Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #309
Senior Member
 
dmp1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
...as the FCC license for the current antenna design limits Starlink to deploying a maximum of 1 million of them to beta testers...
Just in case anyone takes the above as a reason not to apply for public beta participation, I read in the last few days that Elon mentioned recently Starlink is still under 70k subscribers. There are alot more antenna's they can sell.
__________________
Newmar 2021 DSDP 4362
dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #310
Senior Member
 
gsgriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 938
To start with, I have just put the antenna where the ladder mounts to the roof. I have a hole and waterproof box just a foot away from where all my solar cables go through the roof. Might have enough space to squeeze this cable in as well. Power source and inverter is direct down from here.

This is one of the few places on my roof where there is no solar panel and it won't obstruct the sun to a panel. I placed a piece of plywood on the roof so the small feet of the antenna are not denting the roof when pressure is added.

For the time being, I just wedged a semi-firm foam under the ladder and on top of the legs. It has held up in some pretty big storms and high winds already. I may wait to see if a true mobile antenna comes this fall, but I could also create a detachable support for it off of the ladder. Still thinking about getting a pipe that has the correct ID to directly fit the standpipe from the antenna. Then it is just a matter of connecting that pipe to the ladder with a standoff of about 20".

The antenna doesn't seem to ever move. Of course, I am far north in northern Montana where there is a HUGE congregation of satellites at all times. With my solar and batteries, I'm running the Starlink, my computer, ceiling vent fans, about 4-5 coffees in the Kurig, and some lights and have power left over each day. I have plugged in the Starlink to a wattage monitoring device to see what it consumes over the day and night. Will have more data later on how it behaves in consumption based on usage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_085607.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	334576  
__________________
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #311
HTTR
 
swaff54's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Travelling the US
Posts: 65
Police ticket driver for sticking Starlink terminal on carís hood

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/2/22...arlink-antenna
__________________
Bob & Jan along with feline companions Marty & Sophie
2019 Newmar Ventana 4037 - Spartan "Bullwinkle"
2020 Jeep Wrangler Altitude "Rocky"
Fulltiming since 10-15-2019
swaff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #312
Senior Member
 
Isaac-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Louisiana
Posts: 8,465
On the topic of wattage, there has been some talk over on Reddit on this subject, it seems there are 2 versions of the Starlink dish in the wild so far, one with a black base and newer one with a gray base. The older black base model consumes around 100 watts on average, and the newer gray base model consumes around 65 watts on average. In addition to this there have been FCC filing for a newer slightly smaller and lower power dish which may be showing up in the wild within about another month.
__________________
2002 Safari Trek 2830 on P32 Chassis with 8.1L w/ 400 watts solar 420Ah LiFePo4
2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland & 2007 Toyota Yaris TOADs with Even Brake,
Demco Commander tow bar and Blue Ox / Roadmaster base plates
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:44 AM   #313
Senior Member
 
gsgriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
seems there are 2 versions of the Starlink dish in the wild so far, one with a black base and newer one with a gray base. The older black base model consumes around 100 watts on average, and the newer gray base model consumes around 65 watts on average. In addition to this there have been FCC filing for a newer slightly smaller and lower power dish which may be showing up in the wild within about another month.
Mine is original as I got it the first week that the beta program started. What I do in using this is not permanent. I would like to be able to use this, but I do not see it as the end game. I'm showing about 90watts usage, but of course that will dramatically change for all antennas when it is cold and the heater kicks on to melt ice!


My good friend bought a Tesla Model S back when they were new, and he knew that better models would come along someday, but he saw the value and had no problem investing in something that would help the company succeed and grow. I see this original dish the same way.

When they come out with newer versions over the next year or more (because they will continue to adapt and modify for years perhaps), this original antenna will go permanently on the roof of our house and the newer one will come with us. For the time being, I have the solar and batteries that make this work fine and can envision a way to temporarily mount and use this over the next year or two.

For now, I should note, the speed increase was instantly felt up here. We live in an area of Montana where it seems like the whole US wants to move to right now. There is nothing available for rent. House all sell the same day they are listed for well over the asking price. Builders are unable to build fast enough and starting to use metal studs for homes (first time I've ever seen that up here)....resulting in our cable Internet from Spectrum getting slower and slower and slower. I was lucky if I could sustain 30-40mbps on Spectrum. Now seeing 100-150mbps with a solid rate. Worth the extra $25/month this costs over Spectrum.
__________________
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:35 AM   #314
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Metamora, MI
Posts: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post

The antenna doesn't seem to ever move. Of course, I am far north in northern Montana where there is a HUGE congregation of satellites at all times. With my solar and batteries, I'm running the Starlink, my computer, ceiling vent fans, about 4-5 coffees in the Kurig, and some lights and have power left over each day. I have plugged in the Starlink to a wattage monitoring device to see what it consumes over the day and night. Will have more data later on how it behaves in consumption based on usage.
The mechanical movement of the dish is only to get to your location based course adjustments. Once that is done (needs to do that once each time the dish is removed / reset), then the steering to find satellites is all done electronically via the many antenna sensor elements on the dish itself.

The older design sat dishes, the dish is "dumb" and the servo motors move the dish to track a satellite. The new dish is "smart" and use active electronic elements to do the sat tracking (within the limits of what they are capable of).
__________________
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Limited 4370 w/ Spartan K2 and Cummins 500hp
ASE Master Certified (a long.....time ago...)
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:41 AM   #315
Senior Member
 
gsgriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The older design sat dishes, the dish is "dumb" and the servo motors move the dish to track a satellite. The new dish is "smart" and use active electronic elements to do the sat tracking (within the limits of what they are capable of).
Yes, a phased array antenna points the direction of the signal using multiple signals in a pattern to add together in what appears to be a "bend" in the signal from the waves combining. The Starlink antenna does as you say, but to be clear, the "older design" you are referring to is not the older StarLink antenna design I have. Basic antennas or sat dishes (ala Dish) are pointed mechanically but at geosynchronous satellites so they are not moving at all. This is all Starlink 101.

When I have run out of power (cloudy days) and then do power it back on, the antenna does seem to sometimes go through a reset and move again. If the motorhome is adjusted in position (jacks), of course, it also moves to get the best angle again.
__________________
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #316
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 96
Gsgriffin, how does the volcano mount conform to the roof contour? It would great to see a pic from the top.
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #317
Solar Maniac
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
To start with, I have just put the antenna where the ladder mounts to the roof. I have a hole and waterproof box just a foot away from where all my solar cables go through the roof. Might have enough space to squeeze this cable in as well. Power source and inverter is direct down from here.

This is one of the few places on my roof where there is no solar panel and it won't obstruct the sun to a panel. I placed a piece of plywood on the roof so the small feet of the antenna are not denting the roof when pressure is added.

For the time being, I just wedged a semi-firm foam under the ladder and on top of the legs. It has held up in some pretty big storms and high winds already. I may wait to see if a true mobile antenna comes this fall, but I could also create a detachable support for it off of the ladder. Still thinking about getting a pipe that has the correct ID to directly fit the standpipe from the antenna. Then it is just a matter of connecting that pipe to the ladder with a standoff of about 20".

The antenna doesn't seem to ever move. Of course, I am far north in northern Montana where there is a HUGE congregation of satellites at all times. With my solar and batteries, I'm running the Starlink, my computer, ceiling vent fans, about 4-5 coffees in the Kurig, and some lights and have power left over each day. I have plugged in the Starlink to a wattage monitoring device to see what it consumes over the day and night. Will have more data later on how it behaves in consumption based on usage.
Are you using the Volcano mount on the roof? Seems like that would be an easy way to keep the mount attached to the roof and simply put Dishy up and down as needed.

In our case I used the Volcano mount for our rooftop application at home (Waiting for the portable unit for our RV) as we live remote when not traveling. I used the volcano mount with a tile roof mount made for Direct TV and simply mounted the volcano mount to that device. It's been working great for a few months now and even went through a couple of 125* record-setting days here in Lake Havasu City, AZ!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starlink1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	334868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlink.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	528.7 KB
ID:	334869  

__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (74291)-3900W Solar, 13,440Wh (525Ah @24V) LiFePO4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Hemi)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:44 AM   #318
Senior Member
 
gsgriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Are you using the Volcano mount on the roof? Seems like that would be an easy way to keep the mount attached to the roof and simply put Dishy up and down as needed.

In our case I used the Volcano mount for our rooftop application at home (Waiting for the portable unit for our RV) as we live remote when not traveling. I used the volcano mount with a tile roof mount made for Direct TV and simply mounted the volcano mount to that device. It's been working great for a few months now and even went through a couple of 125* record-setting days here in Lake Havasu City, AZ!!!
This is the purpose of this thread....to explore and post the way to install and use the Starlink. If you want to try that, please do and share your results.

In my case, I am personally wanting to avoid any screw down mounts anywhere on my roof. I did create a single penetration for my solar wiring, but all of the solar panels use glue-down mounts...no screws in the roof. The penetration for wiring is through a waterproof box that is sealed onto the roof.

I suppose you could mount it that way, but in my opinion, just getting a pipe that is the right diameter and temporarily mounting it at the back seemed easier and less permanent. The antenna work fine with the tripod stand in my temporary configuration where I am just testing the position and use. Found a pipe source online that appears to be correct and will get that next.
__________________
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #319
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 59
Got a class A with no ladder (probably due to height limits and ladder safety requirements). Anyways my thought was to use a telescoping pole with a hitch mount. Then I could raise it up and down depending on weather or ground deploy the dish if there obstructions at the rv. Anyone know of a good hitch mount / pole?

Bonus would be a powered telescoping pole that I could eventually trigger remotely to go down over IP based relay if we were away from rig and a storm was inbound.
Cory2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:13 AM   #320
Senior Member
 
gsgriffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Got a class A with no ladder (probably due to height limits and ladder safety requirements). Anyways my thought was to use a telescoping pole with a hitch mount. Then I could raise it up and down depending on weather or ground deploy the dish if there obstructions at the rv. Anyone know of a good hitch mount / pole?

Bonus would be a powered telescoping pole that I could eventually trigger remotely to go down over IP based relay if we were away from rig and a storm was inbound.
Out of curiosity, I would be interesting to simulate that by doing something on the ground to see what small amounts of wiggling would do. Have no idea. Just would love to know how well the phased array will adapt and adjust to wind blowing a telescoping pole. May work great. Might also be good to know this before you go to all the expense.

If you are an experimenter, you may provide us all valuable experience to perhaps do something like mounting it on a PVC pipe in your yard and allow enough of sway or wiggle that it could simulate the effect of a 10' pole....even if only a small amount of sway....strong winds are common in places I go.

I've seen what you are talking about on a Nomad command center that is being purchased over and over by FEMA. My good friend drives these down from here in Montana to Colorado for initial delivery when new. I bet for $50k or so, you could get a mast like this and never loose signal ever again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	45
Size:	1,019.4 KB
ID:	335056  
__________________
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:17 AM   #321
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 32
I just used the tripod that came with the kit and just leave it sitting in my super c, it doesn't move and I just take it down if I need to go somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210620_090013.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	335059  
sciblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:42 AM   #322
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 229
How many of you have been able to travel and change locations with Starlink? What areas have you changed locations to? We full-time and want to be sure that Starlink will be able to transfer me to most locations before I pull the trigger.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
install



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starlink internet MSHappyCampers Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 122 11-17-2020 09:54 PM
Starlink Unboxing Video TechWriter Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 6 08-03-2020 11:34 AM
Starlink News TechWriter Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 65 06-26-2020 10:03 AM
Starlink Update TechWriter Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 10 01-23-2020 01:03 PM
Starlink Don/Lou Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 3 12-03-2019 01:33 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.