Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Snowbirds Beware

To all Canadian Snowbirds , who lost Bell ( Express View ) service south of the 49th last winter . Beware of changing over to Shaw Direct. It appears that Shaw's new satellite has a footprint for broadcasting signal only into Canada, and they plan to faze out their 2 older satellites soon. This will leave Canadian Snowbirds with no access to Canadian news and sports while south.
Just read the article 5 mins. ago; in RV Times; and have yet to quiz Shaw , But if a dedicated roof top sat. finder for Shaw was in your plans , hold off on that expense.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

We are going to Nova Scotia this summer. Will dish network work in NS?
lyncjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyncjim View Post
We are going to Nova Scotia this summer. Will dish network work in NS?
Don't know if any Snowbirds could answer that for you. Might have to start a thread with that question.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

One can buy dish service to work in Canada. But you should be able to get the skinny from Dish re thier Satellite footprint.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #5

Here is some recent communication from Shaw.......

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your account; I am happy to assist you.

I would like to clear up some misconceptions regarding our services and the recent launch of our 3rd satellite. We believe that this rumor started as Bell also launched a new satellite this past year with a very limited footprint, and they changed a large majority of their current channels over to this new satellite. As such, they are no longer broadcasting past approximately the 45th parallel or Northern USA.

With the launch of our satellite, it will also have a limited foot print, but it is being launched to expand our ability to add new channels to our lineup. As far as we are aware at this time, we have no intention of moving our current channels to the new satellite. Our service will continue to work in Canada, the USA and parts of Mexico. We will still allow our "Snowbirds" the opportunity to watch TV at their winter homes or RV resorts in Florida, Arizona, and Mexico, etc, as we understand a large portion of our customers are in this sort of situation. You will still be able to access your programming while you are away. This is with the exception of any new channels that may be placed on the 3rd satellite (as the 3rd satellite's footprint will not service the USA/Mexico.) Any programming you are currently receiving will stay the same, just no new added channels

I hope this helps, but should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Thanks Jack, for that clarification. I'm aware of the " I read it on the internet , it must be true " now I guess that the miss-information has spread to the print media. I'll run off your post and forward it to the RV Times . Time for them to start checking , their info a little closer .

BTW. After hauling my Bell system south and getting nothing. I e mailed Shaw with the question about their intentions. The response I got was no where near as clear as the info in your post . It sounded like their plan was to move all HD channels to the new satellite to improve broadcast quality. Could be just the way it was written out , I'll dig it up and re-read.

Quick question . What date did you get this message ? Maybe Shaw clarified their policy after I was in touch.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426
Thanks Jack, for that clarification. I'm aware of the " I read it on the internet , it must be true " now I guess that the miss-information has spread to the print media. I'll run off your post and forward it to the RV Times . Time for them to start checking , their info a little closer .

Quick question . What date did you get this message ? Maybe Shaw clarified their policy after I was in touch.
Sorry Skip.....I'm guilty of the dreaded re-post from google..."read it on the Internet" research. Not original research, but here's the answer to your question...

This entry was posted on: Thursday, June 6th, 2013 11:12:06 and is filed under RV Adventures

Hopefully someone with "direct" communication with Shaw will be along soon to add to the discussion.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who watches TV anymore especially for news. Wi-Fi and a good laptop tells it all baby without some twelve year old who cant pronounce to or for giving in depth lowdown. Fogedaboudid
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Here is some recent communication from Shaw.......

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your account; I am happy to assist you.

I would like to clear up some misconceptions regarding our services and the recent launch of our 3rd satellite. We believe that this rumor started as Bell also launched a new satellite this past year with a very limited footprint, and they changed a large majority of their current channels over to this new satellite. As such, they are no longer broadcasting past approximately the 45th parallel or Northern USA.

With the launch of our satellite, it will also have a limited foot print, but it is being launched to expand our ability to add new channels to our lineup. As far as we are aware at this time, we have no intention of moving our current channels to the new satellite. Our service will continue to work in Canada, the USA and parts of Mexico. We will still allow our "Snowbirds" the opportunity to watch TV at their winter homes or RV resorts in Florida, Arizona, and Mexico, etc, as we understand a large portion of our customers are in this sort of situation. You will still be able to access your programming while you are away. This is with the exception of any new channels that may be placed on the 3rd satellite (as the 3rd satellite's footprint will not service the USA/Mexico.) Any programming you are currently receiving will stay the same, just no new added channels

I hope this helps, but should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct
Wow. So Shaw is saying bell is no longer going to cover Toronto and SW Ontario. These areas are all well south of 45 degrees N. Very Interesting or is Shaw streatching the truth a bit or perhaps failed geography 101. Point Pelee ON. for example is further south than the CA - OR border @ 41.6 degrees - somethimg a lot of folks might not know. Toronto is about 43 degrees N and Most Canadians actually live south of the 49th parallel.

Nontheless, the point is made with a good heads up that Satellite footprints change.

Jack1234 - Good worthwhile post.

But I get 95% of my news off the Internet anyway so I never worry about TV. I read about 10-12 newspapers plus all the network news every day (main news items) and stream a lot of video. Don't really need TV if good high speed is available for me.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #10

I e mailed Shaw and asked them for clarification of their intentions , for programing availability while their customers are in the USA.
I told them that there is a great deal of chatter , ongoing and that this issue should be dealt with in the form of a press release to clarify their position ; I urge all Shaw customers , Snowbirds , to do the same ; we'll see what happens.
If they won't put their intentions in writing , I guess that will tell us how much they care about their , Snowbird customers.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234

Sorry Skip.....I'm guilty of the dreaded re-post from google..."read it on the Internet" research. Not original research, but here's the answer to your question...

This entry was posted on: Thursday, June 6th, 2013 11:12:06 and is filed under RV Adventures

Hopefully someone with "direct" communication with Shaw will be along soon to add to the discussion.
Your post above looked like direct communication between you and source. So it was or was not? And you believe it accurate or do not? I'm not a user but read lots of things I don't particularly have a current need for.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

Your post above looked like direct communication between you and source. So it was or was not? And you believe it accurate or do not? I'm not a user but read lots of things I don't particularly have a current need for.
Apologies...I thought my second post was clear that the information was a re-post from the NET and provided as an FWI for those of us using Shaw. I have no reason to believe it is inaccurate as it is logical & consistent with my experience with Shaw.

However....can't believe everything you find on the NET, so hopefully someone with current & direct info will be along soon to resolve this situation. Anyway ......the way all my receivers keep dying ( currently waiting for a new PVR) ...I'll likely be on the phone with them again soon to re-active this latest replacement ....so I'll ask them for an answer & post their response.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I thought so too Jack - thought you clarified - but Libero seemed to be giving it a little more weight than MIGHT be there. All that aside - I have trouble with Dish from time to time - you guys have these issues - you would think somebody could make this a more seamless process. Maybe some sort or North American satellite sharing between companies or something. It's expensive to put a satellite in orbit. Why not share for a small fee.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #14

Got a return e mail from Shaw , they say their going to call me to talk about my questions.
That could mean they have no idea what their going to do as far as service into the USA.
Or at this time they have no written policy, or they won't put anything in writing.

When I asked the question about continued availability of Shaw services of a rep, of a US firm in Quartzite , that sold Shaw systems , they assured me that , Shaw shutting down service into the USA , was a rumour started by Bell.
Time will tell.