Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #1

Security Cams, Wifi, but no internet.

Hello,

I am a network support guy, so you would think I would know the answer to this, and I cannot seem to find anything definitive on this topic.

I am looking at Blink and Wyze cams to use on and around my RV. I will have an access point /wireless router plugged in and working in the RV even while rolling down the road, so technically there will always be a 'wifi' signal for the cameras to talk to. What they will not have is an active internet connection beyond that gateway, and since I am going to rely on LTE 3g/4g internet, I am not sure I want the cameras chattering back and forth with trying to send motion alerts to my phone, etc. Could get spendy fast.

If I can use my smart phone, on the same wifi (no internet mind you) signal, and see the cameras, and then if needed, pull the chip out of the camera to get to the recordings, that would be sufficient for me.

I don't need anything recording to the cloud, or to get push alerts, etc..

I think it would be great to have these battery powered Wyze cams working as we go down the road.. then once we get to our spot, take them out and set them in a tree so it can see the entire site.. If I hear something weird in the night I can open the app on my phone and access that camera and see what is up without even getting out of bed and if needed, I can pull the SD from the camera and look at those mp4 files stored there.

Is anyone using anything like that? I have a couple of cameras already, I may just put them on their own internetless (new word) network and test.

If you have something else that works, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks!

Happy trails!
Ivel501s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #2

That's a great idea. I'm interested in what you find out.
mwachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that will work for you.
We use a wireless router(not connected to internet) to send documents to our printer. Should be the same principle.
M&MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
A GoPro can record video to it's internal SD card. A phono can record video to it's internal memory and or SD Card. But a Wifi connected camera assumes an internet connection and it stores it's images in the Cloud again, accessed via the internet.

While WiFi is just another LAN connection to your router there is no storage device on your router you need a WAN connection or as described above a video recorder with built in memory.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #5

I use the Wyze cameras and they work well.

The memory card can be accessed from the Wyze app to play back events. There is no need to remove the card. I never had the cameras connect to the cloud and they do everything I want.

Also several cameras can be viewed at the same time on a phone through the app. They come with a 110V adapter with a USB connection but they operate on 5V. I just plug the USB into a 12V adapter like used to charge a phone or other devices on 12V and they work perfectly. Also, the motion detector can be programmed to operate certain hours and push a notice to a phone if motion is detected.

Easy, inexpensive and very slick
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
But a Wifi connected camera assumes an internet connection and it stores it's images in the Cloud again, accessed via the internet.
My Geeni cameras store the video on their internal SD cards. No cloud storage is used.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you have a camera what uses the internet to sign-in, that could cause an issue.

You can setup the Wyze cameras with RTSP which you can connect directly to the IP address. I played around with it and it work ok, but stopped using it because I went with different cameras and always have an internet connection.

Wyze Cam RTSP
https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...-Wyze-Cam-RTSP
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #8

I'm almost positive you can do this. I personally like the Amcrest line of cameras, with on of the big reasons being that they are hosted on American servers, if you want to view them remotely. I just saw this come out and it looks interesting. Looks like the video is stored on the hub and I don't know why you couldn't set up a LAN in your RV, without internet, to view video.

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Secur...%2C544&sr=8-13
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #9

Seems to me you're describing an "old-school" IP security camera and monitor and not the Wyze-style cameras.

Which brings up this thought: could a wifi-enabled dashcam be used?
Old 03-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #10

The WYZE v3 cams appear to have much better night vision than the v2. I'd suggest waiting until they become widely available.

I have noticed with the v2 cams that the output of the infrared LEDs seems to decrease over time.(4 months)
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #11

Some info:

https://www.ipcent.com/home/articles...k-or-ip-camera

https://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/sec...on-ip-cameras/

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdev...ws-10-devices/
Old 03-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #12

A good cheap(ish) self contained system with dvr from ubiquiti might work well for you.
It could also give you a starting point to add other cameras like the wyze cams but those cameras would need to be reflashed with firmware that allows rtsp connections.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Seems to me you're describing an "old-school" IP security camera and monitor and not the Wyze-style cameras.

Which brings up this thought: could a wifi-enabled dashcam be used?
No. "Old School" would be analog cameras connected to a VCR via coax. This will do what he wants. Wyze appears to be an Amazon deal. I have several of these (Amcrest WiFi cameras) connected to a router at a vacation property and when my phone is on the same wifi network I do all of the things he's describing and more. I have the router connected to the internet so I can perform the same functions remotely from anywhere, which he doesn't want to do, but COULD if he wanted to.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivel501s View Post
Hello,

I am a network support guy, so you would think I would know the answer to this, and I cannot seem to find anything definitive on this topic.

I am looking at Blink and Wyze cams to use on and around my RV. I will have an access point /wireless router plugged in and working in the RV even while rolling down the road, so technically there will always be a 'wifi' signal for the cameras to talk to. What they will not have is an active internet connection beyond that gateway, and since I am going to rely on LTE 3g/4g internet, I am not sure I want the cameras chattering back and forth with trying to send motion alerts to my phone, etc. Could get spendy fast.

If I can use my smart phone, on the same wifi (no internet mind you) signal, and see the cameras, and then if needed, pull the chip out of the camera to get to the recordings, that would be sufficient for me.

I don't need anything recording to the cloud, or to get push alerts, etc..

I think it would be great to have these battery powered Wyze cams working as we go down the road.. then once we get to our spot, take them out and set them in a tree so it can see the entire site.. If I hear something weird in the night I can open the app on my phone and access that camera and see what is up without even getting out of bed and if needed, I can pull the SD from the camera and look at those mp4 files stored there.

Is anyone using anything like that? I have a couple of cameras already, I may just put them on their own internetless (new word) network and test.

If you have something else that works, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks!

Happy trails!
The cameras I referenced meet almost all of your requirements....waterproof, battery operated, SD storage, motion detection, night vision, etc. You will need to set up a local LAN with a cheap router. Good luck

Tags
internet, wifi