Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2023, 02:14 PM   #1

Stowing Starlink - A Major PITA

For those that use Starlink you've most likely experienced the same as me when it comes to breaking down the starlink antenna and putting it away for travel; specifically - stowing it. It was a major PITA for me b/c not being stowed, it doesn't fit back in the box. But now its a minor PITA. The app never worked in-so-far as stowing is concern and I basically gave up on it. After searching and searching I finally found a solution. The trick is to simply turn it up-side-down so that the antenna cannot find a satellite and it simply stows itself after about 10 minutes. So now as I'm breaking camp and putting things away, the first thing I do is turn the thing over and simply leave it for last. By then its stowed itself and it fits back in the box.

I'm sure this issue has been discussed in earlier threads but doing an advanced search did not yield any discussions - lots on starlink and its operation but I did not come across any that discussed stowing.
EdsMotohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2023, 03:23 PM   #2

Never had a problem. When I have, it was because I had my phone logged into the overall RV network and not specifically to the SL network.

I originally kept the box and never used it due to bulk. Put the included cover on the dish, wrap it in a blanket and set it on the floor in a location it will not move.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Great StarLink storage tote!

I did what is shown in this YouTube video (it’s not me BTW) for my rectangular dishy:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BgVn2EezmtVxsz

Works great with very little clipping of some of the original plastic Starlink packaging. Anyway, a storage container idea, I’ve never had trouble getting the dishy to “bow” when I tell it to stow.

Hope this helps.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:36 PM   #4

Never had this problem. Hit stow on the app, it stows, ever time.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:35 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have only stowed my a couple of times and so far and it has worked. Thanks for posting so I know how to stow it doesn't stow using the App.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:42 PM   #6

Hit stow on the app, dismantle, fits the box (engineering marvel) easily and toss it in the storage area.

Takes less than 5 minutes....may be one of the easiest things to do while breaking camp.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:06 PM   #7

Stowiing Starlink - A Major PITA

I never stow mine just unplug router and wind cords up and place in shower for travel.

If not being used, dishy gets to sit in the captain’s chair.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #8

This guy made a flat roof mount for the square dishy, no more stowing it:

Old 03-14-2023, 02:21 PM   #9

jdxnc, thanx for the video - I had not seen this. Lots of good info in this vid but it is a bit over my head but never-the-less, very cool in-deed.

As for all the others that left comments, thanx. I'll just stick to my routine now - it works and doesn't really add anymore time to my break down.

Nwcid, yes, I thought of that as well - that I had a lingering connection somewhere but, after checking, I did not. I guess maybe I have a turkey app.

A couple of the respondents suggested cutting into the dish - no, not going there - I'm not that brave.

Hey, ya'll be safe and happy surfing.

ed.
Old 03-14-2023, 04:20 PM   #10

2X on the Husky Storage box. Works great for us. So far, I've never had an issue with stowing the antenna, but it's good to know there's another method to get it to stow should there be a problem with the app.

Thanks for the added info.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mine would not stow the last time I tried.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:15 AM   #12

hypoxia.... when you turn the dish up-side-down to stow in this method, it takes the dish about a good 10 to 15 minutes to go into the stow "position" - just be patient.

ed.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:38 PM   #13

I was just looking into getting Starlink for my trailer. I see that they have a dish designed for "in-motion" use and it appears that it doesn't have to be stowed. But it also costs $2,500 instead of $600.

I'm guessing this dish was not available until recently?
Old 03-20-2023, 03:33 AM   #14

Dr1ter .... starlink is an evolving technology and expensive. We paid 600 bucks for ours and we're not sure how long it will be "compatible." So, before you plunk down 2500 bucks, do your research - will the "in-motion" be compatible in five years? will the "in-motion" be cheaper in the future as the technology improves? I don't know either. Do your research and weigh the risks.

Now, I must eat crow. Its not beneath me to admit that I was wrong. Nwcid suggested that I may have a "lingering" connection preventing the starlink from being stowed. I was sure I did not and replied as such. But, then I remembered a very old tablet I use for nothing more than Kindle that sits in the bedroom. Yep, sure enough it was connected to starlink. Today is travel day so last night I checked my phone, my wife's phone, ROKU, laptop and the tablet to make sure all were disconnected. Opened the starlink app and shazam, stow was no longer greyed out.

Ya'll have a great day and safe and happy travels.

Ed.

Tags
tow