Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tablet to use with Silverleaf VMSpc

I had been using a Sony Viao with the VMSpc system but this last trip the laptop lost communication and I have not been able to restore. I ended up using my Dell XPS but it is too big.
I'd like to get a small table to use.
Anyone recently purchased a tablet that works with the Silverleaf VMSpc system.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

Several years back I purchased an 10" RCA Windows tablet from Walmart which worked fine for VMSPC. Eventually my Jib failed and I switched to Bluefire on an IPad. I like Bluefire but both have advantages/disadvantages.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, I'll have to look at the Silverleaf website to see what system requirements are needed.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
much as I am not a Microsoft fan, I've been using a Microsoft Surface for years now. Full Windows 10 pro software so it's pretty much a full & powerful PC. And in tablet mode it works well with no keyboard.
Haven't touched my laptops in years, and rarely turn on the home pc anymore.
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
So I got a chance to look at the Silverleaf VMSpc requirements and it says that "this is a product for Windows based PC's".

My wife had a small Amazon tablet that I tried to download the software to, NO GO.

So I started looking for a Windows tablet and found an Open Box special on Ebay, Microsoft Surface Go 2, which should work. Hope so as I went ahead and bought it. If it works it will be about the size of the small Sony Viao I was using and worked pretty well. I want something that I can just leave in the motorhome and not worry about it.

Once I get it I'll download the software and report back.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I changed over to Bluefire and it have been AWESOME, runs directly on my iPad or Google tablet.....~$200 and no more issues with communication, wires, etc as it connects via Bluetooth
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I changed over to Bluefire and it have been AWESOME, runs directly on my iPad or Google tablet.....~$200 and no more issues with communication, wires, etc as it connects via Bluetooth

That's my next move, getting tired of fooling with the Silverleaf system.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
That's my next move, getting tired of fooling with the Silverleaf system.
Many of us got tired of fooling with the Silverleaf VMSpc. Like Paul I am much happier with the BlueFire. The app developer is very active in updating the app based on input from users of the app. I use a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab Android tablet from Costco.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Many of us got tired of fooling with the Silverleaf VMSpc. Like Paul I am much happier with the BlueFire. The app developer is very active in updating the app based on input from users of the app. I use a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab Android tablet from Costco.

I had not looked at the Bluefire close enough to know full capability. Does it register any fault codes????
Old 08-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I had not looked at the Bluefire close enough to know full capability. Does it register any fault codes????
Yes, it does. Check page 68 of the Getting Started manual. You can find it on their website. There is also a link inside the app to get to it.

https://bluefire-llc.com/store/getting-started-document

BTW, don't let the fact that the Getting Started manual is 71 pages scare you! The app allows for a LOT of customization! It was a lot shorter when I started with BlueFire! Maybe even non-existent back then. The app has come a long way. Silverleaf can't say that.

This is my current dash on the BlueFire. It is at idle and not moving, so no Instantaneous MPG reading. The readings will turn yellow if you reach the warning range, and red if you enter the danger range (which you can set). Easy to see problems at a glance. The engine block icon will turn red if there are any active fault codes. Tap it to see them. There is a repository in the app with dashboards that others have used. You can use these as a starting point, or create your own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210702-142149_BlueFire_for_Motorhomes.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	339571  
Old 08-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #11

I use Silverleaf VMSpc on a RCA tablet, don't like to fix anything that works. I did call BlueFire several years ago and they didn't know if it was compatible with a 400ISL
Old 08-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I use Silverleaf VMSpc on a RCA tablet, don't like to fix anything that works. I did call BlueFire several years ago and they didn't know if it was compatible with a 400ISL
It is.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #13

I have been told that the Mastereld BlueFire adapters on Ebay are not compatible with the BlueFire app. You are probably better off buying them from BlueFire or from Amazon if you decide to go with the BlueFire.
Old 08-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
OK, got the Microsoft Surface Go 2 tablet and was able to download the Silverleaf software.

I need to connect to the tablet with a USB-C connector, would it be best to use a USB adapter for this or just get a network cable with a USB-C end.

The other issue is the current charging adapter is 120 volt to a plug that fits into the side of the tablet. Any options to charge this with a usb type adapter and 12 volt plug.