Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #1

Slingbox 500 - Checking if I understand...

We have a TWC Explorer DVD at home. Was hoping to access both recorded shows, and if possible, live shows while on the road in our RV.

Do I understand correctly, that if I connect a Slingbox 500 to the DVR, and have it available to the internet, that I can obtain broadcasts while on the road?

Dependent upon WiFi speeds, and or 4G/LTE signal strength, of course. Not interested in seeing this on my PC. But I have both an Oppo BDP-93 and a Samsung Smart TV, that both have wireless access. Amy I correct that either one of those should be able to access the Slingbox 500 remotely?

Wifi - Via a WiFiRanger connection, if bandwidths support. (And yes, I do understand the protocols in campgrounds without robust enough WiFi to cover this kind of usage. I play fair, and don't abuse this as a good neighbor.)

4G-LTE - Via Wilson Sleek Amplified Verizon Hotspot. We have Unlimited Data plan.

So, if I have those basics correct. Next set of questions of input are:

1) Is the Slingbox 500 the best choice for this?

2) Can I somehow download the DVR or live broadcasts remotely, while I have good connections, and then play them back at a later time?

Any other suggestions are appreciated. TIA, and best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, it will do what you want, IF you have sufficient bandwidth and data capacity on both the sending and receiving end. However, be warned, video of any type and this type of video particularly uses a lot of data and a lot of bandwidth. One hour of high quality video can typically use 1GB of data.

("And yes, I do understand the protocols in campgrounds without robust enough WiFi to cover this kind of usage. I play fair, and don't abuse this as a good neighbor.")

In my opinion, any sustained use of video such as this on a campground Wifi system constitutes abuse and should not be practiced. If one person in the campground does this it will slow down the internet for everybody else. If two or more people do it at the same time, it is very possible that nobody will get anything, including those attempting to watch video.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #3

For the type of viewing you want, the Slingbox or the Tivo Roamio are likely your only options (and with Tivo of course that's an entire DVR with monthly costs in addition to your cable company).

You need about 1.5mbps to get HD-quality from a Slingbox. Both at your home, and wherever you are on the road. However, if you have more bandwidth at each end, that never hurts. It's good you have unlimited data...as a reference with LTE, I've seen 6-7GB of data/hour get used when the Slingbox and the client can hold 4-5mbit of speed.

With the Slingbox, there's no download option so you can play it later on your mobile client.

Steve
Old 12-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Take a look at the Slingbox M1 -- costs 1/2 as much as the 500 and the M1 has built-in WiFi.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #5

Thanks to for the input. I did read the Slingbox FAQ, and unless I missed it, I'll have to get a streaming unit of some kind (Roku 3, Apple TV, Chromecast, etc. in order to view this on the Samsung TV. I was hoping the Samsung Smart TV support without the need of the attachment.

I did look over the M1, but wanted HDMI so went with the Slingbox 500. It's on the way...

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

Thought I'd share that I may have wasted money going to the Slingbox 500 over the M1. I had wanted HDMI connections, but as I was getting a jump on what was involved to set up the unit when it gets here, I ran into a link that makes it sound like HDMI will not work on much of the content coming out of my Time Warner Cable (or any Cable Company) Set Top Box. In my case, an Explorer series DVR. It has to do with copy protections, such as Select Output Control (SOC) and other protocols, pushed thru the FCC to protect studios from pirating of their material. This is all via the Digital path of HDMI protocols. So, since much of the content I'll be seeing will be delivered via the component cables vs HDMI - the extra costs to get the Slingbox 500 was probably not warranted. I have not need for the USB option that the Slingbox 500 provides, so that was not worth the extra costs.

I'll wait until I get the box, and look things over, but may return it for the M1. Just goes to show the time honored truth that 'The most expensive, is not always the best choice!)'... Should have done more Surf-Education before I bought.

Here is the link on one article I came over:

Review: Apple Lightning to 30 Pin Adapter

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 12-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #7

There are definitely channels that will have issues with using HDMI. You will want to use the composite or sure.

Steve
Old 12-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only concern I have is bandwidth.. Now I sling video around the motor home (Via Cat-5 Cable) all the time, this does not (usually) travel by radio (Wi-Fi) only by wire,, But for each hour of video I sling about a gig, Using advanced compression I have seen it down to around 1/3 Gig per hour but the quality was..... Not there.

As noted by someone above, many campgrounds just flat do not have the bandwidth needed for multiple users to stream video.....

And most Cellular plans have data limits, and those will bite you in the pocket.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The only concern I have is bandwidth.. Now I sling video around the motor home (Via Cat-5 Cable) all the time, this does not (usually) travel by radio (Wi-Fi) only by wire,, But for each hour of video I sling about a gig, Using advanced compression I have seen it down to around 1/3 Gig per hour but the quality was..... Not there.

As noted by someone above, many campgrounds just flat do not have the bandwidth needed for multiple users to stream video.....

And most Cellular plans have data limits, and those will bite you in the pocket.
I was not clear enough in my first post, sorry about that. I will not abuse RV Park WiFi's that are not robust enough to handle higher data streams. Admittedly few and far apart, but they do exist - and hopefully more will do so in the years ahead. So thanks to those of you that cautioned about this, but was not in my thoughts in anyway...

My expectations, is that I will use my Unlimited Data from Verizon. I keep buying new replacement phones off of Craigslist, to be sure I don't lose this grandfathered plan. And have roof top antenna with amplifier to assist in coverage.

If I keep the Slingbox 500, I'll use both the HDMI and Composite Cable connections - as they recommend.

At home, the Slingbox 500 will be connected via Cat5 to my router. We have the 30GB Time Warner Cable plan, so usually the data flow out of the home, is pretty solid.

Smitty
Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
30gb at home may not be enough if you watch a lot of TV.

I use cell data to view my slingbox from time to time and you need a strong signal otherwise things go slooooow and you get blackouts and stuff.

However with a strong signal it is a good way to enjoy your home shows/dvr content while on the road.
JoyalRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
smitty77

If you have problems finding phones on CL you might try
mobile_karma on eBay

I have gotten several from them and have not had a problem.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote