Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Surge Protector

Hi All,
I will try to make this as short as I can.I have a 50 amp Surge Guard portable surge protector I had a 50 amp outlet put in the garage where I keep the MH 2 yrs. ago and have used it numerous times.We were on a trip before thanksgiving for 11 days and everything went fine,came home ran gen.for a couple hrs.while we cleaned up.Then cut gen.off and hooked up shore power and had nothing.Had checked out by rv tech,turns out was transfer switch or they thought.Put in new switch about hr later power went out again,checked switch and it when out again,while this is happening it also took out the microwave twice.I had Thor involved the whole time.This time replaced switch and had it at rv shop.They didn't have 50 amp service so they ran it on 30 amp.everything went great.I picked it up went to local campground with 50 amp ser.left it there 2 days went fine.When I talked to Thor the time before the last switch was replaced they said not to use the surge protector but,I had a electrician come out and checked the 50 amp outlet the main panel box in the garage and the surge protector and found nothing wrong.My question finally is this.Has anyone had trouble with the 34750 TRC surge protector? and another thing I will say is Thor has been great!they even furnished the last transfer switch.I have the 2011 Damon Daybreak 3211 and the warranty was out but,I had purchased the extended warranty.Please respond if you can help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Hi All, I will try to make this as short as I can.I have a 50 amp Surge Guard portable surge protector I had a 50 amp outlet put in the garage where I keep the MH 2 yrs. ago and have used it numerous times.We were on a trip before thanksgiving for 11 days and everything went fine,came home ran gen.for a couple hrs.while we cleaned up.Then cut gen.off and hooked up shore power and had nothing.Had checked out by rv tech,turns out was transfer switch or they thought.Put in new switch about hr later power went out again,checked switch and it when out again,while this is happening it also took out the microwave twice.I had Thor involved the whole time.This time replaced switch and had it at rv shop.They didn't have 50 amp service so they ran it on 30 amp.everything went great.I picked it up went to local campground with 50 amp ser.left it there 2 days went fine.When I talked to Thor the time before the last switch was replaced they said not to use the surge protector but,I had a electrician come out and checked the 50 amp outlet the main panel box in the garage and the surge protector and found nothing wrong.My question finally is this.Has anyone had trouble with the 34750 TRC surge protector? and another thing I will say is Thor has been great!they even furnished the last transfer switch.I have the 2011 Damon Daybreak 3211 and the warranty was out but,I had purchased the extended warranty.Please respond if you can help.
Very troubling. Did you have the TRC with you on your trip and did you use it? Did you have it at the RV shop where the work was done? Do the indicator lights on the TRC unit show any out of limits conditions? Does it just show the standard green all is ok light?

The sad part is the TRC unit should have cut power and saved the transfer switch and the microwave if there is a problem with the shore power. The fact that the TRC unit seems ok and something is happening downstream will require more digging. I would be suspicious of an issue with the neutral wiring somewhere downstream of the TRC.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Very troubling. Did you have the TRC with you on your trip and did you use it? Did you have it at the RV shop where the work was done? Do the indicator lights on the TRC unit show any out of limits conditions? Does it just show the standard green all is ok light?

The sad part is the TRC unit should have cut power and saved the transfer switch and the microwave if there is a problem with the shore power. The fact that the TRC unit seems ok and something is happening downstream will require more digging. I would be suspicious of an issue with the neutral wiring somewhere downstream of the TRC.
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply.Yes I have used the TRC up until this stuff happened.The surge gave a reading of L1 was 122 volts and L2 was about the same.The first 2 times the Rv techs were at my house the last time was at their shop.We didn't use the surge protector at their shop.I did't use it the 2 days when I went to the near by campground.I brought it back today.I don't have it plugged in.I might use a 110 just to try but,can't figure it out.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
Hi Steve, Thanks for your reply.Yes I have used the TRC up until this stuff happened.The surge gave a reading of L1 was 122 volts and L2 was about the same.The first 2 times the Rv techs were at my house the last time was at their shop.We didn't use the surge protector at their shop.I did't use it the 2 days when I went to the near by campground.I brought it back today.I don't have it plugged in.I might use a 110 just to try but,can't figure it out.
I've been chewing on this since I read your first post. I believe you said that you had not had a problem on generator power. That would indicate that from the transfer switch output there is no problem.

I would inspect the power cord and check it with a meter for continuity. Move the plug around to see if any change. Obviously the power the TRC unit sees is good. If the neutral wire is losing continuity at any point from where you are plugging into the TRC then it could cause those problems.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
That is what I thought but,like I said I had an electrician come and check all that and even the Techs check the power cords we took the covers off of the 50 amp outlet checked all the connections went through what I think was the whole system.It just puzzles me what it could be.I just don't want to take a chance on messing something else up but,don't know what to do next and yes the Gen.power and the 12 volt system works fine.