RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #1

Short Term Internet access

We'll be in our RV for a few months as the kids are finishing online school and am wondering about options for short term internet access. Is there a company out there that will allow for a 3-4 month subscirption/service? We currently do not subscribe to any services for tv or internet when we are RVing.
Thanks
WECARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 09:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WECARON View Post
We'll be in our RV for a few months as the kids are finishing online school and am wondering about options for short term internet access. Is there a company out there that will allow for a 3-4 month subscirption/service? We currently do not subscribe to any services for tv or internet when we are RVing.
Thanks
Walmart. Buy a AT&T temp phone for I think $69, a Sim card for I think $10 and then buy a prepaid, unlimited data card for $65/mo. The phone cost and sim card is a one time fee. Then you pay the $65/mo. for unlimited data as you need it. I believe I got the cost right but it may vary a little depending on the options you choose. But here's the deal. Once you buy these 3 things you can use them as you need them. So lets say you bought them but now you don't need them for awhile. You keep the phone and stash it away. Then lets say you need internet service again in 6 months or so. Go back to Walmart, buy another new sim card for $10 to replace the original one, then a new prepaid data card for $65 for another months worth of unlimited data service. This is also a great way to have a back up internet service in areas where your normal internet provider doesn't cover your area. It's really a great deal for a temporary service. Go to Walmart and find out the latest details.

I learned this tip from a guy who runs a youtube channel when he was in Maine where internet service can be tough to get out in the wilderness. He's got some great tips for FTers on his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/RVstreet
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 01:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
Walmart. Buy a AT&T temp phone for I think $69, a Sim card for I think $10 and then buy a prepaid, unlimited data card for $65/mo. The phone cost and sim card is a one time fee. Then you pay the $65/mo. for unlimited data as you need it. I believe I got the cost right but it may vary a little depending on the options you choose. But here's the deal. Once you buy these 3 things you can use them as you need them. So lets say you bought them but now you don't need them for awhile. You keep the phone and stash it away. Then lets say you need internet service again in 6 months or so. Go back to Walmart, buy another new sim card for $10 to replace the original one, then a new prepaid data card for $65 for another months worth of unlimited data service. This is also a great way to have a back up internet service in areas where your normal internet provider doesn't cover your area. It's really a great deal for a temporary service. Go to Walmart and find out the latest details.

I learned this tip from a guy who runs a youtube channel when he was in Maine where internet service can be tough to get out in the wilderness. He's got some great tips for FTers on his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/RVstreet

I looked it over on Walmartdotcom, the $65 unlimited att plan does not include any hotspot data, so you would have to do all your internet work on the phone. The $75 unlimited att plan from Walmart includes 10 GB of hotspot data which isn't very much. Please let me know if there's more to this then I'm seeing. Alternatively, Cricket wireless which is an Att subsidiary and uses Att cell towers has a $90 data only 100GB per month plan with no annual contracts that has been endorsed as a decent plan in 2020 by the Mobile Internet Resource Center. You would need to use this plan on a MiFi hotspot or mobile hotspot router.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Visible is a non subscription service running on the Verizonwireless 4G LTE network, unlimited Hotspot for $40/mo or ls low as $25/mo with their Party Play

Visible Plans

Party Play

Nomad Internet is another month to month prepaid service

Nonad Internet Plans
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #5

Depending where you are will dictate coverage! Visible for sure is a pretty good deal and easy switch on and off. You might need a back up other provider network depending where you are planning to be. Check out the coverage maps in the areas you are targeting to be and see which ones offer the best coverage.

Enjoy the trip.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #6

Visible works pretty good for me

$25 for the service & about $75 for a phone
Old 12-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #7

The OP said he has kids that are finishing online school. I thought Visable only hotspots to one device at a time. How will the kids do their online studies all at the same time, each using their own device? What other technology is needed for the OP to use Visable for multiple devices? I might need to know myself if I ever loose the Verizon Legacy PulP.

Tags
internet