Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2022, 02:19 PM   #1

Starlink, international travel & VPN

My Starlink equipment was just delivered to our home in Mexico. We are still on the road in the US and I'm anxious to return home to set it up.

I have read pages and pages of threads on iRV2 but can't find the answers to a couple of questions.

Streaming services like YouTube and Direct TV indicate their service is VNP friendly and will only work in another country with the VNP deployed. Should the VNP app be installed on my smart tv and fire stick or can it be integrated into the Starlink router?

We signed up for the home Starlink. When we go on our next RV trip I will change to RV service. With that I assume the two month rule will not apply and we will be able to wander in the US for several months without being spanked. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this?
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 02:51 PM   #2

If you have residential service, I believe you activate portability, and can travel mostly any ware in North America , but you get better speeds at your residential address then if you change to RV. I believe you are incorrect about the 2 months rule. After 2 months no matter the service you must return to your home country or it will be deactivated until you do. If you are in the US for that long, you can change to a US billing address ( I believe) or you could buy a 2nd unit with a US Address for your us travel with RV service, and deactivate it when back in Mexico. Seems a bit silly to me but spaceX must have there reasons. I have RV service so this is my understanding.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandRich View Post
If you have residential service, I believe you activate portability, and can travel mostly any ware in North America , but you get better speeds at your residential address then if you change to RV. I believe you are incorrect about the 2 months rule. After 2 months no matter the service you must return to your home country or it will be deactivated until you do. If you are in the US for that long, you can change to a US billing address ( I believe) or you could buy a 2nd unit with a US Address for your us travel with RV service, and deactivate it when back in Mexico. Seems a bit silly to me but spaceX must have there reasons. I have RV service so this is my understanding.
I still don't have a clear understanding. From what I see, Starlink uses the term continent not county. Canada, US and Mexico are all on the same continent?
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseasport View Post
I still don't have a clear understanding. From what I see, Starlink uses the term continent not county. Canada, US and Mexico are all on the same continent?
Yes but once out of your home (billing address) country for 2 month, they will turn you off until you return to Said country, then you can start the 2 months out of the country all over again. This in only good in your continent (North America) so South America would not apply. I guess if you live in Australia that is all you get.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
Old 09-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #5

This is the brain trust for RVing with Starlink, they know far more the me, but this is what I have gleaned from them. Have at it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/starlinkrv

Tags
national, travel