Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #1

Satellite Signal Finder

I have a Winegard meter that I use to find the satelite signal. For some reason I have not been able to locate signal. Even after the direct tv tech setup our new hd dish..the meter didnt pick up signal.
Just wonder what meter is the best. I think this meter has bit the dust.

Thanks
Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
rharveysr...not sure from your post what your trying to do. This for the RV or Home? Are you working with a dish you setup on the ground or one on the roof of an RV? If you have trees around it is more difficult to get a signal. I have used a Winegard finder, an it work as advertised. Also look here for some pointing help: Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
Also you should start with a zip code for your location, from this you get your 'general' pointing angles. Once your point in the 'general' direction you begin to use the Winegard to zero into the strongest signal. Also the Winegard meter needs some power and this comes from the satellite receiver, without power coming through the cable the Winegard meter will not do anything. Try this general idea: setup dish, next place meter on to dish, next run your cable into the back of the receiver. Now you should have power to the meter and can look for the strongest signal. Once set you can take the meter out and fine tune with the receiver meter and your TV.
Hope this helps you out some.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #3

I use to install Starband Internet and used a squealler bought off ebay for a few bucks.

Rich
LostTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #4

What happened is that I had Direct TV come out and install an HD dish on the portable tripod that we use when we go to the coast. Its not mounted to the trailer. When the tech left the system was working great. After he left a screen appeared on the tv that told me it was had found new software and it was down loading it..please wait. It reached about 15% complete when it seemed to freeze and never moved again. At 10 minutes I called the tech and told him what had happened. He said hit the reset button and it would start again. After the received did a reboot..the only message that I got was searching for satellite signal...which it never found.
So I figured I would check to see if in fact I was not getting signal so I whipped out my Winegard meter. Never did read any signal with the meter! That is the reason I wanted to know what everyone else uses to detect signal...I never have been able to get this meter to work..Maybe its toast as well. Looks like I will need to call Direct Tv back and let them know what happened. Good thing is that the trailer is sitting in my driveway with a clear path to the south so I know there is nothing blocking the signal..
So there it is...
Oh yea..the tech used a Bird Dog Meter...that was a cool unit.

Rick
Old 08-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Given what was going on at the time of failure, the first thing I'd verify is that power is going from the receiver to the dish. As was mentioned, the Winegard bird finder will be dead as a doornail if there's no power going out to the dish.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #6

Rusty...
That was one thing I was wondering about myself. I do know that when the meter is getting power from the receiver a light comes on inside the meter. I was able to see that light clear. Even if sat. signal was not getting to the receiver but power was getting to my meter...I should have been able to read signal there at the dish where I had the meter connected.
I need to get my hands on another meter just to make sure that my meter is working or its toast.
Isnt finding signal fun!

Rick
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Suggestion: Dump the meter

Those meters all have oen fault... They peak on any satellite that broadcasts in the right band and they do NOT tell you which bird you are looking at.. So 82, 91, 101, 110, 119, 129, it can't tell the difference. One of those is the bird you want.

INstead pick up a low cost color portable TV that runs on either internal batteries or 12vdc and hook to your outside TV outlet and watch the ANTENNA POINTING page on your receiver, much better

Even better yet is the antenna pointing software on a Dish Network receiver...

Direc tells you if it is the right bird

Dish tells you what bird you are looking at so you know which way to move.. Don't get any better than that!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #8

sounds like a bad/loose connection to me

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #9

I would agree with the loose connection but I was connected into the block right out side of the dish...and I had power coming from the receiver. What needs to happen is that they need to come out and do some testing.
Good thing we dont have a trip planned to the weekend after the holiday in September. That gives me plenty of time to get it working correctly...

Rick
Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #10

My guess is a glitch in that new software download. When we had dish network (05) it would crap out several times weekly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #11

Is the meter a sf 1000? I have a similar meter that I used for my old dish. I'm not sure that it will work thru the multiswitch on your new HD antenna. If anyone out there knows the answer, please speak up.

Meters that will work for sure cost around $100. They are a much better solution than a TV because the signal meters on the HD receivers are delayed more than the SD receivers. Also, additional steps are required after peaking the 101 and 119 to get the strongest signal on the 99 and 103 because the signal peak is much narrower.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote