Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #1

Satellite TV?

Average cost per month?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Dish or Direct will add it as a extra bedroom if you have their service at you home.
Texomacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #3

I have no home and no satellite!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We're paying just over $100/month for HD DVR, full list of HD channels and 4 wireless receivers with DirectTV
Old 08-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #5

It depends on how many channels you want. The minimum is in the $30 range and the max a little over$100
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
If you have no s/b home, then your pricing would be the same as if you were equipping your home: as noted packages range from the $30-50 range up to $180 or more per month if you want all premium channels, sports packages, etc. Small additional charge for each television. DirecTV has more sport package options if that's important for you. In general, DirecTV costs more than Dish - we have DirecTV because it's the only option at our s/b condo so we just carry one receiver to the RV when we're going on a trip, so the RV is no additional cost for us.

The phone reps at Dish are reputed to be more "RV-savvy" than DirecTV but I have no personal experience with that.

If you're starting from scratch, also factor in the cost of a dish and installation, and an inverter if you want to be able to use satellite without hookups or generator. You can only get DirecTV in HD if you have an "open-faced" dish, whereas you can get Dish in HD with just a dome, which are generally less expensive.

Happy travels!
Old 08-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #7

One thing you may want to think about if you have directv at home see if one of the tech in your area will set you up with the new Directv dish then you can use your home HD54 on the road cost 7.00 bucks.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
One thing you may want to think about if you have directv at home see if one of the tech in your area will set you up with the new Directv dish then you can use your home HD54 on the road cost 7.00 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post

To the OP. I pay around $80 month with one receiver using pay as you go through Dish. I think it is cheaper if you sign up for a longer plan. A lot depends on what channel package you choose.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

Dish, $50/Month, w/DVR, 120+ channels and that probably 115 more than I watch
Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

Probably should just call Dish and discuss it with them.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check Craigslist for a Tailgater and receiver. It is small and light auto tuning and can be moved from under the trees. I picked one up for under $200. Then call Dish and get the package you want $35 and up. They also have Dish on demand you only pay for the month that you use it. HD and SD
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #12

You pay about $.03 each to watch 100's of commercials per day.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:18 PM   #13

I got a Tailgater refurb from an RV supplier in Texas for $250. I pay $50/month pay-as-you-go from Dish because I have DirecTV at the house and I'm locked in a contract. Next summer I'll cancel that contract, go to Dish at the house then Dish will be$7/month in the RV.
FirstTracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #14

You can find receivers on EBay.......make sure, if you go this route, that it's an owned unit, and not leased....I've bought 3 and had good luck, $30 a piece.....but you need to get one for the service you go with....Direct or Dish.....the receivers come with a serial number on them, and the server will need that number to be able to issue a program card with the program selection you pick.....that card needs to stay with the receiver it's assigned to....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, satellite tv