Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #1

Splicing coax

i was helping my friend Lincolnboy2 yesterday with his crank up jack antenna yesterday and found the coax was damaged at roof line i was able to splice this to get him going. that said i would like to seal the connections where the cable enters the metal connection. what would you use? im thinking liquid electrical tape.
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
If you can get some heat shrink tubing, you'll have to undo the splice to slide the tubing on the coax but I like the seal it provides when heated.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #3

Ok didn't think about that
Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Your idea of liquid electrical tape is great for outdoor use where it is exposed to the sun. I used it on all of my yard light connections 10 years ago and they are still working.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
YC1

First, how did you splice it? If you cut it and put ends on and a barrel then as suggested liquid tape or Scotch 33 or 88 tape. There is shrink tubing with glue on the inside as well that makes a tremendous seal.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #6

kent had the tools i cut the bad part out then put 2 metal male connectors with a female to join them together
Old 11-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I knew there was something going on with that antenna, had no idea the coax was slowly being cut each time I rotated the antenna.

But that Surelock digital signal finder doesn't work and in fact, when the gain was turned down, impeded the signal, so I took it off. Still can't figure out why it doesn't work...

Thanks again for the quick save/help Dave!

You're a lifesaver!!

Zoey thanks you too!!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
kent had the tools i cut the bad part out then put 2 metal male connectors with a female to join them together
yes, any electronic stores like radio shack or Fry's Electronic have it. make sure buy the compression type, not the claming type; and get the wheather proof type (has an o-ring inside female connector).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
yes, any electronic stores like radio shack or Fry's Electronic have it. make sure buy the compression type, not the claming type; and get the wheather proof type (has an o-ring inside female connector).
!
AND use "dielectric grease" in the coax F fittings when you screw them together.
Loctite - Dielectric Grease from Seton.com, Stock items ship TODAY, Custom ships FAST!
(Any auto parts store will have it).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #10

Thanks I have the dielectric grease in the truck
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First.... Odds are good if that is factory coax there is a connector burried in Dicor caulk in the roof (At the roof line) As I said, ODDS.. Does not mean that there is one only that the odds are good.

If you heat shrink it... Here is what I would do

First, get some MARINE GRADE heat shrink this stuff has a mastic like substance inside the tube.

Make sure it's big enough to slip on over an "F" connector (Common antenna connector)

Now dress both ends and apply F-Connectors

Apply a barrel connector (Double female, also known as a bulkhead, or Through wall connector) minus the nut (The one you can minus easily) (See note) To one wire

Mote.. If you leave the movable nut on, You can apply the connector to the "ROOF' cable, with the nut toward the roof, then tighten well and back the nut down to act as a "jam nut".. Or you can remove it for use elsewhere.

Now slip the heat shrink over the longer length, past the connector, make the final connection, tighten it down, Slide the heat shrink over the joint and heat to shrink. Clean up excess mastic and be happy.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

Wish there was a connector buried at the roof line thanks to everyone
Old 11-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
If you do not want to take apart what you have done, there is a heat shrink tape that is available.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, 'Tenna Tape, is a self sealing tape used to wrap coax connectors. Ham Radio shops carry it.. Rescue Tape is also a good product but .... Not sure how well it would work on the roof.