Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope this hasn't been beaten to death some where, but I need to find out what actually works and what is really needed. Tried to buy Wilson antenna (window mount) and adapter and was told I also need booster for a couple of hundred more$$?? Can somebody who has one of these help, or point be at a previous posts on this topic? Thanks in advance, Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope this hasn't been beaten to death some where, but I need to find out what actually works and what is really needed. Tried to buy Wilson antenna (window mount) and adapter and was told I also need booster for a couple of hundred more$$?? Can somebody who has one of these help, or point be at a previous posts on this topic? Thanks in advance, Jim
Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to AlexSian
you don't "need" a booster, but if you had one, there would be fewer places that you won't be able to reliably connect.

as for antenna, the window mount won't perform as well as external omni/trucker.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
We were in the N Georgia mountains this past weekend. No signall on the cell phone. Plugged the antenna up and got three bars. No booster, but just the magnetic antenna base that sits on the roof between the air horns.

In fairness, there was a couple of places you could find in the park where a signal was available.

We discovered this little Wilson antenna in the Black Hills this past spring. There was NO signal and when we bought the antenna we got two bars most of the time, unless there was a rain or hailstorm going on.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
as for antenna, the window mount won't perform as well as external omni/trucker.

Evdo has it right.....

I run the "Wilson trucker antenna" up by the drivers front window and it's connected to a "Wilson electronics" dual amplifier (850-1900) #801245 which in turn cranks up the reception on the outside also.

The small inside antenna is installed (mid coach) and 23 feet away from the main antenna, Readings thru the 595U card (-52) with decent speed.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #6

Jim, and others...

I'm trying to figure out the best way to run the antenna cable to get the 20+ feet from the outside antenna. I thought along the ceiling between the roof and the ceiling, but I can't seem to find a way to access that. Also, I need to avoid the slides.

Should I go down to the basement, run it to the rear, and then back up??

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Les, I had a hole in the roof with a CB cable in it...........

I removed the cable and reused the hole and sealed it up, The wire was hidden along the inside cabinets and the cabinets also housed the Wilson amp (801245).

The inside Wilson antenna is about 2"X5" and is not noticable and that amp kicks up some serious power to both the sprint broadband card and the Sprint cell phone.

Jim
Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #8

Thanks, Jim. I think I can do about the same thing.

How far is you inside antenna from the outside one?? I can get about 17-18 feet fairly easily, but to get the recommended 20 feet, it becomes much harder.

Can I cheat the distance a couple of feet??
Old 11-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Les, My inside/outside is 23 feet.

If you ever decide to purchase a Wilson amp it will indicate if and when the antennas are to close by 2 red lights oscilating or on steady.

Since I use Sprint and the shop workers are on AT&T they like to hang around my rig.....The dual band amp works on their cell phones also

Jim
Old 11-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #10

We also have dual band, with the Wilson amp. We just tried a temporary test, with the antenna using the old original cell phone antenna hole, and the cable run through the window to the Wilson amp, then to the cone shaped repeater antenna 18 feet away.

All seemed to work perfectly and the Wilson amp said we had no oscillations (no red light or flashing greens). I turned on the cell phone and had maximum number of bars. It seems now all I have to do is run the cable and permanently mount everything.

We've already tested the wireless air card LAN, so with a good signal to it, we should now be set. Once I get a clean installation finished everything will be sweet!!!

I really appreciate all the recommendations. You guys have been very helpful.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Question. Am I to understand that the antenna has to be 20+ feet from MY Modem?? Right now the Wilson is about 2-3 feet from it. No amp.Works great!! Didn't see anything about having to have distance from router and air-card.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #12

If you use an external antenna, amp, and internal antenna, there is the possibility of the external antenna picking up the signal from the internal antenna's broadcast and creating oscillations.

If you don't have the amp and internal antenna, you are not re-broadcasting the cell signal, so you would not have a potential for a problem.

For the record, our internal antenna is 17.5 feet from the external antenna and we do not have any problems with oscillation. I think the front AC unit actually provides some shielding between the antennas.

One thing for certain, the amp kicks up a weak external signal to maximum bars inside the coach. We are happy campers!