Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 02:28 PM   #1

Starlink in FLA summer 2022

Ok i know there are several other threads about Starlink but i have a specific question / concern. Normally we would be north bound to Maine , Mich or Dakotas right now for next 6-7 months Unfortunately due to putting 95yr old mother in assisted living we committed to stay close this summer to help her get "acclimated" to assisted living. AS a result this summer and fall will be some short trips arounf FL. Oh well.. So currently swe pay 47.00 a month for Frontier fiber internet in house plust have 3 hotspots for the rv, ATT 23 a month (Mobley) verizon prepaid 65.00 a month and visible 25 a month.

What I am thinking is get Starling residential with the roam option keep my ATT plan and visible . Would drop the Frontier fiber and Verizon hotspot.

So what are people getting for speed and any issues in FL area? I know the map shows better coverage up north right now how is Starlink working in FL mainly south of Tampa but FL in general

Thanks for your help
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 03:14 PM   #2

Have you looked at TMobile at home. I have seen several threads reporting very good service, and it is now portable. Much less $$$ than Starlink.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
Have you looked at TMobile at home. I have seen several threads reporting very good service, and it is now portable. Much less $$$ than Starlink.
I have looked at T Mobile home . I'm just gun shy of their coverage isn't as good as it looks on paper. For this summer and fall since we're staying close to home probably makes sense

I was thinking Starlink would be a future proof option but maybe too early
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:42 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
So what are people getting for speed and any issues in FL area? I know the map shows better coverage up north right now how is Starlink working in FL mainly south of Tampa but FL in general
Thanks for your help
For Starlink -
Was in the FL panhandle to Gainesville for Jan thru the beginning of March of this year. The download speed were 55 to 160 and never had an issue with steaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
Starlink would be a future proof option
Starlink is becoming my primary internet provider as we've been moving around "5 different states in the south east this year so far". I've used my hotspots maybe 10% of the time now "mostly while moving to different campgrounds".
mike625 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:07 AM   #5

I recently read Starlink had enabled it's RV Roaming option. Not sure if that's fact or fiction. My primary reason for not considering Starlink at this time is that my camping which is primarily in Florida rarely gives me much sky exposure. Its enough of a pain to find a hole in the trees for my Dish antenna, so I imagine Starlink would be even more frustrating constantly chasing intermittent constellations.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I recently read Starlink had enabled it's RV Roaming option. Not sure if that's fact or fiction.
Roaming / portability has been available beginning March 2022.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/star...ml#post6107954

Starlink RV - was just released in the last week
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/star...st-581715.html

Quote:
Its enough of a pain to find a hole in the trees for my Dish antenna, so I imagine Starlink would be even more frustrating constantly chasing intermittent constellations.
Most are using it on a tripod or pole to make it easier to find the best locations. It about the same as using a portable Sat using and easier than a Trav’ler depending on the location tree coverage, just the more sky you can see the less drop outs.
mike625 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #7

Just ordered Starlink for RV. No idea if it will be of real benefit for us, but we have some trips coming out so hopefully we'll be able to test drive it sufficiently within the 30 day return window. I was just out in the backyard and was a bit surprised the "scan the sky" feature in the Starlink app kept telling me to look for a better spot. All the spots I checked out had pretty decent unobstructed view of the northern sky. Maybe being in Florida impacts it. Anyway, I can basically get to try it out for free for 30 days except I have to pay return shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Roaming / portability has been available beginning March 2022.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/star...ml#post6107954

Starlink RV - was just released in the last week
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/star...st-581715.html

Most are using it on a tripod or pole to make it easier to find the best locations. It about the same as using a portable Sat using and easier than a Trav’ler depending on the location tree coverage, just the more sky you can see the less drop outs.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Just ordered Starlink for RV. No idea if it will be of real benefit for us, but we have some trips coming out so hopefully we'll be able to test drive it sufficiently within the 30 day return window. I was just out in the backyard and was a bit surprised the "scan the sky" feature in the Starlink app kept telling me to look for a better spot. All the spots I checked out had pretty decent unobstructed view of the northern sky. Maybe being in Florida impacts it. Anyway, I can basically get to try it out for free for 30 days except I have to pay return shipping.
How has it panned out?
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote