Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 03:17 AM   #799

Following
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 06:55 AM   #800

Tiffin Owners Club
To add a few locations for roaming, if anyone is interested. So far we have had perfect success in Polk City FL, NE Alabama 30 minutes south of Chattanooga TN, Bardstown KY, Mt Orab OH, and pretty good service in Frankfort KY. In Frankfort, I do have issues with trees and certain that is the reason for occasional sub par results.

In the next two weeks will test near Asheville NC, and Hilton Head. I for one couldn't be happier with the ease of use, multiple setup options I have, and overall speeds. My biggest question is how to route plugs so I can have the wire from the dish come into the back or front of the coach and ultimately hook up to the SL router and Peplink router above the front co pilot seat. All in good time I suppose.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #801

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1975 View Post
Portability should not be required until June 3rd according to the email I received? I am roaming currently near Pueblo.
It just had a message I was out of my base area so I subscribed. I did not wait to see if it would connect. Impatient on my part and I was aware we where supposed to have to the beginning of June. As We will be travelling within the next two weeks to another province I subscribed to portability now.

If you are getting service hold off. My billing cycle would have got me either way so I just went ahead and subscribed.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:10 PM   #802

We ordered and received our Starlink some time ago. Finally getting it installed to the coach and gave a starting run about 2 hours from home.

We did have to activate roaming as the dish would not connect.

Wifi signal strong enough to reach TV in bedroom of coach...will be adding the ethernet dongle and a Ubiquiti POE switch and will be hardwiring as many network appliances as I am able to lessen traffic on the wifi portion of the router.

Had a great experience with little buffering of any channel we watch. We use an IPTV service that we also get local channels on in addition to NF, Prime, YT etc...

ChClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220516_211142_755.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	366317Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220516_211142_712.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	366316Click image for larger version

Name:	20220517_120810.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	366315
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:57 AM   #803

We are currently in rv manufacturer country (Elkhart) and i can not believe how many folks in here are using star link and they have these perfect poles that they attach to, looks very professional. The thing that i find amazing is there are trees all over this place blocking a huge portion of the sky. From listening to you all, you need the majority of the sky open, that's not the case here
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
We are currently in rv manufacturer country (Elkhart) and i can not believe how many folks in here are using star link and they have these perfect poles that they attach to, looks very professional. The thing that i find amazing is there are trees all over this place blocking a huge portion of the sky. From listening to you all, you need the majority of the sky open, that's not the case here
They are on poles (many times) to get high enough to get a glimpse of the sky above the trees and above the RV itself). It's not that you can't have any trees around the RV, but the antenna definitely needs a good wide-open view as the satellites go by. Of course, the farther north you head, the greater the density of satellites meaning the narrowing opening in the sky is possible. At my home in Montana, there are always about 5-6 sats at a time overhead. Down here in the winter in New Mexico, it is only 1 passing...maybe two.

I personally don't care about looking professional and having it on an expense pole. The Jones's don't park next to me I prefer flexibility, mounting options, can put it anywhere on the ground near me or anywhere around the roof that is best for signal. Today, Starlink is a novelty and people, "ask what is that?" You are the Jones. In another year, everyone will know, so many will have it, and nobody will care that you have it. Just works for you and meets your needs. That is what matters.

FYI...My roof is nearly completely shaded by cell panels. I like the sun. Allows me to camp in remote locations and have full power...so Starlink works in most any location for me since deep in the woods is not my go-to site.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:18 AM   #805

Brother man, if I was the joneses than I would already have a star link but I don't, just waiting until its much more wide spread and a for sure thing no matter were you go since we move around so much. Plus there really doesn't seem to of been any great financial benefit to of bought it early since even you early buyers are going to have to start paying higher premiums for being mobile. They should of grandfathered you early testers in as an appreciation for what you did, i think that was pretty sorry on Elons part, like he needs the extra $30 a month from all you inception buyers. The wife and I still want star link but will probably wait another year. I just like keeping up with what y'all are going through and how things are progressing
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #806

Starlink for RV's Just Released Announcement

https://www.businessinsider.com/spac...service-2022-5
Old 05-23-2022, 05:22 PM   #807

I received this email today.

If you are receiving this email, you are currently on the waitlist for Starlink in your area. We are launching additional satellites as quickly as we can to expand network capacity in your region, and will fulfill your order as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we are now offering Starlink for RVs at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. Currently there is no waitlist - all orders will be shipped shortly after the order is placed, including to "Waitlist" areas on the Starlink Availability Map. You can pause and un-pause service at any time.

Users can expect high speed, low latency internet in areas marked "Available", and notably slower speeds during events with many collocated users, or during hours of peak usage in areas marked as "Waitlist”, where residential users are prioritized. Prioritizing residential makes it possible to offer Starlink for RVs immediately with minimal impact to the most loaded portions of the network.

You can order Starlink for RVs directly from www.starlink.com/rv or by selecting the "+" button under "Your Starlinks" on your account page. To learn more about Starlink for RVs, please read our FAQ page.

Thank you for being a supporter of Starlink!

The Starlink team
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:34 PM   #808

Downside is it's $125 a month and they prioritize residential. The upside is that you can pause and start whenever you want, and they charge for a one month period. I'm going to get it as a backup to my Verizon/ATT sims in my Peplink. I've been to some state parks with non existent cell.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #809

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Downside is it's $125 a month and they prioritize residential. The upside is that you can pause and start whenever you want, and they charge for a one month period. I'm going to get it as a backup to my Verizon/ATT sims in my Peplink. I've been to some state parks with non existent cell.
We have been to alot of places with poor cell service. When we were looking at the cell based stuff it seemed pretty involved for what we wanted/needed to do.

Along the way I stumbled upon some Starlink blogs of folks who travel. The hardware cost of SL is about half the Pepwave/Peplink setup we were looking at and the monthly cost is somewhat similar when you factor for we need 2 unlimited cell service plans for business and how we consume media.

The final nails in the cell service coffin for us (ie in favor of Starlink) were that we had just upgraded to brand new 5G phones which we can link to our Coach network if needed and more importantly the ability to take the Starlink abroad in the future as we are planning on building an Expedition RV in several years and also own a rural property where I don't believe the is "high speed internet" per se.

Although I have mounted the folding pole upon our roof and routed the 75ft cable inside the coach; in the future I will buy the 150ft cable and route that from the SL router to front bay, giving us more flexibility in leafy areas..

So for us at least the Starlink turned out to be a really good solution for us.

YMMV

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:39 PM   #810

I have been following this thread for a while now. I have been successfully using cell data for the past 2 years and it has served well. We have had to pass up some areas we really wanted to stay though.

I had been having a hard time justifying the cost for a few spots we would like to go and for just a few months out of the year. It cost 4x what my unlimited hub costs/mo. I had the ability to telework but my wife did not.

My wife accepted a remote position with her work last week and I ordered a Starlink with plans to use the portability feature. Mine should be here in 2 days and I am excited. I will get a chance to try it this weekend at one of our locations that has poor cell service.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 05:48 PM   #811

Tiffin Owners Club
I just saw this article today. In the illustration it show that you do not have the Starlink dish mounted to the roof. It’s portable.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...arlink-for-rvs
amarkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:07 PM   #812

Can someone speak about the differance between
Residential with portability ( which is probably what most of you have)
Vs
Starlink for rvs
Is it just a service differance or is the satellite equipment different as well

Tags
install