Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sirius XM Issues

We purchased a gently used Tiffin Red about 18 months ago. From the beginning we have had a problem with the Sirius XM radio. We have had new signals sent to the device several times to no avail. The problem is that the radio frequently doesn't work. The regular radio doesn't seem to have the same problem.

I did read and older string regarding problems with the Sirius XM radio and tried to respond but the link was too old. So here I am starting the discussion again.

Does the regular FM use a different antenna than the Sirius does? If so, where is the Sirius antenna located as I only see one antenna for radio on the roof of our rig. If not, why is it that the regular FM doesn't seem to have the same problem as the Sirius XM? Is it possible that there is a loose connection on the back of the radio to the Sirius module (if that is a thing)?

Any advice/information that you could share with me would be appreciated. I don't know if we have the expertise or knowledge to disconnect antennas, but we could certainly, between my husband and I, check for lose wiring.
Thanks,
Leanne
hitlinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2022, 01:48 PM   #2

XM does use a separate antenna typically it is about a 2” square, about 1” high. It may be roof mounted sometimes under a small plastic dome. It may also be laying under the dash somewhere, especially if it was added after the coach was built. You should have a XM receiver dongle plugged into the back of your radio, into that dongle the antenna will attach. If you can access the back pf the radio you will be able to check/reseat both connections. If you suspect either the antenna or dongle is bad they are easily available and not about $50 or less.

Typical antenna pic below.
Attached Images

Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 02:22 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
When you state that "frequently doesn't work" I take that to mean that sometimes the Sirius XM sometimes does work? I know on my truck that the XM will not work where I commonly park it here at home and also in certain locations in the mountains. Does your motorhome have a clear view to the sky when the XM doesn't work? If not then that could be an issue. ~CA
Old 01-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #4

If your intermittent connection, you get something like 'check antenna', you probably just have a loose antenna connection. In our '14 Open Road, the Sirius antenna wire was bundled under the dash and plugged in to the Sirius adapter for the radio. The wire bundle was just dangling with a zip tie. I just ensured antenna connection was secure and rebudled the excess wire and zip ties to the adapter - no more loose connection, no more check antenna. The basic issue was the weight of the wire bundle pulled on the connector and rough roads did the rest. YMMV.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #5

My 19 Allegro Red has two antennas on the roof where the front cap meets the flat roof. One one each side of the roof, the antenna is flat and quite small. not much bigger than 1.5" square and not even 1/2" high. I believe one of them is the GPS for the Kenwood NX775 Navigation Device. The other one is Sirius. I don't know which of the two is Sirius.

My reception is very poor when pointed south, and in AZ, NM noticeably worse than say in Utah or Colorado. That is due to the satellite 'footprint'. I also don't know if the installed antenna is omni directional or not.

I do not used the installed Sirius 'head'. I have a lifetime subscription so I use my portable Sirius radio. Now that Sirius has bought XM I lose out on the XM side but with my lifetime (read that as free subscription - nearly 20 yrs now) I'm not about to upgrade. First I tried using the roof installed antenna on my portable by unplugging it from the installed Sirius head. It is very poor reception, frequently losing the signal.

Now I use one of the antennas made for home use, it looks like the photo Steve-W posted. I have it sitting on the dash against the window. Works 'ok', better than roof antenna but not great. I have a better antenna made or outside use but I'd have to feed it through the window or drill a hole somewhere. I'm not interested enough to do that.
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:13 AM   #6

My XM antenna is double sided taped to the underside of the front end cap just below where the clearance lights are located. The end cap is very thin there. There was fiberglass insulation that I pulled away while installing and then pushed it back.
mrboyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #7

Mine is up front

My 2017 3401 came XM ready from the factory. My antenna is on the roof, aft of the cap on the passenger side. It is magnetic and adheres to a small square metal plate that is painted white, screwed down in the corners and caulked all around. As previously stated the antenna is a small square black in color. Don't know if they relocated it on later models or not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xm antenna.pdf (1.20 MB, 25 views)
Old 01-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
My XM antenna is double sided taped to the underside of the front end cap just below where the clearance lights are located. The end cap is very thin there. There was fiberglass insulation that I pulled away while installing and then pushed it back.
That is a good idea, I will look into doing that. On my rig it would be mounting it directly behind the the TV but against the shell. thanks
TiffinUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:11 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is an update... OK... we have yet to have the radio issues looked at. However, I think the problem with the XM radio is the antenna. There is a wire that suddenly hung down from the inside front windshield cap. It is labeled, "Front Ground." Is unscrewing the end cap to see where this wire is supposed to be connected a pretty easy thing to do? I don't want to take the cover off if it is a problem to put back in place. Is there anything anyone can share with me on this issue?
Thanks,
Leanne
hitlinks is offline   Reply With Quote