Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2022, 07:09 AM   #757

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Portability service

My complaint would be - I'm ok with the "best effort basis" when there was not an extra cost. Now that I have to pay extra - kind of want there to be some level of performance stated.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2022, 07:10 AM   #758

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KregChar View Post
We are full-timers now and it's almost safe to say that we will not be in our service area any time soon, if ever. We just got Starlink recently and it works great.
Last night, (05/05/2022) we got the email telling us that Portability is now available. In a second email, we were notified that action is required because we are using the service outside our service area. We have until June 3. to either change the service address or activate Portability for an extra $25 per month. Needless to say, we will be paying. Portability can be turned on and off at any time.
Got the same email! This kinda sux to pay $25 for portability. I see you can turn it on and off but it doesn't cost the company any more for me to use at a different location.

Its a good bit more than nickel and diming....
Old 05-05-2022, 07:15 AM   #759

We only pay $80 a month for 2 different internet providers , but make no mistake, I'm not comparing anything on the mkt today to sl, because there is no comparison. I get paying that much if you do buisness on it, but I personally can't justify the cost just for unlimited internet and streaming capabilities. Again there is no comparison to sl, I'm not comparing anything to it
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:29 AM   #760

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sure is sad to see them raising the price on the portability. That is quite a hike for just driving down the street a few miles for a vaca for a couple of weeks/months at a time.... But guess that is why musk is rich and we are poor. I was planning on taking it on the road with us but now will not bother to go to the extra expense for the mounts and stuff to do that as my life does not revolve around the net. Cell signal will be just fine. Guess there must be a lot of folks that must be thinking the same thing. For me that puts the price up there with Hughs Net.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:32 AM   #761

It all depends on your individual situation. Some of us can get by just using our cell phone as a hot spot on occasion, maybe using a campground's WiFi. Others have more needs for different reasons.
I too wish that with the $25 fee there was some type of connection guarantee. In the end, with a different setup, multiple cell phone providers, and equipment, financially we would be in the same ballpark. Nomadic Internet starts at $149 if I am not mistaken. For us, it makes sense to pay for Starlink. For others, it might not. 2 1/2 years ago it would have made no sense for us. Now it does. But I do have to admit, that Comcast comes to my mind when I look at Starlink's business practice. :-)
KregChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #762

While no one wants to pay more, this likely resolves the issues of those using the formerly unsupported roaming to order when they are based in a closed cell. Officially, those roaming unsupported have until June 3 to change their service address or to pay for roaming.

For FT, the cost is more critical I suppose. For PT or Vaca, likely can do like me and adjust home internet costs to at least cover some of the SL cost. For me, I was able to get my home provider to retain me with the savings covering the monthly SL cost.

Also means I can remove the cell booster from the RV, which has not been used in at least a year.
Do26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #763

Could someone tell me an estimate of the shipping time if I ordered a unit today? It would be going to Pennsylvania, I found an open cell that is about two blocks from my in-laws.
Thank you everyone for all this information. We are FullTimers and I think starling should work for us.
Don
dnhxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhxx View Post
Could someone tell me an estimate of the shipping time if I ordered a unit today? It would be going to Pennsylvania, I found an open cell that is about two blocks from my in-laws.
Thank you everyone for all this information. We are FullTimers and I think starling should work for us.
Don
It all depends...I know friends here in New Mexico that ordered as soon as they heard from me that New Mexico was opened up (about 2 weeks ago). They got their dishy in 5 days. This doesn't mean it will go that fast for you, but it could.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #765

Quote:
Don
I have been given a 3-4 week window for delivery after order in Northern Arizona, also an "available area". Hopefully will be sooner, cant wait to get it up and running.

Scott
Old 05-06-2022, 05:56 PM   #766

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Finally got back to Manitoba, Canada to my Starlink dish that has been patiently waiting my arrival.
It is sitting on top of a C Container screwed down to a 4 by 4 and a 12 by 12 block of wood. Visibility was good in the app check so installed it there. About 10 minutes after powering up it was working. Around 120 to 200 MB on initial test.
Haven't tried the streaming but will later this evening. So far initial impression is great.
Already paid for a half month of service while we procrastinated leaving Arizona.
My satellite subscription, which will be cut way back, will pay about half the monthly fee.

More comments later.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:25 PM   #767

Follow up question. My wife will be flying to Pennsylvania in a few weeks. How big and heavy is the shipping box? Will the kit fit in a suitcase to bring back?
Thanks again
Don
dnhxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 09:19 PM   #768

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Follow up question. My wife will be flying to Pennsylvania in a few weeks. How big and heavy is the shipping box? Will the kit fit in a suitcase to bring back?
Thanks again
Don
Yes it would. Just need a large suitcase like you would use to pack two weeks of clothes in.
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:15 AM   #769

My Starlink box is: 24 x 15 x 11
Old 05-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #770

Why not just load it as checked baggage?
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install