Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
T.V Antenna no signal

Please help me get DW off my [moderator edit],no tv and I think its the antenna not being digital. I do have upgraded flat screens that work great on cable,but can ot pick up any channels on antenna.I do have the booster button on,and was warding if I need to upgrade my stock antenna,and whats a recomended choice? its on a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial,thanks for any help.
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #2

Your old antenna should work with the new digital TV signals as long as the amplifier is turned on and you have good connections. I have an old omni-directional antenna with a satellite dish mounted on the crank up arm on my Gulf Stream and it still works although the signal is rather weak. I have a new Jack TV I'm going to install tomorrow, hopefully it will work much better than the old one.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #3

We upgraded both our tv's to digital and they both work fine on the old antenna. When we could not get any reception our selector box was broke or we had no 12 volts at the antenna from the booster box.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Out of curiosity - did you go into setup and switch to Over the Air (OTA) and acquire the local channels?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only upgrade you need to do is to add a Wingman to the basic Winegard bat-wing style antenna. With the digital channels you have a signal or you do not. Aiming an antenna is much more critical than for the old analog stations.

Set the TV for Off-air or antenna in the setup menu. Aim the antenna roughly toward where the stations are located. Let the TV do a scan and see of it finds any channels. If you find anything, go back and get a signal strength on screen and fine tune the antenna for a stronger signal. Rescan for more channels.

If no channels are found, turn the antenna 30 degrees and rescan...repeat until you find a signal. To get an idea on where to aim, look at other campers rigs. The antenna is 90 degrees to the station.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well played Ken. Wasn't sure if they were still around.

OP
Here in DFW - with my antenna down and under my aluminum covered storage space I can get great reception OTA - so as Ken says - you should have no trouble provided all connections are good. The enhancement he mentioned is a good one as well. If you have satellite you may not want to incur the minimal expense - but if not - well worth it. Outside cities - fine tuning (turning) of the antenna is often the key to success.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
TV antenna

Thanks for all the replys thats one of the things that makes this site so great for me.(quick response) I have switched my tv to antenna on the set up screen.I have also tried a full rotation on antenna on several attempts to program tv,and once recieved 2 channels.Can someone please tell me how to check the selector box?I will start by checking all my connections at roof top down to tv's,and adding a Wingman.Thank all of you for your help I will let you know the results.Any other comments are surely welcome.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
TV antenna

I could not wait until the sunrise here.(two more years until retirement)Went on roof checked connections and found what appeared to be a loose connection,corrected and now I have 8 channels on front tv and 6 on rear.Looks like all the help here has me headed in the right direction,again Thank all of you for your help!!!!Well got to go to work now.

Tags
antenna