Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2021, 04:42 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou View Post
Att
gsgriffin original poster
Do you have any updates for us ?
or has someone told you to not comment ?
would appreciate an update Thx
I was introducing this topic not as a discussion on Starlink but to talk about installation and use as it relates to RVers. The service works really well and very fast. Have a friend in Montana that also has it and sees the same high end results....about 25ms latency and around 180Mbps down and around 70Mpbs up.

Still hoping others will join this discussion when we are ready to talk about RV setup and use. Since it comes with a tripod and long cable, it can be easily stowed and then placed on the ground for use. I'm still planning on mounting mine in the back of the motorhome next to the ladder so I can easily climb up and remove the antenna and use the tripod if need (ie...if parked under a tree)

This month, they have been talking about opening up other areas and announced a while ago that some rural schools in Texas were going to get it. They are also repositioning some satellites to add coverage sooner. Also saw that some in Greece were getting an opportunity. Lots of news to read out there if you Google for a minute or two.

When others start installing and using with their RV, hopefully, this thread will start up again.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #156

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
I was introducing this topic not as a discussion on Starlink but to talk about installation and use as it relates to RVers. The service works really well and very fast. Have a friend in Montana that also has it and sees the same high end results....about 25ms latency and around 180Mbps down and around 70Mpbs up.

Still hoping others will join this discussion when we are ready to talk about RV setup and use. Since it comes with a tripod and long cable, it can be easily stowed and then placed on the ground for use. I'm still planning on mounting mine in the back of the motorhome next to the ladder so I can easily climb up and remove the antenna and use the tripod if need (ie...if parked under a tree)

This month, they have been talking about opening up other areas and announced a while ago that some rural schools in Texas were going to get it. They are also repositioning some satellites to add coverage sooner. Also saw that some in Greece were getting an opportunity. Lots of news to read out there if you Google for a minute or two.

When others start installing and using with their RV, hopefully, this thread will start up again.
You talk about RV'ers using it and how they would mount them. Just for my curiosity couldn't it be mounted to a flag pole and raised just a few feet above the RV itself. I'm not sure how much it weighs though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chaos View Post
You talk about RV'ers using it and how they would mount them. Just for my curiosity couldn't it be mounted to a flag pole and raised just a few feet above the RV itself. I'm not sure how much it weighs though.
I think the issue would be stability. the base needs to be solid so that the wind doesn't change the sat alignment to the base.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:45 AM   #158

Quote:
Yes, it could. I'm considering a pipe with about the same inside diameter as the tripod stand. I think I have it narrowed down to the tubing used for an exhaust pipe. I would like to be able to leave it in position and not have to go outside when parked to set it up. The ideal, of course. This would require it being about the same height as the top of the AC units, but I'm concerned about the unit tilt and then driving away with it being 10" or more above AC height. They are very aerodynamic when flat. If tilted, could increase the drag/pressure on the stand considerably. Taking my time to consider before rushing ahead.

This is where I will be interested at some point to see what others have tried and made work. I'm strongly doubting that Starlink will be offered to the general population or even become a mobile unit, as some have guessed. Perhaps they will, but that could be years down the line as their target population hasn't even been started to be addressed yet. While there could be high-paying commercial or government agencies that would be willing to fund that (and of course, Starlink would allow their accounts to be mobile), it would go against their strongly stated claim that this will not be competing with the current Internet providers but providing an option for those around the world that really don't have any good option today. Many people today with RV's have great Internet at home.

The location lockdown could be only for beta or could be for the long-haul. None of us knows for sure. For those in poorly served areas that could use this for their home, it could be a real game-changer. We will see if eventually they understand the need of RVers and allow for roaming. While that is a good size for the US, it is not as big world-wide, and even many RVers in the US are not staying long in remote areas. Just could be too small a demographic for them to develop a different antenna.

They appear to be a company that listens and adapts and adjusts. Take for example the cries of the stargazers. When they said that the satellites were making a glare in the sun, they began to build "visors" and do what they could to not make a glare. My hope is that RVer as a large community might be able to make the same kind of plea for help and have them respond in kind.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
Old 01-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #159

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We are fulltime and when I signed up for the beta I put my mail forwarding service address as my location.

Just got the Starlink beta email invite for my service area (Box Elder, SD - my mail forwarding service). So the dilemma is should I signup and buy the gear even though I won't be able to use it away from that area (at the current time) or do I wait until they allow for use of the gear where ever we might be.

I might make it back to that area in the 2nd/3rd quarter of 2021... but that depends on too many unknowns right now. If I don't make it back I will be just sitting on $500 of gear that I can't use until the beta is over or the rules are relaxed (if ever).

It's not a question of affording the gear... but if it makes sense to sign up and get it given the unknowns.

So far based on the comments in this thread it doesn't sound like it would make sense to sign up now... until we know more about what they will allow in the future with moving the antenna.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoist View Post
Please let me know your thoughts.
We're in the same dilemma. Got my beta invite a couple days ago for our old physical address in Bend, OR but we are now full time and in Palm Springs for the winter. Since service would be locked to our Oregon address, I decided to pass on the beta offer. I also looked at current satellite coverage for my current location and it's not that great yet.

As fast as SpaceX is moving with Starlink, I'm pretty confident they will expand service to the southern tier of states by summer. I'm just guessing they will open it up to RV's by next year. Sooooooo, as much as it pains me to pass on the beta program, I'm going to skip it.

My other justification is the hardware will likely be updated at some point. V2.0 hardware might be better. Maybe.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #161

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd wait until a mobil version of their antenna comes out. To me part of the value is to use it while in motion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
I'd wait until a mobil version of their antenna comes out. To me part of the value is to use it while in motion.
Have you read somewhere or heard a quote that they will be making a mobile antenna available to the public? If you have, please share the link. I would really like to read up on that. I haven't read that anywhere, other than assumptions based on other customers' projects (ie. government).

What we can't answer and I haven't heard is if they will ever make it mobile for the public. Would make sense to add it to the Tesla Semi, but keep in mind that the antenna needs to be moving and tilting. It would need to be about 18" above my motorhome roof to allow the tilting without obstructions. That will put it into a danger-zone for getting whacked off. Would love to have it operational while driving. They will have to make it a lot smaller and therefore more sensitive and powerful.

Here is the problem for the mass population in the US as I see it (all speculation, or course).... They don't want to sell these to folks in cities or densely populated areas. Elon has made that clear. They don't want to compete where Internet is already pretty good. They want to sell it and service those that don't have good options. This is typically sparse population density.

They will overload their satellites if they end up with tons of people in close proximity. I'm guessing, their plan is that you sell the service with the house, if you ever move. If they didn't lock it, everyone could spoof an address and then bring it to their home in the burbs...or satellites overhead of Quartzsite gets slammed in the winter...as an example.

Now, that being said...I have filled out their questionnaire several times begging them to consider making this available for RVers. Even if they don't make it truly mobile, I'm personally ok with using my phone (Visible) while driving and paying the $25/month for that on the side and when out in the car. When parked, I can have the Starlink anywhere I go? That's what I'm hoping. Perhaps they could make that possible with some geofencing around the cities? In other words, allow it to work in all remote locations and just not in populated areas....a reverse geo-fence.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:30 AM   #163

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I'm just wondering how long a cable run you can use with it? 50' 100' 200'

Like cable TV is now, the longer the run the worse the signal gets.

Heck what kind of cable does it actually use RG6 RG11 , cat 6? Maybe it's using a strong thick fiber jumper.

Maybe a beta tester can answer this for me ?

BULLER ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #164

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Have you read somewhere or heard a quote that they will be making a mobile antenna available to the public? If you have, please share the link. I would really like to read up on that. I haven't read that anywhere, other than assumptions based on other customers' projects (ie. government).

What we can't answer and I haven't heard is if they will ever make it mobile for the public. Would make sense to add it to the Tesla Semi, but keep in mind that the antenna needs to be moving and tilting. It would need to be about 18" above my motorhome roof to allow the tilting without obstructions. That will put it into a danger-zone for getting whacked off. Would love to have it operational while driving. They will have to make it a lot smaller and therefore more sensitive and powerful.

Here is the problem for the mass population in the US as I see it (all speculation, or course).... They don't want to sell these to folks in cities or densely populated areas. Elon has made that clear. They don't want to compete where Internet is already pretty good. They want to sell it and service those that don't have good options. This is typically sparse population density.

They will overload their satellites if they end up with tons of people in close proximity. I'm guessing, their plan is that you sell the service with the house, if you ever move. If they didn't lock it, everyone could spoof an address and then bring it to their home in the burbs...or satellites overhead of Quartzsite gets slammed in the winter...as an example.

Now, that being said...I have filled out their questionnaire several times begging them to consider making this available for RVers. Even if they don't make it truly mobile, I'm personally ok with using my phone (Visible) while driving and paying the $25/month for that on the side and when out in the car. When parked, I can have the Starlink anywhere I go? That's what I'm hoping. Perhaps they could make that possible with some geofencing around the cities? In other words, allow it to work in all remote locations and just not in populated areas....a reverse geo-fence.

No I do not have any source on information about a mobil antenna for Starlink. I'm just assuming that the mobil market is very large world wide they won't miss that opportunity. Why sell one product ( a fixed base) when you can sell two products. Musk does understand how to make money. You don't make it big in two major market segments to become the world's richest person, at the moment, by overlooking opportunities.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #165

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

No I do not have any source on information about a mobil antenna for Starlink. I'm just assuming that the mobil market is very large world wide they won't miss that opportunity. Why sell one product ( a fixed base) when you can sell two products. Musk does understand how to make money. You don't make it big in two major market segments to become the world's richest person, at the moment, by overlooking opportunities.

Either way, until much more of the US has coverage I'll wait it out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #166

Entegra Owners Club
I think a mobile antenna for Starlink is unlikely, except maybe for boats. Compared to our entertainment satellites which can sometimes shoot through openings in the trees to find the geosynchronous satellite, the Starlink system will need wide open views to track the many moving satellites of the Starlink system. On a mobile platform it would would have to search a wide swath of the sky (in many directions) to track the constantly moving satellites, which means that on any roads or highways with trees you would be very unlikely to maintain a signal.

I expect this to be an issue (but less so) on fixed antennas also. There will have to be a rather large area of open sky for these antennas to work reliably. No more aiming the antenna through a gap in the trees as we can often do with DirecTV or Dish.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:37 AM   #167

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I think a mobile antenna for Starlink is unlikely, except maybe for boats. Compared to our entertainment satellites which can sometimes shoot through openings in the trees to find the geosynchronous satellite, the Starlink system will need wide open views to track the many moving satellites of the Starlink system. On a mobile platform it would would have to search a wide swath of the sky (in many directions) to track the constantly moving satellites, which means that on any roads or highways with trees you would be very unlikely to maintain a signal.
For those who need internet while in motion, I would think that the cellular network ought to be fine as long as you're on any major and most secondary highways. Even if you're streaming video to the kids in the RV, you're not going to use all that much data.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:04 AM   #168

Quote:
I'm just wondering how long a cable run you can use with it? 50' 100' 200'

Like cable TV is now, the longer the run the worse the signal gets.

Heck what kind of cable does it actually use RG6 RG11 , cat 6? Maybe it's using a strong thick fiber jumper.

Maybe a beta tester can answer this for me ?

BULLER ?

The cable that comes with the antenna is quite long and robust. The connector is like a shielded cat 6. It plugs directly into the router. I haven't tried to extend it, but I would guess it can. The brains of the antenna are inside the antenna. It does get power through the cable, so a limit might be more related to the resistance of the cable and the voltage drop that could take place. For me personally, it would be plenty long to position nearby my motorhome to a clear space if I choose to park under a tree.

Tags
install