Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 02:37 AM   #1

Security System - at home and at CG

I would love to be able to find a security system and camera that would allow me to see and hear all around my TT when at the campsite as well as being able to use the system when in storage.

Any thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Costco, Sam's and Walmart all carry them.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 AM   #3

Amazon carries many IP wireless pan/ tilt camera that can be accessed from a smart phone. You can see and control several. They do require power, but can be monitored over the internet from anywhere. Give them a look see.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
4-42 System.

4 Paws--42 Teeth
Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Any of several internet connected cameras with motion activation. Power and internet connectivity needed of course.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Bad campgrounds/resorts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowbRlbfw View Post
I would love to be able to find a security system and camera that would allow me to see and hear all around my TT when at the campsite as well as being able to use the system when in storage.

Any thoughts?
Are you camping on the North side of Miami? Why all the security needs...........just wondering?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Are you camping on the North side of Miami? Why all the security needs...........just wondering?
Agreed. If I was that afraid I wouldn't own or use an RV. And I'd stay home, with tons of security cameras there too, I'm assuming.

All that security to go camping? Unbelievable! I'm not that afraid, and yes, I do live in a major US metropolitan area. To be that insecure while camping boggles the mind. It's FAR FAR safer camping than most anywhere else.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Internet security and camera systems are no problem, but the catch is that you must have broadband internet access and 120VAC in the RV, even when it is in storage!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #9

I have camped and RVed for over 60 years. Here is a list of the crimes, assaults, break-ins, larceny, and petty theft I have experienced:

K?
Relax! Enjoy!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I have camped and RVed for over 60 years. Here is a list of the crimes, assaults, break-ins, larceny, and petty theft I have experienced: .................... K? Relax! Enjoy!
Funny, but true. I think you've sorta confirmed my point, as well as a couple others.
I hope the OP comes to recognize it's more fun to go without the need for fears inhibiting the incredible pleasures of RV travels and camping. Life is good! Have fun and enjoy it! :-)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:54 AM   #11

OP post wasn't expressing any fear, just a request for tech info. Valid request, I don't see where negative comments were of much help.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We want it to keep an eye on our dog while we are away. He has some health issues and it would give us some comfort to know he is sleeping soundly.

It is also usable at home. We just had the alarm company call to indicate an alarm went off there and if we had the camera we could have looked to see if it was an intruder or not.

The question has been answered, however, there are plenty of these systems available. You can check out Bright View which sell simple cameras and add ons no pc or ip address required. You access it from an app on your smart phone.

Amazon.com: Brite-View BVC-500C Plugcam 500MB/s Powerline Home Network Camera Starter Kits (White): Camera & Photo

I learned of these through this website. My first ordered camera did not work properly but others have recorded success with this set up. Before it gave out I did see how it provided good views for me. I reordered and will see when my new order comes in how effective it will be.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanova View Post
Agreed. If I was that afraid I wouldn't own or use an RV. And I'd stay home, with tons of security cameras there too, I'm assuming.

All that security to go camping? Unbelievable! I'm not that afraid, and yes, I do live in a major US metropolitan area. To be that insecure while camping boggles the mind. It's FAR FAR safer camping than most anywhere else.
How was this helpful to the OP?

If I kept my RV in storage I think I would install a camera. There have been more than a few posts here about break ins in storage facilities.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #14

Thanks for the positive input from those that had it to give.

Otherwise...it might be important to note that not all RV owners use them purely for vacationing or having fun, some (like me) use our RVs as an extension of our office/job site/event/projects. You might think of it as being a gypsy or a carnie in a rewarding and potentially stressful environment.

Some locations are in a CG...some locations are not, sometimes in a disaster area, sometimes in undesirable areas, sometimes in terrible weather and sometimes in more remote areas.

I travel all across the country doing Government, industrial and municipal projects, sometimes working from my RV, sometimes at a client's office, sometimes out in the field and other times traveling between client locations/offices/event sites.

@dogfolks...leaving a dog in my RV is not reasonable when I may be away from my RV for days at a time or when in storage.

@palehorse89....yes I am usually on the northside of miami...a majority of the US is too for that matter. Why my concerns...? Sorry, it was obvious to me....I guess I should have explained that I would prefer to keep what I own, keep my people and equipment safe as possible. The more I can do so, the better.

@Rowanova - The incredible pleasures of RV travels and camping is not everybodys reality, nor is it the only experience when at a campsite. Other people live in your world. Other people are also helping others during disasters and prefer not to be preyed upon... security of life, limb and possessions is important.

@CampDaven - I would not begin to know where you have been in your 60yrs of camping and RVing. Bless your heart....I am glad you have had nothing occur. Good for you.

Similarly, I (my company and colleagues) have been involved/in US jobs and south america, africa, asia, the westbank...incuding tornados, hurricanes, building collapses, bridge fails, transportation, utility, public, mine, dam and roadways projects/incidents....

I have seen the results of desperate people and would prefer to set my brand new trailer up in the way I see fit....without distraction or ridicule from apparently self involved, silly responses.

okay...I am off my soapbox.

It would seem there needs to be some kindness+wisdom applied around here.

take care!
Closed Thread