Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #1051

I have the same setup you have, brandss - residential with portability, plus mesh. Right now, I'm on the residential service, because this is our 3 month stretch in the house. At this moment, I'm getting an average of 139 down. We're 45 minutes east of Phoenix.

Before we got to Arizona, we were in Santa Fe for a couple months, and at that time, I was on RV service. I got an average of 125 to 25, depending on the time of day. (Thereafter, we switched to Residential plus Portability).

I also have a couple hotspots for back up, overnight stops, and for use while driving, but even at its worst, so far, Starlink has always been better for me than what I get from Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile.
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #1052

Entegra Owners Club
Starlink RV installation and use

How did you switch from RV back to Residential?
Old 12-16-2022, 12:44 PM   #1053

Can anyone tell me if starlink works presently in central Alabama for residential between auburn Al and Alexander city Al? And is it already available for the above areas?

Thanks!
patuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehochuli85 View Post
I have the same setup you have, brandss - residential with portability, plus mesh. Right now, I'm on the residential service, because this is our 3 month stretch in the house. At this moment, I'm getting an average of 139 down. We're 45 minutes east of Phoenix.

Before we got to Arizona, we were in Santa Fe for a couple months, and at that time, I was on RV service. I got an average of 125 to 25, depending on the time of day. (Thereafter, we switched to Residential plus Portability).

I also have a couple hotspots for back up, overnight stops, and for use while driving, but even at its worst, so far, Starlink has always been better for me than what I get from Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile.
What is the difference between Residential plus portability and RV?

I live at an address in Alabama but travel in the motorhome 2 to 4 months per year. I want starlink for the house but to also be able to take it with me when in the rv. So what is the difference? Price? Benefits?
Old 12-16-2022, 05:09 PM   #1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wanderers View Post
Last I read they dont have that option available yet, but plan to in the future.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:16 PM   #1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by patuca View Post
What is the difference between Residential plus portability and RV?

I live at an address in Alabama but travel in the motorhome 2 to 4 months per year. I want starlink for the house but to also be able to take it with me when in the rv. So what is the difference? Price? Benefits?
Last I read portability allows you to use the service away from your home base area IF there is bandwidth available. In other words it is possible to be denied service in a really crowded area. Also will likely be downgraded service as home based users will be prioritized in the area you are visiting in.

RV plan guarantees service anywhere, but not prioritized and will be downgraded.

Bottom line, your performance will likely be better on portability than RV, but it would be possible to be denied service away from home base with portability. RV will always be downgraded and de-prioritized anywhere you go, but will always provide some service. Again, last I read, and subject to change at any time as more sats are deployed and coverage / capabilities expand.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:22 AM   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttkd View Post
Last I read portability allows you to use the service away from your home base area IF there is bandwidth available. In other words it is possible to be denied service in a really crowded area. Also will likely be downgraded service as home based users will be prioritized in the area you are visiting in.

RV plan guarantees service anywhere, but not prioritized and will be downgraded.

Bottom line, your performance will likely be better on portability than RV, but it would be possible to be denied service away from home base with portability. RV will always be downgraded and de-prioritized anywhere you go, but will always provide some service. Again, last I read, and subject to change at any time as more sats are deployed and coverage / capabilities expand.
Thanks for that explanation. So after doing RV you decided to swap to residential with portability. You must think it will be better? In my case I think it might as most of my year is spent at home and 2 to 4 months on the road…maybe. I guess RV could be used to at a residence?
Old 12-17-2022, 04:18 AM   #1058

Tiffin Owners Club
If it's available in your area, residential will be better vs rv, it has a higher priority. You can add portability to residential but cannot stop and start it, portability, from what I understand. As far as being denied service with portability if the area is full, that may be true, but I have not read a single thread where someone has been denied. Of course there are many threads about speed decreases, but remember, for most things, 5 down will do most everything most people need.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 08:36 AM   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
If it's available in your area, residential will be better vs rv, it has a higher priority. You can add portability to residential but cannot stop and start it, portability, from what I understand. As far as being denied service with portability if the area is full, that may be true, but I have not read a single thread where someone has been denied. Of course there are many threads about speed decreases, but remember, for most things, 5 down will do most everything most people need.
Thanks!
Old 12-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #1060

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wanderers View Post
I got lucky. I learned all the details about residential and portability, (largely thru this forum - thank all - plus several e-mail exchanges with Starlink support), within 30 days of buying RV service. So I was able to return and cancel the RV equipment/service, and buy residential. (I’ll activate Portability when we hit the road).

Unfortunately, as you know, they do not allow transferring from RV to Residential. I even told them I was still within the 30-day return window and would cancel RV and buy a new Residential, so why don’t they just make the change in their records, rather than sending me a new dish, and Starlink paying return postage on what I had . . . but they said no, they couldn’t just change their records - but I could return/cancel and place a new purchase order for Residential. So that's what I did, and I got the new dish & router before I even had to return the old one. (The equipment is the same).

Again, I got lucky, but the lesson to new buyers is to do your research and be sure you're buying the right program (RV vs. Residential/Portability) for you.
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #1061

Starlink disconnected

Hi,

I ran into the issue of having the error message "Starlink Disconnected".

While googling a solution I noticed that I wasn't alone.

In my case, the Starlink router sits on a tiny shelf inside a storage bay. I noticed that there was space underneath the network connector:

For a home installation that might be OK but for a traveling RV the network plug got loose with all the vibrations and shaking.
I put a piece of foam under the connector and the issue was resolved.

Cheers
Simon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlink_Disconnected.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	382824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlink_Network_Connector_Space_diff.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	382825  

simonglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #1062

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttkd View Post
From Starlink TOS / support website
What are the limitations on Portability?
Portability is provided on a best effort basis. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of services are not guaranteed. Starlink prioritizes network resources for users with Priority Access and those at their registered service address, as described by Starlink's Fair Use Policy.

Have been in 18 states "in 18 mts" and have never had service denied. slow speed yes, but never has it not connected.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #1063

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patuca View Post
Can anyone tell me if starlink works presently in central Alabama for residential between auburn Al and Alexander city Al? And is it already available for the above areas?

Thanks!
you can use the link below to verify what is available for an address. Starlink cover the lower 48 - the speed will depend on the number of customers in a cell.

https://www.starlink.com/

Here is a good place to review all about starlink
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gui...rlink-rv-boat/
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:30 AM   #1064

New Sleep Schedule

In the Settings for the Starlink App, there is now a SLEEP SCHEDULE where you can turn it on and set when you want it to sleep. For those wanting to save power, this will mean that it won't snow melt on the off hours or attempt to stay connected to sats and use power. If you are needing to conserve electricity (off-grid, boondocking, save a few dollars), you may want to set that and only run it during your typical usage hours.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install