10 min later and chatted with a different rep and I had the locals in about 5 mins.

It is sorta like when you call, if you get a good rep no problem, bad rep, call again.
A tip I learned...when changing "Locals." On the chat room or the phone, tell them to cancel the previous locals before adding the new Locals.

The Dish reps are supposed to be following prescribed checklists for routine actions, but RV's changing locals is not typical - I would guess.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also use All American Direct and they are going out of business at the end of the month that is why.
You can get your local network channels directly through DISH though. This will be channels at your billing address. Only problem is they only spot beam these channels so once you leave the coverage area you do not get them any more. Then have to call and reset your address to whatever campground you are at.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbZilla View Post
You can get your local network channels directly through DISH though. This will be channels at your billing address. Only problem is they only spot beam these channels so once you leave the coverage area you do not get them any more. Then have to call and reset your address to whatever campground you are at.
If you use My Account at www.mydish.com, you will have a Billing Address and a Service Address. Local channels are set by your Service Address.

When you call DISH (or use Chat), ask them to change your Service Address to your current campground. Local TV stations will appear in your program guide a few minutes after they change your Service Address.

Then you'll have local news and weather (could be handy for Spring storms!) in HD for free.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #11

RJEV-

We have the Hopper with Sling at home and can transfer our recordings to our laptop or ipad through our home wifi and then watch them on the road. It does take some time, sometimes longer that the program itself to transfer them, but you can cue multiple recordings up overnite to transfer. You can only transfer a program once. Along with that free app is the dish anywhere where your tablet or pc becomes an extension of your hopper at home as long as you have an internet conenction and you can watch live tv and recordings off your hopper at home but then you get into the whole streaming thing and need a great internet connection.

For local networks, we call when we move and within 10 minutes we have that area's locals. I do wish you could do that online, because once in a while you get a cs rep who is clueless and you end up calling back.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #12

John and Jeanette,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you're doing exactly what we want to do. Few questions if you don't mind.

Once you have transferred a recording to your laptop or Ipad does it still stay on your home DVR? How many recordings can you transfer at one time. I guess much would depend on the capacity of ones laptom/Ipad?

It seems from others that since I only have a dome satellite I would not be able to use the hopper in the coach. Would I have to get a non hopper receiver to use in the coach or could I just use the hopper receiver? Or could I get a receiver with DVR, record at home on that receiver, take it with us and watch what's recorded on it. I guess if that works not sure if the hopper would be the way for us to go. Never had much luck with RV parks wifi so the slingbox and streaming could be problematic.

As you can tell this is very confusing for us. It was fairly simple with AAD.
A little off topic but how do you like your Newmar? We've pretty much decided that model is our first choice if we trade soon.

Thanks.
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #13

RJ-
I tried transferring a recording last night and the original stays on the hopper. I don't know if there's a limit - it probably just depends on the laptop's capacity. I also would think that if you had a receiver with dvr it would playback in the rv without connecting to the dish. Maybe some experts on this forum will confirm that. It is has also been said the dish vp211k and vp211z are the only receivers that will work with a dome. Luckilly, we had a vp211k because the z did away with a coax output. We ordered the 2013 Ventana with hd wiring. This does away with the bomb. Instead there are multiple cables, hdmi for the satellite and dvd player and coax for the cable/antenna going to the inputs of the tvs and the audio out from the main tv feeds back to the amplifier so whatever is playing on the main tv goes through the theater system. What is viewed on the tv is controlled by selecting the proper input on the tv. The only cable running from the front av cabinet to the bedroom tv is a coax for the cable/antenna. So if you only want to use one satellite receiver for the 2 tvs, you need to install an A/B box to switch the coax running to the bedroom between the satellite receiver and the cable/antenna so you need the vp211k to get the coax output though it will not be in hd.

As far as the coach - we are very happy with it. We traded our 38' 2006 Itasca Suncruiser for it a year ago and this is our first diesel. I can't believe how effortlessly it drives on the Freightliner chasis with the comfort drive. We looked at the Tiffin Allegro Red and Phaeton. We passed on the Winnebago products because our last 2 were Suncruisers that had way too many more issues that they should have. We felt the features for the price along with Newmar's reputation was the best value. The 3634 was the right size and the only thing I was worried about with the floorplan - the tv can't be viewed with the slides in - could be remedied by adding a smaller tv on the counter or dinette using wireless hdmi if it was an issue. We have an appointment in Napannee next month to get some minor warranty issues taken care of before it expires.

2013 Newmar Ventana 3634
gmpartsvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #14

Transferring recorded programs to any other medium is probably not going to happen as the recording is in a preparatory format.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, service