Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 06:14 PM   #813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Can someone speak about the differance between
Residential with portability ( which is probably what most of you have)
Vs
Starlink for rvs
Is it just a service differance or is the satellite equipment different as well

Equipment is the same. The RV service requires you to move every 60 days(I think but it's some number), You can pause it when ever you want although when you turn it on you are paying for a month at a time. RV service is last priority and your speeds will suffer when in large groups of folks with Starlink.

Portablility you cannot pause, lower priority than residential but higher than RV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 06:56 PM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Can someone speak about the differance between
Residential with portability ( which is probably what most of you have)
Vs
Starlink for rvs
Is it just a service differance or is the satellite equipment different as well
Not sure on the equipment, but on the service:

Residential with portability you pay $135 a month, it's considered residential service, but if you go to another location outside your home area, you can be deprioritized (speed).

RV service is $135 for a one month period, but you can start and stop as often as you want via the app. If you don't travel for a couple months, or are doing fine with cell service, you have the service suspended, but if you need it, you turn it on and they will charge you $135 and the service will be on for a month, or until you suspend it (always in month long increments).
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:01 PM   #815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newps View Post
Equipment is the same. The RV service requires you to move every 60 days(I think but it's some number), You can pause it when ever you want although when you turn it on you are paying for a month at a time. RV service is last priority and your speeds will suffer when in large groups of folks with Starlink.

Portablility you cannot pause, lower priority than residential but higher than RV.
I haven't read anything about the moving every 60 days, or any time.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:33 PM   #816

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Could you link where on the Starlink documentation it lists you need to move? I just want to read up on the actual requirements for that, as I cannot find that mentioned anywhere in the documentation from the service option.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:34 PM   #817

Quote:

So I can't personally find anything on the 60 day rule. We typically do monthly stays because of the reduced rate but if we find a place we really like then we'll cancel our other plans and stay there for 2-7 months. So that would put someone like me in a weird situation on which Sydten to go with. Then to boot we don't have a sticks and Bricks residency and are true ful timers with only a mailing address residency which we only visit once every 5 years for license renewal.
This is what I found online about the differance , see pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220524-222545.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	366484  
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #818

Vintage RV Owners Club
Here's a side thought, doesn't the "store" mode on the Starlink dishes tip the unit's head straight up and down?

That seems like it would apply an awful lot of air pressure against the unit on a permanently affixed Roof top unit when in transit, as it would be offering maximum surface for wind resistance.
Old 05-24-2022, 09:09 PM   #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Here's a side thought, doesn't the "store" mode on the Starlink dishes tip the unit's head straight up and down?

That seems like it would apply an awful lot of air pressure against the unit on a permanently affixed Roof top unit when in transit, as it would be offering maximum surface for wind resistance.
I think most will be removing it for transport. Why leave it up if it can not work while traveling?
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:24 AM   #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarkiii View Post
I just saw this article today. In the illustration it show that you do not have the Starlink dish mounted to the roof. It’s portable.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...arlink-for-rvs
Yes the stand comes in the box. The dish clicks into it. Roof is optimal placement due to less obsteuctions. Personally I would only put on ground if I didn't have clear skies from roof.

Ch.
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:31 AM   #821

Quote:

The dish simply clicks into the included stand, or optional pole mount or roof mount. One button push to remove. The roof mount pivots down to horizontal as well.

While In Motion currently works for some users, I remove my dish from the roof to protect it, pivot the mount horizontal and zip tie the cord to the roof mount pole for protection of the connector on driving days.

The roof mount comes with a handy dish bag that has a shoulder strap and it's pretty light and very easy to get down a ladder from the roof of our coach.

In the future I'll invest in the optional 150ft cord and run that from the modem compartment out to a front bay so that I can utilize the included stand in leafy areas...

ChClick image for larger version

Name:	20220524_162816.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	366510
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:09 AM   #822

Vintage RV Owners Club
To answer the question for everyone. My unit does not have a roof that is accessible while on the road, its a non walk on type so no integrated ladder (plus I weight alot, so I'd rip one of those ladders right off), so the dish would need to be permanently mounted up there like all of my other antennas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I think most will be removing it for transport. Why leave it up if it can not work while traveling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
The dish simply clicks into the included stand, or optional pole mount or roof mount. One button push to remove. The roof mount pivots down to horizontal as well.

While In Motion currently works for some users, I remove my dish from the roof to protect it, pivot the mount horizontal and zip tie the cord to the roof mount pole for protection of the connector on driving days.

The roof mount comes with a handy dish bag that has a shoulder strap and it's pretty light and very easy to get down a ladder from the roof of our coach.

In the future I'll invest in the optional 150ft cord and run that from the modem compartment out to a front bay so that I can utilize the included stand in leafy areas...

ChAttachment 366510
Old 05-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #823

Quote:
To answer the question for everyone. My unit does not have a roof that is accessible while on the road, its a non walk on type so no integrated ladder (plus I weight alot, so I'd rip one of those ladders right off), so the dish would need to be permanently mounted up there like all of my other antennas
Then at this time it is likely not a good option for you. I am sure at some point they will come out with a mobile dish. I know I would not risk my dish to that until someone else has done it. Even turned off I would be worried about it damaging the motors or gears at the least.

Another version might be to do a pole mount that attaches to the side of your unit. The mast could either be telescoping, break down or fixed. It would likely take about 5 minutes to set up/take down.

This is likely how I will manage mine. I am looking at 25' telescoping masts which with would allow me to get above many obstructions.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #824

Quote:
Then at this time it is likely not a good option for you. I am sure at some point they will come out with a mobile dish. I know I would not risk my dish to that until someone else has done it. Even turned off I would be worried about it damaging the motors or gears at the least.

Another version might be to do a pole mount that attaches to the side of your unit. The mast could either be telescoping, break down or fixed. It would likely take about 5 minutes to set up/take down.

This is likely how I will manage mine. I am looking at 25' telescoping masts which with would allow me to get above many obstructions.

If you do chose to roof mount it please let us know how it goes. If it works, that would be great. The downside is you would have to make sure to park in a location free from obstructions.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:53 AM   #825

Here In Elkhart at the big alliance rally there was a huge amount of folks that utilized star link and a big portion had them on a high up pole that looked like it was made for the dishy because I never saw any rigging
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #826

I just toss it on the picnic table or out in grass, plug in, couple minutes it is rocking.

No loss even next to another rig!

when you storing up the dish, you just push stow on app, and it is ready to get put in bed for travel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post

If you do chose to roof mount it please let us know how it goes. If it works, that would be great. The downside is you would have to make sure to park in a location free from obstructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220518_150152_resized.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	366542  
MacDaddy1111 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
install