Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #1

Satellite TV

We bought a dish receiver and also have a roof mounted satellite on our class a. We chose dish because it can be cancelled and account put on hold for the portion of year we are not using our motor home. We do not have dish at home (we have cable). My question is time shifting which I do at home all the time with my cable dvr. Is there a way with some kind of device to be able to time shift on the road? Is there a device I can buy? Can I buy a dvr? I have an ‘ordinary’ dish receiver I bought a few years ago at camping world. When we are ready to hit the road we just call dish and activate service. Also we are from the northeast and avid eagles fans. Is there anyway we can get eagles games? My understanding is that nfl games are only available with direct tv.
We have a 2004 fleetwood which we use for a few months in winter. We had flat screen TVs put in but we have the original weingard antenna. Do we need a new antenna or adapter to pull in today’s tv signals?
SmootZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All Dish 211 series receivers can be outfitted w/ DVR functionality...just need to buy and install an external hard drive (USB connected) just like a PC or laptop.
There is a 1 time fee of $40 per account to activate the DVR firmware in the receiver(s).

The 211Z and 211W (Wally) can receive over the air (OTA) DTV with the addition of a tuner dongle (USB connected).
The 211K has the OTA tuner inside the box

See what is needed here:
https://www.dishformyrv.com/accessories

Can't speak specifically to NFL coverage, but with "the locals" on your SAT, Fox will have some games.
And the Dish NFL Channel is discussed here:
https://www.mydish.com/station/NFL

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #3

Note that your existing winegard batwing antenna will work just fine for your flatscreen TVs. Each new location you will have raise it, point to local stations and have TV scan for stations.
bobsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Dish 211K has the over the air tuner internal and doesn't need the dongle.
Any external hard drive will work. Does not have to be externally powered.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Smoot, your regular antenna will work ok with the new TV's. I have an 02 Diplomat, have replaced both TV's with Digital and old Antenna works fine. Good luck with yours.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #6

Check the coverage area for Dish’s spot beam for Philadelphia and sign up for local stations. You might be surprised how far away you will be able to get Philadelphia Chanel’s. Dish does have some NFL coverage above what is carried nationally.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't answer your question but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

I am not sure what time shift is? You mean record and watch later on the dvr? I assume if you have a dvr and the sat antenna is up and running when what you want to record is on I do not see why not. Been a while since i had a dvr.

I know for Nfl football once you leave the philly spot beam you will be SOL most weeks on catching the eagles games. You can use over the air or even get local channels on the sat but lets say you went west of the missiissippi you would be out of philly spot beam and have to set up new local channels for lets say houston tx for example. You can then wattch NFl on the local channel but keep in mind the houston local channel aint showing a lot of eagles games, One game will be the texans game, other games will be games that effect the texans and then whatever game they think most people in that area want to see.

With direct you can at least get the package if you want it bad enough.

Seeing east coast teams play on sunday is gettting tough. Broncos, rams, charges, raider, niners........of one of those teams are playing it is the game i am gonna be stuck watching unless i pay direct for the package or find a sports bar. I have got real good at finding the closest buffalo wild wings to catch games on sunday. I avoid "local" Sports bars because most times they are not "sorts bars" but a bar with a couple tvs that have espnews or sports center playing with no sound.

Hoe ya dnt like Flyer Hockey, following hockey is even harder on the road unless you purchase the nhl package.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite tv, satellite