Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Should I Place My TracVision R6 By the Curb?

We're been struggling to get satellite reception since February, the absolute best results have been ten channels that stumble and flicker.

The system is a TracVision R6 with SYS SW Ver. 1.11 software. In Tucson at the dealer, the installer got it to work in Manual mode using 119/110. Even then, only a few of the Dish guide channels worked, maybe ten.

I have been able to duplicate those results in our driveway, and at about one out of every five campsites.

That is, until the 4th of this month 100 miles to the North, when it failed to locate either 119 or 110, the two major Dish satellites in this region. I've done a continuity check from the dome, about twenty factory resets, cleaned the dome and the antenna itself. I've tried a line amplifier, also to no avail. It's as if there are no satellites, according to the TracVision system.

Now, the wife says that KVH wants $50 to chat with her at their tech support site. Other iRV2 posters have revealed that software upgrades (I'm guessing my unit is not communicating with the antenna, eg software problems) can cost half as much as the unit itself.

Given the abysmal service this system has provided us during the last six months, I'm inclined to remove it from the bus and replace it with a unit more appropriate to RV application, one with better customer service.

Any ideas, or similar experiences? Is KVH a company we should as a group avoid?
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Yes the curb! Get a Winegard Trav'ler... you won't be sorry... except then you will want new HD flatscreen TVs!
Old 07-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

KVH is the absolute worst. I had one of their dishes and had nothing but problems with little support. Now have Traveler dsh, the best!
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #4

I spent "a lot" of time trying to figure out my K6 KVH unsuccessfully.
As a last resort, to please DW I called and paid $100 to fix it.
Was worthed, they did upgrade the software (laptop required) and they did make sure it worked properly.
Just to found out that "BellExpressVu" was not available in USA and the only one "Shawdirect" was NOT compatible with them....
Turn out to purchase a tripod . Not convince that a roof mounted dish is the right solution unless you camp in a parking lot without trees.....
I would pay again $100 but this time right from the beginning. Once you have paid the support is excellent with knowledgeable people.
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurier View Post
As a last resort, to please DW I called and paid $100 to fix it.
I'm tempted to do just that; but, looked at the rather technically sparse KVH website and see that there are no listed updates for my model.

As an alternative, I ran the diagnostics and copied the Bit Error and AGC Level failed test levels, emailed their tech support.

Being as positive and optimistic as I could, I've told KVH that there are thousands of us waiting for them to indicate, given the advance in technology and new products on the market, if their product is worth spending money on.

Thanks for your account, glad it worked out for you.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

I believe that you have figured out that dated, inferior, technology, provides intermittent, inferior results.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #7

Before you throw it in the trash I suggest you
google " KVH Flash Update Wizard " and down load it to your computer. Then go to Radio Shack and purchase the two cables needed to update your unit, approximately $100.

The update instructions are simple and available on the KVH website with a little searching.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Before you throw it in the trash I suggest you
google " KVH Flash Update Wizard " and down load it to your computer. Then go to Radio Shack and purchase the two cables needed to update your unit, approximately $100.

The update instructions are simple and available on the KVH website with a little searching.
Excellent suggestion.
Only one cable is required. USB1 port on KVH6 unit. They suggest a few specific brands for compatibility.
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Just removed my KVH LM in motion from 2002. It cost over $2000 installed.

I installed a Winegard In-Motion Dome (we do not need HD on the MH) for $950 and it works great out of the box.

It took about 1 hour to install the new dome. It will take longer to remove all the Dicor from the KVH installation. I removed about 60 feet of unused power cable from the KVH installation and really cleaned up the video cabinet. The roof top footprint is about 60% that of the KVH also.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis 05 Jeep Wk
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #10

In April I bought a coach with a KVH R5 SL in-motion satellite dome. On Sat I finally figured I would hook up to Dish network, so I bought a box and was told it was plug and play. I tried unsuccessfully today to hook it up, after spending many hours on tech support lines I was told I needed to go to a authorized KVH dealer for updates and a power supply grounding block. Everything in the coach is top shelf and working and I'm pretty happy with it, but I find this a bit frustrating! Any help would be much appreciated!
LivinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My KVH went to the curb so to speak. It was replaced with Trav'ler and we are very happy.

I had tried the DIY upgrade to KVH and it just quit, perhaps an operator error, and KVH said take it to a dealer. So I took it to the curb.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote