Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 06:44 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Starlink, no wait list?

https://www.starlink.com/rv
Airboss68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 07:47 AM   #2

I wonder what makes the RV package different from the Residential package? I've been on the waiting list for what seems like a year for the residential.

The monthly service is also more expensive as well as the hardware.

interesting nonetheless.
Nemisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
No, it is not more expensive, but just adds the roaming fee in the monthly cost. That was announced a while back that they had an extra $25 dollar to be able to roam on top of the updated $110 per month.

The bump in the equipment cost is what new orders is set at.
wrlwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Looks like Verizon's all over coverage map. That one is hope and aspirations too. For the price, I'll stick with what I've got.
Old 05-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #5

Form what I was reading on another page the RV package has a lower priority and lower speed than portability. Apparently RV and portability are not the same thing.

I can not confirm this as I have not had time to research it more. I just found out a bit ago.

I ordered a system a few days ago using an "available" area near me with plans to use it as portable. Like others, I will post my results.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Form what I was reading on another page the RV package has a lower priority and lower speed than portability. Apparently RV and portability are not the same thing.

I can not confirm this as I have not had time to research it more. I just found out a bit ago.

I ordered a system a few days ago using an "available" area near me with plans to use it as portable. Like others, I will post my results.
What I read is that people with local service are prioritized over people that are not at their service address, i.e., traveling in an RV. If there are too many users on the system for a given area the RV customer would receive slower speeds as the local customers are prioritized.

Musk needs a lesson here, it should not be more money for less service.
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgmark View Post
What I read is that people with local service are prioritized over people that are not at their service address, i.e., traveling in an RV. If there are too many users on the system for a given area the RV customer would receive slower speeds as the local customers are prioritized.

Musk needs a lesson here, it should not be more money for less service.
There are really 3 levels, Residential, Portable, and RV. It sounds like Portable and RV are priced the same but priority different. The small thing I read said RV had less priority than Portable. Again I am not sure, I just found out about it.

There could be lots of reasons for increasing cost, one of those is to reduce the number of people that will use it. There is a finite amount of service and that is one way to manage it. If it was cheaper more people would sign up for it which could cause more congestion and reduced service.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #8

With the RV plan, you have the option to pause the service as well. You still have the expense of the hardware. I don't know what the specifics are as far as pausing the service but it may help with cost during times of not using it.
pcarenthuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:08 PM   #9

Love Star Link

took it to cedar island NC, 1/2 dozen Rigs with us on this May Trip.

I slapped dish on picnic table, plugged in to power on side of rig!

Connected my Wingard to my Star Link, have 10 items in rig that hook to my winegard.

Then I setup up 2nd SSID on my Winegard. Gave that out to my 6 other RV'ers with us.

3 Winegards connected to mine, 3 other rigs hooked to rigs hook to me!

Easily 40 devices connected to the MacDaddy Starlink Network!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220413-223324_Starlink (1).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	366457   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220518_150213 (1).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	366458  

MacDaddy1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
There are really 3 levels, Residential, Portable, and RV. It sounds like Portable and RV are priced the same but priority different. The small thing I read said RV had less priority than Portable. Again I am not sure, I just found out about it.

There could be lots of reasons for increasing cost, one of those is to reduce the number of people that will use it. There is a finite amount of service and that is one way to manage it. If it was cheaper more people would sign up for it which could cause more congestion and reduced service.
According to the Starlink website both are best effort speed. The wording on de-prioritization impacts are exactly the same for both. The only differences are high priority when back at your service address with portability and the ability to pause on a monthly basis with RV. You might be able to change services addresses as you travel to maintain high priority with residential + portability.
Aquaadverse is offline   Reply With Quote