Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #239

Thanks for the details, and correction on the cable being attached at the dish end, though this still allows for people to use male to female extension cables, which people have reported success with for limited extension distances. Another thing to keep in mind is that as the constellation fills in the need for wide open views will drop as eventually there will be something on the order of 10 satellites being visible at any given time, so the chances of clear line of site as they cross across the sky goes up. Perhaps still not great for heavily wooded areas, but manageable for many locations. As of today Starlink has 1263 satellites in orbit, a couple of hundred of which are undergoing commissioning and probably not yet live and transmitting, with another 120 - 180 scheduled by the end of the month. They are currently licensed to launch just about 10,000 total, and are required by contract to have half of them launched by late 2024, and all to by launched by 2027. They also are requesting permission from the FCC to increase that number.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2021, 03:23 AM   #240

Just paid my $99 to be on the waiting list for Texas Gulf Coast near Galveston. Starlink said service would be available mid to late year 2021.
tripntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #241

Just received my Starlink beta test kit!
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #242

Great report..... is your dish pointing toward the northern sky?
Old 03-19-2021, 11:27 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
Great report..... is your dish pointing toward the northern sky?
Yep. If it had to point at the southern sky, then we'd be SOL as our house would block reception. Luck of the draw.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:13 AM   #244

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine arrived a month ago and still sitting in a box waiting for us to return to our home place in KY. One thing I was wondering if it's possible to pause the subscription during months we are on the road. Our plans from a year ago when we signed up have significantly changed so I will only use the Starlink Dish 4-5 months a year, at most.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #245

Howdy all. Having a new fiver built soon and I don't want a bunch of wires running across and Down it like my current rig, so there going to run my cabling through the roof trusses and come out at a localized spot for my Convience up there.
My wife is considering having us switch to the starlnk service someday when it gets more wide spread. Since I'm have them run my tv satellite cables for my portables the same way, I thought that whatever this 100' of wire hooked up to star link satellite is, if its the same coax as all other Cable than I would have another pre wire routed through the trusses and up to roof for easy and clean installation If we ever get star link.
Is the star link satellites cable the standard rg6 like my satellite tv wire ?
Fyi, I'm sure somebody has already said what wire it is but I'm just being lazy and don't want to read a few hundred posts to find it
Ty
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:45 PM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Is the star link satellites cable the standard rg6 like my satellite tv wire ?
Nope. Starlink currently uses 100 feet of POE cable.

However, the future mobile Starlink may be totally different.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:15 AM   #247

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
If building new , The best way would be to run a Chase / conduit with pull wires installed That would certainly future proof for whatever cable it ends up being. In fact I would do the same if possible for solar access to the roof from the batteries /control bay.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:27 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
If building new , The best way would be to run a Chase / conduit with pull wires installed That would certainly future proof for whatever cable it ends up being. In fact I would do the same if possible for solar access to the roof from the batteries /control bay.
I'd second that. When I put a huge amount of solar on my roof last summer, I mounted a good quality waterproof box on the roof, drilled the hole through the bottom of the box and through the roof, added some PVC to make a conduit chase, and glue the box onto the roof with the Sikaflex. Now, I not only was able to run and modify these cables in the future, but I have room for more things, like running the Starlink cable up.

I have the antenna, will activate when I get home and practice installing this pizza box for when mobile becomes an option. Still don't think I want their mobile antenna, as that would very likely be permanently mounted on the roof. I want something that is attached to the back roof, but I can easily climb my back ladder, grab it, and stick out beyond trees I may park under.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #249

I'm actuelly deleting all the solar and gen set pre wire Lomb because we don't boon dock and only stay in resorts and after 5 years of full timing we've never had any need for it. Plus it saves on material and labor. Yea we have lost our power some but nothing that we can't muscle through occasionally to save $10,000
I'm just wanting to know , is the 100' wire that comes attached to the unit currently for the stix and brix home , the widely used rg6 coax?
Just saw post 246, poe wire
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #250

The wire is hardwired to the dish so they can't run it. Don't think your gonna want to have it on a roof permanently due to tree obstruction. This is not like dtv or dish where you need a fixed point. These sats are moving all the time (orbit about every 92 mins live read). You're gonna want a fairly open area sky wise and a ground deploy from the basement is probably going to be best. You could put it on the roof if you're in the open.

Locations that are solar friendly would be best but it's a power hog. Unless you have a lot of solar, your battery won't be able to handle it for long.
Cory2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:28 AM   #251

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you are able to pre-wire -

Another thing to think about is home running ethernet to different TV's and a location where you want the main hardware installed unless you want to run everything wireless. A couple of ethernet cables at this point could make a world of difference later on.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
The wire is hardwired to the dish so they can't run it. Don't think your gonna want to have it on a roof permanently due to tree obstruction. This is not like dtv or dish where you need a fixed point. These sats are moving all the time (orbit about every 92 mins live read). You're gonna want a fairly open area sky wise and a ground deploy from the basement is probably going to be best. You could put it on the roof if you're in the open.

Locations that are solar friendly would be best but it's a power hog. Unless you have a lot of solar, your battery won't be able to handle it for long.
I would say that 75% of the time we always reserve a spot in advance were there is no trees. 12v power won't be sn issue since were always hooked up to shore unless were traveling then the alternator takes over. I've literally been running on a single Wal-Mart battery for over 5yrs now. No thousands in battle bourne for me. Haha

Tags
install