Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2023, 10:30 AM   #1

Tailgating - Starlink vs Dish

Our new motorhome only came equipped with an over the air antenna, and is only wired with coax to the two inside televisions. We use the motorhome for tailgating at Beaver Stadium, and also have a television that we set up outside the RV. I have to purchase some type of platform to view television while tailgating before and after the game. Unfortunately over the air in not an option in this location. The previous motorhome, we used the Dish Service with the installed factory equipment. If I use Dish I will have wire the motor home with HDMI cables, or have cords laying around. If I use Starlink I can use smart TV's or adapters like firesticks to stream television. I am concerned about the download speed on Saturdays for Starlink roam. Anyone have any experience in this area?
pmarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2023, 11:56 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I live about 6 blocks from the KSU football stadium and just before - during - and just after a football cell signals are terrible and do not have enough bandwidth to stream. I tried the T-Mobile home internet service using cell towers and any big even football, basketball, or to some degree, baseball stream was nearly possible. I not saying you will have the same experience as I have had but gives you input. I have Starlink RV and have never tried it from home or on game day so I can't comment on that.

That leaves you with Dish/Direct with the portable dish. If you have a dish or direct at home you can grab a receiver and setup the portable dish without having to create another account.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Starlink is the future and Dish Network as well as Direct TV are on the way down.
The more remote the area at Beaver stadium is, the better your download speeds will be.
You probably already know your Starlink roaming service has less priority than fixed systems.
I've had the Starlink roaming service and on Friday and Saturday nights in heavily populated areas it really slows down. But slow is usually 10-20mbps and enough to watch one streaming service.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:37 AM   #4

The biggest problem is internet TV is delayed so everyone with dish will see the touchdown 20 seconds before you. Then internet TV buffers so when it freezes it starts back up where it left off and even more of a delay.

My experience with starlink is it doesn't matter where specifically you are as long as it has a clear view of the sky and can rotate to the best position. Cell service will slow down dramatically at the stadium on game days because the towers are overloaded where starlink is more whole city instead of neighborhood
Old 06-10-2023, 06:22 AM   #5

I will say I've seen some improvement in Starlink's performance along the East Coast of the US this year over last (not that it was bad last year). I think the number of satellites they've been launching has been able to mostly keep up with increased demand.

My last trip I had one night where only half the sky was accessible, and still was streaming TV and internet at the same time with no trouble.
Vermont_Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 06:36 AM   #6

Just saw that they are putting a ground station approximately 10 miles from the stadium. Will this help with download speeds at peak times?
pmarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:56 AM   #7

I use starlink for wifi and installed a $29 google chrome cast TV device on my tv so I can watch endless shows. It works extremely well.

31ft Dutchmen Royal Classic
Rob Hentges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:12 AM   #8

We have been using Starlink since February. We started wit3h it in Florida and have been very happy with it. But it is a satellite so plan accordingly. Do8ng an East coast seafood run will come back at the end to update.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Starlink is the future and Dish Network as well as Direct TV are on the way down.
Boy, that's for sure. Can't wait for the day I can ****-can DISH. We're very rural, so it will be a while. But it is going to happen.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 09:20 AM   #10

One issue with streaming exclusively could be finding a broadcast package that lets you stream the games. I’m not sure how Beaver football is handled, but I follow Kraken Hockey and they have an exclusive broadcast agreement in the PNW that is only on Root Sports and I couldn’t get it on Dish. I used ESPN+ to watch games, but I also had to jump through a bunch of hoops using a VPN to watch the games due to blackout restrictions.

As someone else pointed out, streaming games are about 30 seconds behind broadcast TV which can be frustrating when you get a text alert about someone scoring way before you see it (unless it’s your team [emoji1]).

Good luck finding a solution that meets your needs.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish