Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #1

SWM Upgrade or New DTV RCVR?

Just bought this Vista 30T and the previous owner installed a Carryout G3 on the roof. He said it was a piece of cake, just transferred his receiver from the home to the rig. So I did the same: ERROR message 775. Turns out Winegard says because my receiver is a Model HR54, it will require a SWM module at a cost of $230. They did say I could also upgrade/add a receiver that would just be $7 extra a month to my home bill.

Anyone experience this and maybe offer advise on which might be better? TIA
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
What receiver did you try? The portable antennas are not SWM compatible. Solution with Dish is to get a Wally and mirror your home service for like $7 per month.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
What receiver did you try? The portable antennas are not SWM compatible. Solution with Dish is to get a Wally and mirror your home service for like $7 per month.

Ken
Hi Ken - mine is the HR54. I now see the notice in my literature that states that. The tech at WG must have had my situation confused. But I don’t have DISH, does it work with DTV?
Old 01-27-2022, 06:27 PM   #4

I purchased an hr24 on Craigslist for$10 and then purchased an extra access card for 7 dollars a month. But I also had dtv at home. So easy setup.
We now stream only by cell towers. Much easier, way cheaper and 1,000's of free channels.
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #5

Definitely get a second opinion! Doing a quick search, the Winegard website says the Carryout G3 needs a SWM-840 kit to use it with the HR54. Weaknees sells that kit for $109. And the kit appears to be a SWM8 switch, a PI-29 power inserter, and a Directv splitter that will pass the voltage to the SWM8, which you can likely purchase separately on Amazon and elsewhere for even less. Talk to Weaknees.

I have used a SWM16 (cheaper at the time than a SWM8) and PI-29 power inserter with my Trav'ler SK-3005 for many years. I am currently using that setup with a HR54 DVR. (And with the HR24 and HR44 before that.)

Don't buy an HR24. Directv will supposedly no longer activate them, according to posts here on IRV2. (Previously activated HR24's still work.)
Old 01-28-2022, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Definitely get a second opinion! Doing a quick search, the Winegard website says the Carryout G3 needs a SWM-840 kit to use it with the HR54. Weaknees sells that kit for $109. And the kit appears to be a SWM8 switch, a PI-29 power inserter, and a Directv splitter that will pass the voltage to the SWM8, which you can likely purchase separately on Amazon and elsewhere for even less. Talk to Weaknees.

I have used a SWM16 (cheaper at the time than a SWM8) and PI-29 power inserter with my Trav'ler SK-3005 for many years. I am currently using that setup with a HR54 DVR. (And with the HR24 and HR44 before that.)

Don't buy an HR24. Directv will supposedly no longer activate them, according to posts here on IRV2. (Previously activated HR24's still work.)
Thank you Jim, I appreciate the information and will check out weeknees.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had an old KVH R4 dome on our Bounder and a few years ago I installed the SWM-840 kit when we upgraded our DirecTV receivers to the Genie line. Back then we paid about $50 for the kit through Amazon - I see that they have gone up in price, but they are still sonsiderably less than the $230 that Winegard quoted you. Installation is a breeze, if you can follow directions.

Tags
upgrade