Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #1

Streaming live TV over internet - providers that offer internet-only subscriptions?

Do any of you have any subscriptions to TV service providers that are solely internet-based?

I know a lot of major cable providers allow you to stream over the internet along side the cable service they provide.

What I am looking for is a service that includes The Weather Channel (actual weather channel, not Weather Network or Weather Underground and the like), national geographic, discovery, history, and news networks like CNN and FOX that is only an internet service.

So far the closest I can find is a mid-grade DirecTV Now subscription or higher - $50/month or more.

Sling TV has some of the channels I want, but no Weather Channel.

What are you using if you do not have cable at home?

The set up here is because I don't have cable at home. I am setting up a mobile satellite internet system so I can cover everywhere I travel to and home in the same set up.
FlyFishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The problem is that streaming uses about 1 gig of data per hour and all of the cell phone service providers want to prevent you from doing what it sounds like you are wanting. Direct TV is a satellite system and I've not heard of them providing Internet. Hughes.net has satellite internet service but I've heard it is REALLY expensive and has some issues with lag time.

I have Verizon unlimited data, but after 22 gigs they throttle you so you can't stream anymore. I still have good web surfing and email services, just no streaming.

Direct TV with a DVR is probably going to be the closest that you can get to what you are wanting. But to do any satellite without having to do a lot of dish alignment requires a much higher equipment cost. The tailgaters work quite well and are about $500.

If you are wanting the Weather channel just to know what the weather is like where you are headed next, I'd suggest you try their free App. I use it for current and future weather. I also use an App called RadarScope ($9.99) to see rain and destructive weather in real time. Living in tornado alley was a decent education in learning to understand weather radar.

Good luck in your quest. I hope someone has better answers for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:06 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I get that when most people hear the word "weather" in reference to a channel the natural thing that comes to mind is "weather forecasts". That is one purpose, but the other side of it is I grew up watching that channel. When I am home that is my "background noise". So what I am looking to do is get the live broadcast to get my "background noise" back.

As far as satellite service - mobile HughesNet Gen5 is what I am getting. That is expensive, yes, and partly why I don't want to add another "service". The harder part is I need the service to be mobile. That's why if I run through the Internet I will already have "service" in a mobile/portable environment. I live in a rural area as well, so trying to get service out there (cable) isn't feasible to begin with.

So aside from "service" (DirecTV, Cable), are there any streaming options such as I inquired about that some others here are using when they are on the road?

I have a family member that runs DirecTV and uses a Slingbox when he's out and about. That's all well and good, but I don't want the DirecTV service, or any other cable provider. I just want the online feed minus the direct home service.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You've likely already seen this, but just in case you haven't:

There are 5 major services that let you stream live TV over the internet — here's how they compare
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
DirectTV Now can be streamed yhru the AT&T unlimited plan with no data charges to your account
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
DirectTV Now can be streamed yhru the AT&T unlimited plan with no data charges to your account
I assume that in remote areas signal strength affects your ability to stream programming. Is there a way to assess AT&T's service in areas you are not physically in at that time? I travel between summers in Seattle and winters in Quartzsite, AZ. I expect gaps in service in the no man's land places but will I have enough AT&T signal strength to stream from 2-3 bars areas in the LTVAs south of Quartzsite?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I assume that in remote areas signal strength affects your ability to stream programming. Is there a way to assess AT&T's service in areas you are not physically in at that time? I travel between summers in Seattle and winters in Quartzsite, AZ. I expect gaps in service in the no man's land places but will I have enough AT&T signal strength to stream from 2-3 bars areas in the LTVAs south of Quartzsite?
In a nutshell, no. We travel between those same regions annually also. Although we travel with three 3) wireless providers. It's almost comical to assume that there will be "*streaming quality bandwidth" anywhere let alone remote areas. We've noticed a significant decrease in ATT's bandwidth since all of this "unlimited" hype. It's almost as if the whole cellular network[s] (all carriers) as a whole are now choked down like an overloaded CG WiFi system.
Judging from the latest FCC doublespeak, could get worse?

*relative term. Are you talking a grainy choppy kitty youtube on a 5" screen or a full length feature film in HD on a larger TV?

OP: With all due respect, streaming that type of bandwidth for "white noise" not only feeds this consumer product treadmill we're on but illustrates the predicament data providers / consumers are up against. $1500+in equip. untold Mo. fees. untold latency issues, no self-alignment. It's hard to imagine SiriusXM or a HD satellite dish set-up not being a more viable alternative. I guess every technology has growing pains. Please update us on how that works out for you.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
It's hard to imagine SiriusXM or a HD satellite dish set-up not being a more viable alternative.
Since I am having a hard time getting service where I live - both internet and cable (there is a radio-based internet provider, the high speed they offer is 6mbps) - why not run a satellite offering? Since I travel, why not get a mobile satellite offering?

I will look in to getting a cable service at the house. Then if they have an online streaming offering that may work. However, if I have to go the route of a slingbox to uplink the cable to the Internet, then pull it remotely from another Internet connection (I have a family member that does this with DirecTV), that won't work - my internet is going with me, not staying at the house so there would be no connection for the slingbox.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #9

with the unlimited plan you don't have to stream in HD.. you can steam in SD and not chop at all, even with low service..THis is what I have...and also home direct tv.. my home bill is 38.99 and the family plan ///and when you get att unlimited you get $25 off your home bill so its only $13+ dollars .. I use a USB type C adapter to HDMI for phone and plug into any tv or laptop, and you have big screen.. or you can get choice and not have ability to stream HD as its a little slower service and SD. it is $30 less expensive.. jand none of the tv service streamed counts on your data...now if you use as hotspot they might slow after 10gig
Old 05-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
YouTube just launched a live streaming tv service......similar to Sling, might fit your needs.

Tags
offer, scr