RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
SK-3005...Searching, searching, searching

When I bought the coach 2 years ago, the dealer installed a Winegard SK-3005. I have purchased a DirecTV receiver and want to, finally, get connected to DirecTV.

So, today I was at the storage facility and powered up the Winegard so I could start the fun with DirecTV Customer Service. Well, it wasn't much fun, because I could not get beyond searching for a satellite signal. I put in a call to Winegard Customer Service; left my name & number and waited for a call back. It didn't happen.

So, my question for anyone is, "How long should the SK-3005 continue searching for a satellite?" I waited more than 10 minutes. It would change elevation, rotate around, pause, change elevation, rotate around, etc. I tried to power down and reattempt the process with the same results. One other item that may, or may not, be relevant - the coach was NOT level during this process. After several attempts and a 45 minute wait for a call back from Winegard Customer Service, I powered down and went home.

So, before I try again sometime, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks, in advance.

Take care,
Stu
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #2

What receiver are you using? The new H25's are SWM only and will not work right off with the SK-3005.

Did you go to Settings and select Slimline-5 and Multiswitch?
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid
What receiver are you using? The new H25's are SWM only and will not work right off with the SK-3005.

Did you go to Settings and select Slimline-5 and Multiswitch?
It's a HR24 receiver. Yes, the settings show Slimline-5 and Multiswitch.

HOWEVER, the antenna NEVER acquired any of the satellites. It just kept searching.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I have to ask.

Are you sure it had clear line of sight to the DirecTV satellites from where it was parked?

Also, was the coach level? The search algorithms assume that the dish mount is level to search properly.

joe
Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
I have to ask.

Are you sure it had clear line of sight to the DirecTV satellites from where it was parked?

Also, was the coach level? The search algorithms assume that the dish mount is level to search properly.

joe
Line of sight was NOT a problem!

As I stated, level WAS a possible issue. As I look at the Winegard site, and as I think about how the Winegard might search for a satellite, it seems that level would be a significant factor.

I guess my question is, how much of a problem is an unlevel condition. Perhaps I should move the coach to a level spot and re-attempt the process.

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, I missed the comment about not being level in the original post.

Level is actually a big deal. They do a sort of grid search, and assume that they'll hit a satellite when the intersect the orbital plane. They usually do, but it's almost never the 101 DirecTV bird. So they figure out which one it was, then reposition the dish to where they think the correct one should be. If there's any significant tilt to the platform, they won't find 101 in the right place, so they keep searching.

joe
Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
they keep searching.

joe
Yeah, I was thinking that could be a likely problem.

I think that I'll move the coach to a place where I can leve it and try again.

Thanks for your help!

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
When I bought the coach 2 years ago, the dealer installed a Winegard SK-3005. I have purchased a DirecTV receiver and want to, finally, get connected to DirecTV.

So, today I was at the storage facility and powered up the Winegard so I could start the fun with DirecTV Customer Service. Well, it wasn't much fun, because I could not get beyond searching for a satellite signal. I put in a call to Winegard Customer Service; left my name & number and waited for a call back. It didn't happen.

So, my question for anyone is, "How long should the SK-3005 continue searching for a satellite?" I waited more than 10 minutes. It would change elevation, rotate around, pause, change elevation, rotate around, etc. I tried to power down and reattempt the process with the same results. One other item that may, or may not, be relevant - the coach was NOT level during this process. After several attempts and a 45 minute wait for a call back from Winegard Customer Service, I powered down and went home.

So, before I try again sometime, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks, in advance.

Take care,
Stu
Call Direct and have them reinstate your receiver 'card'. If it has set unused for over a month, it needs to be reinstated.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Call Direct and have them reinstate your receiver 'card'. If it has set unused for over a month, it needs to be reinstated.
He doesn't need the receiver to be activated to get the Winegard to point correctly. This is a dish problem, not a receiver problem.

joe
Old 03-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

He doesn't need the receiver to be activated to get the Winegard to point correctly. This is a dish problem, not a receiver problem.

joe
Thanks, Joe.

I believe that's the problem. Failure to acquire signal from any of the satellites. It's not a DirecTV issue, yet.

Further, I believe that once the coach is reasonably level, the satellite acquisition issue will be resolved. It'll be a few days before I have a chance to try that.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #11

The antenna does not require the coach to be level in any direction since the antenna does X-Y-Z adjustment completely independent of it's mount.

If the antenna has no clue where you are, especially if you have made significant Latitude changes since it last saw anything.
When mine boots, it 1st goes to where it last was, after that is pans that elevation assuming (I assume) you just moved in the region. Even a move from Ventura to Quartzsite doesn't cause it to much problem since it's a lateral move. Give it more time and see if it gives you a failure error.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff
Give it more time and see if it gives you a failure error.
Thanks, SVCJeff.

I was a little rushed and impatient last time I tried.

Next time I try, I'll level the coach and give the antenna a better chance (level and more time) to sort out where the satellites are.

Looking forward to our first extended trip in the coach in May and I'm trying to get it all set to go!

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #13

Btw... The antenna has no GPS, so it's a hunt & peck algorithm, but a really good one. I asked the factory once how it did it search, and they wouldn't talk at all, claiming there was a patent on it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff
Btw... The antenna has no GPS, so it's a hunt & peck algorithm, but a really good one. I asked the factory once how it did it search, and they wouldn't talk at all, claiming there was a patent on it.
I had presumed that the antenna used a GPS. However, while watching the antenna search, it's apparent that it doesn' know exactly where to aim. Rather, as you suggested, it's doing some sort of logical search. I'm sure it makes sense to the designers to do it that way??? I guess that it would seem easy to include a simple GPS, compass and level. With that info, it should be able to point right at the satellite constellation without any searching, right?

I know that ensuring the mount is plumb is important for portable and residential antennas. It makes sense that if the coach isn't level, solving the search algorithm would be more difficult and, logically, take more time.

The last time that the system locked on to the satellites was when it was installed by the dealer. That was about 200 miles north of it's present location; a little more than 3 degrees latitude.

So, next time, I'll move to a more level spot and give the antenna more time to complete it's search.

Thanks, again, SCVJeff for sharing your understanding of how the Winegard works.

Take care,
Stu