Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #1

Storage Unit Surveillance Camera

We recently moved into a new RV storage facility that utilizes a GFCI 120v outlet for us to plug our unit in and it tripped. Our old facility had older non-GFCI outlets and we never had had an outage in 18 years.

We leave our residential refrigerator running all the time so needless to say, everything inside it was ruined. No big monetary loss as it was mostly condiments, butter, etc. But we do, at times, stock it up for an upcoming trip so it could be a real mess!

Anyway, my question is this: Does anyone have any experience with a camera system that can be monitored from home that I could aim at my energy management panel to see if the power is on inside the coach? There is no internet there so I wonder if a "wild game camera" might work. I don't need a lot of camera clarity - just enough to see if the power lights are on.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2022, 11:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcoman View Post
We recently moved into a new RV storage facility that utilizes a GFCI 120v outlet for us to plug our unit in and it tripped. Our old facility had older non-GFCI outlets and we never had had an outage in 18 years.

We leave our residential refrigerator running all the time so needless to say, everything inside it was ruined. No big monetary loss as it was mostly condiments, butter, etc. But we do, at times, stock it up for an upcoming trip so it could be a real mess!

Anyway, my question is this: Does anyone have any experience with a camera system that can be monitored from home that I could aim at my energy management panel to see if the power is on inside the coach? There is no internet there so I wonder if a "wild game camera" might work. I don't need a lot of camera clarity - just enough to see if the power lights are on.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
It's a moot issue until you figure out why your RV is tripping the Code-required GFCI.

That said, you might be better off with a cellular network-based remote power monitoring system. If it senses a power loss the unit uses internal battery power and its cellular modem to send the SOS to your phone via text or email.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:43 AM   #3

Residential fridges are notorious for tripping GFIs. It's really a thing. Google it.
Our new house puzzled me as the fridge we added in the garage was doing the same thing. The answer was dump the GFI outlet. I was curious why the house fridge wasn't tripping the GFI so I pulled the fridge out and looked. TADAAAA no GFI there.
You're kind of stuck here as messing with the storage facility's electric is a no no. You'll probably get booted.
Maybe you can find an older storage place built before GFI was code for outdoor outlets.
I'm no electrician so you that are weigh in on this but could plugging into the GFI but running thru a standard outlet inline at the coach make any difference?
Old 08-31-2022, 05:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Storage Unit Surveillance Camera

Re cameras , Without internet , via land base or cellular connection you won’t get notified or be able to see anything. Those using this normally provide their own cell hotspot they leave in the coach or the storage has internet they can use.
Game cameras, ( without expensive cellular connection) record activity for you to view when you go to the camera , not real time transmission.
Probably more cost and hassle than just shutting down the fridge in storage.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:08 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You'll need something to send the signal. Wifi, cellular, or a really long cable. You won't be able to see anything without some kind of connection. We use Visible and a 4G modem we bought from Amazon for less than $100. We run cameras and monitors off of that wherever the rig is. A camera that pans, tilts, records and lets you hear and speak through it is about $30 these days. You can set up an old cell phone as a camera if you really wanted to, but for the monthly cost there are more capable options out there. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:40 AM   #6

Many owners find their MH will trip GFCI. You can find a hundred posts with many different reasons for it , single item or cumulative .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Residential fridges are notorious for tripping GFIs. It's really a thing. Google it.
Our new house puzzled me as the fridge we added in the garage was doing the same thing. The answer was dump the GFI outlet. I was curious why the house fridge wasn't tripping the GFI so I pulled the fridge out and looked. TADAAAA no GFI there.
You're kind of stuck here as messing with the storage facility's electric is a no no. You'll probably get booted.
Maybe you can find an older storage place built before GFI was code for outdoor outlets.
I'm no electrician so you that are weigh in on this but could plugging into the GFI but running thru a standard outlet inline at the coach make any difference?
Really, residential refrigerators? If they're trippin a GFCI there is a defect or failure. Seriously. Both my garage fridge and my kitchen fridge are protected by GFCI outlets and neither have ever tripped. You should consider WHY yours does, as it should not. You may have rodent or insect damage to the power cord or internal wiring.

Code requires GFCIs on circuits that serve garages, storage sheds/units, have outlets within 6 feet of water (bathrooms, laundry) or that are outdoors (including your basement compartments on the RV).

"Nuisance" trips usually indicate that there are multiple, current-leaking devices or wiring. The GFCI doesn't trip until the final device or cord is plugged in (or powers up) and leakage current exceeds 5mA.

GFCIs work by detecting any difference in current flow between the Line and Neutral. If they are more than 5mA out of balance, the GFCI will trip. 5mA was chosen for the USA because it's around the threshold amount that can stop your heart or cause fibrillation if the current crosses your chest.

Leaking currents are cumulative, so if your shore power cord/adapters leak 2mA, it's fine. The fridge leaks 2mA. Still good. The microwave leaks 2mA and now the GFCI trips. Remove any 1 of these and things will continue working. Owners will need to do a scavenger hunt to see what needs to be unplugged.

In the OP's case, it's a residential fridge. It will cool down in a couple hours. If you MUST have it on, find out what devices or wiring is leaking current, fix/disconnect, and continue to run the reefer.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:42 AM   #8

A common cause of GFCI tripping from a fridge is the defrost heater. They run on line voltage & get red hot. Moisture or steam can easily bridge the hot lead to the grounded chassis. This can be enough to trip a GFCI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.png
Views:	27
Size:	558.5 KB
ID:	375071  
Old 08-31-2022, 12:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, you are plugging the entire RV into the GFCI outlet, not just the residential fridge. The ground fault could be anywhere in the coach, so don't just diagnose the fridge circuit.

These days lots of things are "on" even while turned off, i.e. they are in standby mode rather than no power mode. They can still have ground faults. Likewise anything plugged to the set of GFCI protected outlets inside the coach. Other possibilities are the inverter/chargers ground to the chassis, water heater (or Aquahot), or other appliances that have a 120v connection.

To answer Toby's question, no it wouldn't make any difference what outlet in the coach the fridge is plugged to. The ground fault is being detected at the wall outlet in the storage garage, not in the RV itself. Another possibility is to unplug the fridge from the RV internal outlet and plug it directly to the wall outlet outside (and unplugging the RV from that outlet at the same time). If the ground fault is not in the fridge, it should continue to run fine. Of course, that means you need access to the fridge plug, which is not usually easy.

Matcoman: You might try turning of the circuit breakers for any unneeded branch circuits in the coach. With the breaker off, that circuit cannot cause a ground fault. You might luck out and turn off the offending circuit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 04:30 PM   #10

I use a device called a WAGGLE that keeps track of temperature within the RV for the purpose of keeping my dogs safe, but it ALSO will send me a text message and email if the power goes out. I can log in with my phone app and check the status as well.

Its pretty cheap, google it. It would be great to get an immediate text the very second the power goes out.
EricM22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:02 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This or other GSM Alarm devices.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16500217022...Bk9SR-br7OHeYA

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Desc=0&_sop=15

Add an Alarm SIM Card and you are good to go!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #12

Could try going inside the office and asking for the wifi password. Up to you to decide the best approach. You could be honest and say its for a camera to keep watch on your fridge. Or pretend youre looking something up on your cell phone, not getting good reception, and ask if there is a wifi you could please use real quick.

Go inside your trailer and use your cell to see available wifi networks. You might be close enough to the office to get a strong signal. A camera doesnt use much data. If youre dealing with the owner you could offer them 20 bucks to use their wifi for a year. Or buy a hotspot with your current cell phone plan and that will be around 20 bucks a month.
wopachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:18 AM   #13

Sorry to take so long to your responses, guys! I didn't think about the long holiday weekend coming up when I started this thread. But, I truly appreciate all your ideas and suggestions.

We've had the rig out all Labor Day weekend at a nearby state park, and stayed in it to allow family to stay in our home. Plan on taking it back to the storage stalls this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Incidentally, everything thing has worked fine all weekend. No electrical or any other issues.

Based on what all has been said, I think our first plan of action is to empty the residential refrigerator and turn it off prior to plugging it back in when we put it inside the stall. I'll monitor that two or three times a day (it's only about a 10 minute drive away) for a short while and see if that stops the GFCI from tripping. We've always used this refrigerator and freezer for overflow from home, so if this solves our issue, we'll just have to make an adjustment to not being able to do that.

Your other ideas are certainly in our future if turning off the fridge doesn't help us.

As Paul Harvey would say: "Stand by for News!"
Old 09-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #14

Update....

Rig has been back inside the storage stall, plugged in, with refrigerator breaker off for about 48 hours. So far, all looks well. Batts are still at 13.2 and no blinking clocks!
Still going to keep a sharp eye on things but this may fix our issue. As I said, it'll be an adjustment for us not to have that refer (hadn't been turned off for well over 10 years), but we'll survive if that's all we have to do.

Oh, and as for finding a storage stall without GFCI outlets? Ain't gonna happen. We waited on this brand new stall for over 2 years! Almost all of the storage units anywhere near our new home only have 40' stalls. This is the first 50' units in the area. We had kept it in our old stall for all this time, but it's a hour and a half away!!!

Tags
camera, storage