RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #113
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
Great people surround themselves with other great people
Absolutely! That's what makes them great!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
If that is all the case, then I would strongly suggest you not pursue the Starlink as it will not be suitable for you. When I get it, I will then be able to speak with experience as to how it works and will let everyone in the more southern location know exactly how it works in the different condition and how difficult it is to use with trees. For those that must be parked under a tree and can't set up a tripod, this may not be for you. Stick with slower connection options.

It will be fine for everyone in Quartzsite....once it gets that far south. Still, it should be WAY more affordable than a mobile two-way positioning satellite antenna, and should be cheaper every month and faster with significantly less latency....to the point of being as fast or faster than a cable connection at your house.

There will be those where money is not a problem and they can afford more expensive options, but Musk specifically is designing this for those outside of good access and positioning it to be affordable or at least competitive. Point being that this is not highspeed for the rich and businesses.

Everyone wants the perfect connection for every single scenario an RV may ever encounter, and Starlink is not that, but I'm certain it will make me very happy, and I don't need trees....in fact, with 2,400W solar on my roof (which also shades and cools the roof a little), I will power all of this and don't want to be under trees. For me personally, I'm going to take off the Winegard and mount this instead on that location....since I never use that sat.
How do you fit 2400w of solar on your roof, how many batteries do you have, and what requires so much solar?
McShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #115

Starlink questions

Does anyone know whether or not Starlink will be able to accommodate RVers while on the move? In other words, will we be able to have access to the internet while cruising down the road? Or will this only work while stationary in a campground?
Stevendj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:51 PM   #116

Only at the subscribers home address until further notice.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:49 AM   #117

If they’re stating you may have signal trouble with physical obstacles in your way I doubt it’s going to work well in motion, at this point!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevendj View Post
Does anyone know whether or not Starlink will be able to accommodate RVers while on the move? In other words, will we be able to have access to the internet while cruising down the road? Or will this only work while stationary in a campground?
Probably not while traveling - at least for a year or two, maybe more. It requires a specialized antenna that points to a cluster, and that cluster moves. I would imagine as the technology improves, you would be able to use it in a mobile unit. Just not for a while yet.
djbckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #119

Quote:

Not yet, though Starlink has demonstrated it being used on an aircraft in flight, and is testing it out on ships at sea. The current public beta test dish (saucer?) mechanically tracks across the sky and probably would not handle the wind loads or tracking issues mounted on an RV going down the road. Vehicle in motion units are probably coming, but it may be a year or two before they get here.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #120

Its all about the upload

Quote:
Does anyone know whether or not Starlink will be able to accommodate RVers while “on the move?” In other words, will we be able to have access to the internet while cruising down the road? Or will this only work while stationary in a campground?
As others say in motion with Starlink is a future feature that will come. For now the stats on the performance capabilities for interactive communications are mind boggling, this is secure internet that is faster than anything conventionally available at home let alone at remote sites.

For an entire segment of our population that is embracing remote employment this is a career altering development. Funny how many of the operating parameters have been set by the “video gaming” crowd that demands the cutting edge speeds both up and down the bandwidth and now it’s facilitating the more complex usage of bandwidth for “practical” purposes such as running fully integrated accounting practices from any remote location in real time!!!

Not to mention the idea of full access to any and all online video and audio content, these are great developments at a time when the dissemination of information via traditional outlets can seem to be a bit biased.
stuccosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #121

I would be quite surprised if Starlink is not planned as the connectivity method for Tesla cars in not too distant future.

Seems like a natural fit instead of the cellular connection they currently use.

So for that reason don't see why RVs, commercial fleets, etc would be excluded.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:05 AM   #122

I don't know about that, cell data makes a lot more sense for most car situations, when you consider the need of line of site of the sky to get connection (think urban parking garages, etc.), and the size of the satellite dish in relation to the roof area of a car..
Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #123

Yah I don’t know. The first year is free on the Tesla and then they charge 10 bucks a month. But that’s unlimited. YouTube, Netflix etc. I don’t know what the satellite thing would cost.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet