Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
StraightTalk cell phone cell phone and service

Anyone use this?

Right now I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Tmobile unlimited service, which is fine when I am home, but I frequently travel to the Ozarks, and it is next to useless.
No signal at all in Eagle Rock, MO. When there's cloud cover I can't even get Google Maps to work.
But I heard of Straight Talk, and I know of a fulltimer who uses it.
I also met someone in Eureka Springs, AR who switched from Tmobile to it, with an iPhone, and says it's wonderful.

Anyone else?
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I switched from AT&T several months ago and it has been great for a fraction of my old cost.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
customer service vs web based info

I tried to determine if an older cellphone I had laying around today would work on straight talk - before I bought their package.

Their information on the web (Internet) did not agree with what the customer svc rep (once I got one) told me.

DO NOT KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE!

Not good for trust of company.

issue related to is instrument UNOCKED (web did not ask - customer svd did -- Big difference to me. REMEMBER - the devil is in the details.

I am using one of their cheaper huwaie insturments and DO not like the instrument - but at least I am geting cell phone coverage in New Hampshire.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

I've been using ST on my Nexus 4 for over a year. Switched because I was tired of paying $90 for Verizon Wireless. Now I pay just $45 and it works... Most of the time. Verizon has better coverage in the US than anyone. On the road it may be worth it too pay for their service. My coverage is with T-Mobile and it's good where I live and drive...
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

A Straight Talk phone could be on any one of several cellular carriers so anecdotal experiences won't tell you much if you don't now what network the commenter's phone is on.

If you have a preferred carrier there are ways to tell what carrier a given phone/package is using, such as the page below. As long as you use a carrier that has good serice in the areas you frequent an MVNO like Straight Talk (or others) can save a lot of money over the big names (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) while using the same network.

How to Tell Which Network (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon) a TracFone, NET10 or Straight Talk Phone Uses | Prepaid Phone News
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post
Anyone use this?

Right now I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with Tmobile unlimited service, which is fine when I am home, but I frequently travel to the Ozarks, and it is next to useless.
No signal at all in Eagle Rock, MO. When there's cloud cover I can't even get Google Maps to work.
But I heard of Straight Talk, and I know of a fulltimer who uses it.
I also met someone in Eureka Springs, AR who switched from Tmobile to it, with an iPhone, and says it's wonderful.

Anyone else?
The verizon cell system covers the best for the areas you indicated. However there is no single carrier that will give you 100 percent coverage as a rule.
I travel the northwest and get into some remote places so I did a test using the AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon systems all at the same time and place. The verizon system came out winner with few places where there was no service.
I use Straight Talk's home phone in the coach with a wireless hand set.
The reason is the home phone setup has much more output power than the normal cell phone.
Another factor is the flat rate of $15.00 per month for unlimited nation wide calling with 3 way calling and stored message for missed calls.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've tried most of the carriers. ST is cheapest. We're using Samsung S-3 and have been satisfied. In Florida if you purchase a phone and then sign up for ST. Problem. appears to be 2 major players as providers here. Sprint and Verizon that ST hooks up with. our 1st phones were tied to sprint and coverage sucked, apparently not enough towers on floridas Central West coast. We switch phones for ones that have Verizon as carrier and have been satisfied. saving about 90 bucks a month.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
A Straight Talk phone could be on any one of several cellular carriers so anecdotal experiences won't tell you much if you don't now what network the commenter's phone is on.

If you have a preferred carrier there are ways to tell what carrier a given phone/package is using, such as the page below. As long as you use a carrier that has good serice in the areas you frequent an MVNO like Straight Talk (or others) can save a lot of money over the big names (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) while using the same network.

How to Tell Which Network (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint or Verizon) a TracFone, NET10 or Straight Talk Phone Uses | Prepaid Phone News
Wow....what a helpful article. ..thank you!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
The verizon cell system covers the best for the areas you indicated. However there is no single carrier that will give you 100 percent coverage as a rule.
I travel the northwest and get into some remote places so I did a test using the AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon systems all at the same time and place. The verizon system came out winner with few places where there was no service.
I use Straight Talk's home phone in the coach with a wireless hand set.
The reason is the home phone setup has much more output power than the normal cell phone.
Another factor is the flat rate of $15.00 per month for unlimited nation wide calling with 3 way calling and stored message for missed calls.
You can put a home phone set up in an RV?!
How do you do that? You must be permanently parked somewhere, right?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks everyone for your great feedback!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
StraightTalk cell phone cell phone and service

We've been using a Verizon-based Straight Talk phone for 2 years now. Very happy with it. Can't really tell much difference from our old Verizon phone and it's only $45/mo. Got all the standard smart phone features...google navigation, music streaming etc.

As others have said you need to be aware that the phone you buy will determine which network you end up on. ST partners with several companies -> AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc. Verizon-based phones have the widest coverage network.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post
You can put a home phone set up in an RV?!
How do you do that? You must be permanently parked somewhere, right?
The Straight talk home phone works like a standard cell phone except you
provide the phone to connect to it.
The unit cost about 70.00 and only works on the Verizion system and has a 200 mw output, also one can connect to a outside antenna if needed.
The unit requires either 120 volts AC or 12 volts DC and has a internal battery that allows 2 to 3 hours talk time and 36 hours just receiving in case of no power being provided to it.
I use a wireless phone connected to it so I have use around the camp withing range of that unit.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
We use ST with our Galaxy S3 on AT&T. Very happy.
Roger
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Are you going to use the ST phone to go online? Tethering is against their rules and some have reported that they have been throttled after only using 1.5 gb to 2.5 gb in a month and have been informed that they will be cancelled if using an "unusual" amount again.

Just something to think about. Not everyone has problems with them but some have had problems. Thom and I do tether and we do use WAY more so while ST may be less than the $250 that we pay now it is still less than if we had to pay for all the data that we do use for work and otherwise. So far in about 2 weeks we have used about 15 to 20 gb between our 2 phones.

Tags
service