Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #1

Spectrum Cell service

Looking for input on Spectrum's cell service. We currently have Verizon which has worked for us pretty well so far but the $29.99/mo plans from Spectrum sound interesting. Would appreciate any comments, good, bad or indifferent that the readers may have to offer. We don't have a Spectrum store near us and I wasn't able to get an answer about "hot spot" limitations on line our by calling the customer service number. We mostly travel east of the Mississippi river. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Spectrum uses the Verizon cell towers. Check with Spectrum - and confirm this.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #3

Read the fine print..... looks like one has to buy their monthly home internet to get the phone deals also.

From their website: "Spectrum Internet required"
Old 12-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spectrum has the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. I have had Internet cable through them for over 20 years. They have gone through several name changes and corporate restructures and none of them meant anything they do got better. The only reason I have not dropped my spectrum Internet is because my email address is will be gone the minute I drop spectrum. They were charter at the time that I first took them and I’ve had the same email addresses for 25 years which I use for business and people I contact in frequently.

I just retired and will be eliminating my spectrum account within the next year and I’ll change everything else. I’m looking at star link to replace Internet.

To get the $29.99 deal on cell phone you have to buy cable Internet TV and a landline. You can probably get cell phone service from them for $49.99 if you just take Internet. The price changes every time you bundle their services. They’re great at getting you a first months bill of $29.99 and you will watch it gradually creep up until at the end of the first year you’re paying $179.99. They just keep adding and adding and adding. I’d stay away from them.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

We have had Spectrum for several years. My brother-in-law use to use an email account with my account. I cancelled that particular account 11 years ago. he still gets email from that address.
allenb12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #6

I agree that Spectrum in general does not maintain customer-friendly business practices, often deceptive/confusing pricing games and taking advantage in areas where competition is poor. They were the only provider in my area and I was very glad to be able to stop doing business with them when I finally could. Personally I'd choose any other provider, even Visible would be better.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:31 PM   #7

Mint Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Spectrum uses the Verizon cell towers. Check with Spectrum - and confirm this.
I personally use Mint Mobile and very pleased with their Service
Several different plans to pick from
https://www.mintmobile.com
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #8

We just left spectrum for Consumer Cellular. We did not leave for bad service or customer service. We left for pee poor business decision. More on that later. First you
Must be a Spectrum internet customer to the $29 rate. Many people don’t realize this.

We had good service from them and at some point may go back to them once my panties un-wod. We had just switched from their $14 per gig rate to their $45 for unlimited when they announced their $29 plan. So I called customer service and asked about converting to the $29 plan as they said it was for existing customer also. They told me that YES existing customer can get the new rate but only for additional lines, not for my two existing lines. I said we are senior citizens only need two lines. They said sorry. So existing customers get screwed as the $29 is NOT a promotional rate but the new standard rate but existing lines need not apply.

I expressed my opinion that whoever came up with this is an idiot and they should expect a significant churn in customers. So I went to CC for less that what I was paying for the two unlimited lines with enough data for what we use.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service