Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Solar Kit Question ~ Suggestions Needed

I have been given the opportunity to install a 200W solar kit for our RV. I am only slightly educated on my current electronic devices. I believe these devices (Attached Photos) are used to transform power from the generator/30amp plug power into storable power for my house batteries, correct?

I am considering purchasing this 1000W inverter from Renogy for our in house needs. We will use this to charge our electronics, nothing major.
Robot Check

Can this inverter be used to allow power to be supplied to my RV outlets? Will the inverter need to be installed in my power bay and a power strip be ran into the coach? Thanks everyone!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160312_114951.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	121246   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160312_114955.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	121247  

Chris Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #2

I am GREEN when it comes to this (somebody more knowledgeable will come here soon I bet!), but I've been doing the same thing lately (extensively)......research!

You didn't say what kind of rig you have? How many batteries for storage? What kind are they? What is you energy consumption per day? Etc. MANY variables.

In my case,....I am installing 800W solar, I have 2500W inverter (which can be installed anywhere in your case BTW, taking in account cable length/gauge), four wet 6V batteries @ 232AH each. Two and two are in paralel, and two paralel banks in serial connection. I also have Isuzu 10KW diesel genset.

Wet batteries SHOULD NOT be discharged lower than 50%, which gives me ONLY 230AH at 12V. MY inverter will power all outlets, but my energy demand is greater than my capability. So,......I'm installing four extra batteries (same rating) which will double my AH per day (I'll have 450AH or so). My solar bank will recharge these fairly easy, but I'll still have to run the genset for couple of hours each day (unless driving, which I do a LOT). I boondock exclusively (never stay in campgrounds), and plug in at my friends/family when I'm visiting.

Provide more info, and I'm sure someone will have a straight answer for you.

Good luck.
Danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your top picture is a transfer switch which switches the AC power in the RV between Shore Power and Generator. The second picture is a converter which does charge your batteries on Shore Power and powers the 12 VDC devices while on Shore Power.

The inverter should be mounted as close as possible to the batteries, 4' or less is optimum. Yes you can power all the receptacles in the coach, but you will want to make sure you have the converter switched off and the refrigerator on propane.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
I am GREEN when it comes to this (somebody more knowledgeable will come here soon I bet!), but I've been doing the same thing lately (extensively)......research!

You didn't say what kind of rig you have? How many batteries for storage? What kind are they? What is you energy consumption per day? Etc. MANY variables.

In my case,....I am installing 800W solar, I have 2500W inverter (which can be installed anywhere in your case BTW, taking in account cable length/gauge), four wet 6V batteries @ 232AH each. Two and two are in paralel, and two paralel banks in serial connection. I also have Isuzu 10KW diesel genset.

Wet batteries SHOULD NOT be discharged lower than 50%, which gives me ONLY 230AH at 12V. MY inverter will power all outlets, but my energy demand is greater than my capability. So,......I'm installing four extra batteries (same rating) which will double my AH per day (I'll have 450AH or so). My solar bank will recharge these fairly easy, but I'll still have to run the genset for couple of hours each day (unless driving, which I do a LOT). I boondock exclusively (never stay in campgrounds), and plug in at my friends/family when I'm visiting.

Provide more info, and I'm sure someone will have a straight answer for you.

Good luck.
We have a 2008 Monaco Monarch with two Pro Master GC15 batteries (Linked Below) Shop Deka 6-Volt 448-Amp Golf Cart Battery at Lowes.com

Apparently they are 6v golf cart batteries...I have never really looked into them as they have performed very well of us.
Chris
Old 03-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Your top picture is a transfer switch which switches the AC power in the RV between Shore Power and Generator. The second picture is a converter which does charge your batteries on Shore Power and powers the 12 VDC devices while on Shore Power.

The inverter should be mounted as close as possible to the batteries, 4' or less is optimum. Yes you can power all the receptacles in the coach, but you will want to make sure you have the converter switched off and the refrigerator on propane.
Thanks John. Just for my education, can you please explain why we need to turn the converter off? If we forget to do this will it cause some major problems? Thanks!

Chris
Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #6

If you run the converter from the inverter, it will try to charge the batteries that are running the inverter.

That's a loop that will run down the batteries very fast.

Kind of like chasing your tail.

The simple way is what you suggested, run a power strip from the inverter.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you run the converter from the inverter, it will try to charge the batteries that are running the inverter.

That's a loop that will run down the batteries very fast.

Kind of like chasing your tail.

The simple way is what you suggested, run a power strip from the inverter.
Got it, thanks for that!

Tags
solar