Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Small Carryout Dish ?

Before purchase I was curious about others satisfaction with the carryout antennas like the Winegard ( specifically the unit in the case that sets up with exposed dish ). I have used a residential unit on a tripod but it simply uses up too much storage space. I am aware that I will not recieve HD with direct tv but this is not an issue. Any help appreciated.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoakken View Post
Before purchase I was curious about others satisfaction with the carryout antennas like the Winegard ( specifically the unit in the case that sets up with exposed dish ). I have used a residential unit on a tripod but it simply uses up too much storage space. I am aware that I will not recieve HD with direct tv but this is not an issue. Any help appreciated.
If you are talking about the little Winegard MP1 "suitcase" dish that opens up with a manual antenna, I had one for a couple of years. It worked great with DirecTV. There was a slight learning curve to getting it aimed correctly, but once I got it down I could set it up in five minutes.

You really need the tripod base and a small bubble level to get the tripod fairly level before you start. Get a decent compass so you know where to aim the antenna on the correct azimuth, then set the altitude scale on the unit. Those will get you close, but you will have to fine tune the aim using a tone signal. The problem with just using an in-line signal meter is you don't know for sure which satellite you are picking up.

I learned the easiest way is to use the audible tone from the DirecTV satellite setup menu and two small walkie talkies. I would lock the transmit button down on one and put it next to the TV, then take the other outside where I could listen to the signal strength tone as I adjusted. It worked like a charm.

Be sure to set the switch type to "multi switch" and the antenna type to "18 inch round" in your receiver setup menu before you start trying to tune it.

I would still be using it but I switched to DISH and went with an automatic carryout since DISH uses multiple satellites.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish