Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 11:41 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Setting up Starlink Internet in my RV

After considerable thought about jumping into Satellite Internet for use in the stick house and RV, I decided to pull the trigger on a Starlink system when the "portability" feature was added to the service a few days ago.

Starlink is concentrating right now on "rural" areas first for their new customers. I have a place in AZ in Lake Havasu City. I made a deposit of $99 to get on the waiting list. Four days later I received an email that the unit was being prepared for shipping. A week later it was delivered. The set up kit contained a 19" X 12" rectangular dish with a mast attached, a four legged metal base with a hole for the mast, 75' of heavy cable, and the router.

I opted to go for the Starlink even though our T Mobile 5G router is working quite well in many populated areas. However, when you get away from a population center all bets are off. The Starlink set up is quick and easy, and taking the parts apart for transport is 2 minutes. For the set up the dish automatically searches and locates the satellites, so extended periods of aiming the dish (like Direct TV required) are eliminated. Plug in the dish, plug in the router and watch. Usually takes a few minutes to locate satellites and lock on.

I needed to find a route to feed the satellite cable from the inside of the rig to the dish. The cable that comes with the setup is a 75' heavy cable with plugs that look like mini USB plugs, but is a Starlink proprietary plug. The plug from the antenna is a straight connector, but the plug from the router is a "L" shaped plug. I located a pass through in my Aqua Hot bay that had a cable pass through to under the sink in my half bath. Several other cables and wires were already running through the opening, but I needed to be able to fish the Starlink cable easily through the opening as I move the dish and router from the RV to the house and back. Eventually I will purchase another cable to leave permanently in the RV.

For ease of installation I used a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe about 14" long. Working from the bottom Aqua Hot bay I slid the pipe up into the cable opening. To check the pathway first I used a strong flashlight from the bottom with the DW in the half bath with the under sink open. When she could see the light beam brightly, I replaced the light with the PVC pipe. With a little wiggling and upward pressure, the PVC pipe appeared in the sink cabinet opening. To route the cable to the bedroom where the router would sit on the dresser I used a spade bit to make two 3/4" holes in the cabinet, and the side wall into the bedroom.

Then working from the bedroom, routed the cable through the wall, in back of the toilet and into the sink cabinet. The cable slid easily through the PVC pipe and into the Aqua Hot bay. I pulled most of the wire into the bay, then coiled it up and hung the wire from the top of the cabinet. When hooking up the dish, I can feed as much cable out of the door to the to the dish location and plug it in.

Then just attach the other end to the router and plug it into a wall outlet. The dish goes from a stored vertical position, to a flat horizontal position when it starts to scan for satellites. A cell phone app on your phone allows you to monitor the progress of the setup as well as some other monitoring functions. Within 2-4 minutes the dish is on line and hooked up to the satellite array.

The dish worked well at the stick house, and my first trip was to Grand Canyon Caverns RV park in the mountains AZ. Nice scenic area, but zero cellular signal. I set up the rig and then put the dish out on the drivers side of the rig in an open area. The dish performed as designed, and for the next several days we had high speed internet for streaming, surfing, or making VOIP (voice over internet protocol) phone calls.

We paid $599 for the Starlink equipment, and monthly service is $110 a month for unlimited data with no throttling. Our average download speeds were 115 meg down, and 20 to 30 meg up. The additionally portability feature is good for anywhere in the country, and is an additional $25 a month. You can start and stop the portability feature within the app in seconds. I won't say the service is cheap, but if being connected about anywhere in the country is important, then it's worth looking into.

The downside to the service is the same as satellite TV. If you are in a heavily treed area or in a deep canyon, the dish may not be able to lock onto the satellites. And if you go to a major population center like LA, or Phoenix for example, the speeds you experience may be reduced do to congestion. That will improve though as more satellites are put into orbit.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 07:34 AM   #2

Sargew & others.....
Going through the same process to some degree. My son & I are in the process on integrating Starlink into our business. I am a full timer, he works out of his home office & from his RV when he travels.
We are both looking for substantial tripods that will allow the mounting of the Starlink Dishy.

Would be interested in seeing what other have used.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:07 AM   #3

I use the Starlink provided pipe adapter on a 12" length of aluminum pipe that's welded to my solar rack on my cargo trailer. I use the same adapter with aluminum pipe that's bolted to the ladder of my RV. I do have to remove the dish when traveling though.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:46 AM   #4
TR4

Have a look at Flag Pole Buddy, they make a Starlink setup.

https://flagpolebuddy.com/ols/produc...2nd-generation

Bill
Old 05-21-2022, 09:14 AM   #5

While I appreciate the suggestions, please read the question......

We are both looking for substantial tripods that will allow the mounting of the Starlink Dishy.

A tripod will allow for the placement of the Dishy to obtain optimum coverage. Anything attached to the RV (permanently or otherwise) is limited to where the RV is placed/parked. For example, I am presently in a RV place with significant obstructions at the rear of the RV. I would need to place the Dishy towards the front.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:33 AM   #6
YC1

https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index....uct_detail&p=7

I have this for my portable DirecTv dish. Works great. Easy to level. I do not know how the Starlink is mounted so you would need to go from there.

There is a long thread going on about the Starlink and there may be some help in it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:39 PM   #7

If you haven't already, be sure to check out this Starlink thread ....
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/star...se-512812.html
Old 05-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
I suggest either a SitePro or Seco heavy duty tripod instead of using a DISH/DirecTV tripod.

You really don't want your Dishy to blow over.

I used a Seco tripod with my old .98M HughesNet Gen 5 system. Just make sure you hang 6 or 7 gal of water under the tripod.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I suggest either a SitePro or Seco heavy duty tripod instead of using a DISH/DirecTV tripod.

You really don't want your Dishy to blow over.

I used a Seco tripod with my old .98M HughesNet Gen 5 system. Just make sure you hang 6 or 7 gal of water under the tripod.

What you are suggesting was where I initially looked. It's apparent the tripods you referenced are more substantial. Looking at the accessories & parts from the various manufacturers, it's not obvious how one inserts & secures/adjusts the antenna pole to the tripod.
Starlink sells a variety of pieces for their mounts/poles, but, I've not been able to find anything which provides for mounting of the antenna pole to the tripod.
The Dishy satellite antenna is relatively smaller & lighter than what you displayed in the attached picture. How did you mount the DISH antenna to the tripod in the picture?
Old 05-22-2022, 08:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index....uct_detail&p=7

I have this for my portable DirecTv dish. Works great. Easy to level. I do not know how the Starlink is mounted so you would need to go from there.

There is a long thread going on about the Starlink and there may be some help in it.
Have been using the one listed above of over 8 mts now. The starlink pipe adpt connect to the aluminum Heavy-Duty Mast. It folds up nice to easily fit for storage.

I'm using a tent stake, paracord, paracord camlock to keep in down - a couple nights ago, had gusts over 45 to 50 mph or higher and everything held.
Attached Images

mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
How did you mount the DISH antenna to the tripod in the picture?
My TV4RV tripod came with this adapter (see Tripod Mast) . . .

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:26 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Have been using the one listed above of over 8 mts now. The starlink pipe adpt connect to the aluminum Heavy-Duty Mast. It folds up nice to easily fit for storage.

I'm using a tent stake, paracord, paracord camlock to keep in down - a couple nights ago, had gusts over 45 to 50 mph or higher and everything held.
In e-mailing the owner and he stated that he was going to retire. There are 23 tripods left. After that there will only be parts until they are gone.

It has worked so well so far that I ordered a backup.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #13

Just placed an order for 2 ea. build your own HD Tripod & 2 ea. HD Tripod Mast.
Shipping on these items was steep. However, after several days of searching for alternatives, this appears to be my best option.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
After considerable thought about jumping into Satellite Internet for use in the stick house and RV, I decided to pull the trigger on a Starlink system when the "portability" feature was added to the service a few days ago.

Starlink is concentrating right now on "rural" areas first for their new customers. I have a place in AZ in Lake Havasu City. I made a deposit of $99 to get on the waiting list. Four days later I received an email that the unit was being prepared for shipping. A week later it was delivered. The set up kit contained a 19" X 12" rectangular dish with a mast attached, a four legged metal base with a hole for the mast, 75' of heavy cable, and the router.

I opted to go for the Starlink even though our T Mobile 5G router is working quite well in many populated areas. However, when you get away from a population center all bets are off. The Starlink set up is quick and easy, and taking the parts apart for transport is 2 minutes. For the set up the dish automatically searches and locates the satellites, so extended periods of aiming the dish (like Direct TV required) are eliminated. Plug in the dish, plug in the router and watch. Usually takes a few minutes to locate satellites and lock on.

I needed to find a route to feed the satellite cable from the inside of the rig to the dish. The cable that comes with the setup is a 75' heavy cable with plugs that look like mini USB plugs, but is a Starlink proprietary plug. The plug from the antenna is a straight connector, but the plug from the router is a "L" shaped plug. I located a pass through in my Aqua Hot bay that had a cable pass through to under the sink in my half bath. Several other cables and wires were already running through the opening, but I needed to be able to fish the Starlink cable easily through the opening as I move the dish and router from the RV to the house and back. Eventually I will purchase another cable to leave permanently in the RV.

For ease of installation I used a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe about 14" long. Working from the bottom Aqua Hot bay I slid the pipe up into the cable opening. To check the pathway first I used a strong flashlight from the bottom with the DW in the half bath with the under sink open. When she could see the light beam brightly, I replaced the light with the PVC pipe. With a little wiggling and upward pressure, the PVC pipe appeared in the sink cabinet opening. To route the cable to the bedroom where the router would sit on the dresser I used a spade bit to make two 3/4" holes in the cabinet, and the side wall into the bedroom.

Then working from the bedroom, routed the cable through the wall, in back of the toilet and into the sink cabinet. The cable slid easily through the PVC pipe and into the Aqua Hot bay. I pulled most of the wire into the bay, then coiled it up and hung the wire from the top of the cabinet. When hooking up the dish, I can feed as much cable out of the door to the to the dish location and plug it in.

Then just attach the other end to the router and plug it into a wall outlet. The dish goes from a stored vertical position, to a flat horizontal position when it starts to scan for satellites. A cell phone app on your phone allows you to monitor the progress of the setup as well as some other monitoring functions. Within 2-4 minutes the dish is on line and hooked up to the satellite array.

The dish worked well at the stick house, and my first trip was to Grand Canyon Caverns RV park in the mountains AZ. Nice scenic area, but zero cellular signal. I set up the rig and then put the dish out on the drivers side of the rig in an open area. The dish performed as designed, and for the next several days we had high speed internet for streaming, surfing, or making VOIP (voice over internet protocol) phone calls.

We paid $599 for the Starlink equipment, and monthly service is $110 a month for unlimited data with no throttling. Our average download speeds were 115 meg down, and 20 to 30 meg up. The additionally portability feature is good for anywhere in the country, and is an additional $25 a month. You can start and stop the portability feature within the app in seconds. I won't say the service is cheap, but if being connected about anywhere in the country is important, then it's worth looking into.

The downside to the service is the same as satellite TV. If you are in a heavily treed area or in a deep canyon, the dish may not be able to lock onto the satellites. And if you go to a major population center like LA, or Phoenix for example, the speeds you experience may be reduced do to congestion. That will improve though as more satellites are put into orbit.
Hey Sarge,

We live in Havasu as well and have had the round dishy for over a year permanently installed to replace the absolutely awful Suddenlink service.

We also have a house on the other side of the lake at the Palms and we have had the new rectangular Dishy there for months as well. We're taking it off the long side mount after the Memorial weekend and will use it with our Alpine Coach this summer. I am adding one of the pivot mounts from SL on the roof and plan to use the base that came with the unit if we need to position it away from the roof if we need a clear view of the sky.

I purchased a 150' cable to use when traveling and plan to leave my other cable in place at the Palms house.

I'd like to do one of the mods that I've seen to splice the cable with RG45 ethernet connectors and leave the short portion that plugs in to the router in place and still have the balance of the 150' cable available for Dishy when I need to move it around.

If you're in town one of these days maybe we can work on something like that together as it may be easier than pulling your cable in and out.

Safe travels!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet