Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2023, 07:40 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tethering to Iphone 8

So I have switched my cell phone over to Visible. This process was fairly seamless, ordered the SIM card and it arrived via FedEx the next day. Followed the instructions on switching out the SIM card and the phone activated no problems.

I received a small travel router yesterday. I've tried to follow the instructions on how to set it up. I was able to access the http address and it brought up the setup screen, created and saved a password.

Then I've tried to teather it to my IPhone 8 without success. It does not show I am teathered. Also tried to hook the router up to my laptop and it does not show I am connected via a LAN cable.

What the heck am I doing wrong.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2023, 08:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
So I tested teathering directly to my phone and it works, I am able to get internet

Don't know why it won't teather to the router??
Old 06-10-2023, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
So I tested teathering directly to my phone and it works, I am able to get internet

Don't know why it won't teather to the router??
If you're tethering to the router, is the router seeing your computer connections through a usb? I don't think you can tether usb, wifi or Bluetooth and turn on another means of connecting in your phone. So try usb to the router and usb from it for a starting point?
Old 06-10-2023, 08:42 AM   #4

Not sure how iPhone works since I have Android. On my Android, I have to set USB mode to tethering, if using USB.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My goal is to be able to use my phone as an internet connection for the router so I can connect more then one device to the internet.
Old 06-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
To do what you want wirelessly, you need a router with "Wifi As WAN". Not all routers have this feature but you will definately want it.

With WFi As WAN you can connect any available WiFi signal to the router just like connecting it via a USB or Ethernet cable, such as campground Wifi, or McDonalds, etc. Any available internet on WiFi will be usable over the router just like you were plugged in with a cable. (Of course it has to be an open network or you need the SSID and password.)

I'm sure there are others out there, but I use WiFi Ranger Routers for this feature. The WFR Spruce costs $120 and has good range, wifi as wan, Ethernet ports, easy administration and both 2.4g and 5g radios. The cheaper $100 model, Poplar, is pretty much with same but without the dual bands - just 2.4g.

https://wifiranger.com/solutions/#indoor
Old 06-10-2023, 09:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I did read that the ISO 14 update screwed up the Iphone to tether.

I had not updated the last ISO update so I am in the process of doing that now.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Update didn't seem to fix it.
Old 06-10-2023, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Update didn't seem to fix it.
On the newer os' you have to turn on allow others in hotspots or it will only work through iCloud.
Old 06-10-2023, 11:02 AM   #10

Jim-

What is the make and model of the router? Can you provide a link to its owner's manual or user guide?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:04 AM   #11

A caveat: The IPhone 8 is approaching the end of its support cycle.

I had an 8 up until about 6 months ago. Every time I did an update, battery life suffered. Finally, I spoke to Apple tech support and was told putting in a new battery was a waste of money and phone performance I could tell was also suffering.

I opened my wallet and got a 14Pro and all I can say is Wow. Night and day difference in performance as well as some new cool features.

If you are just looking for a router/hot spot, go with one of the many data only hot spots out there.
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Jim-

What is the make and model of the router? Can you provide a link to its owner's manual or user guide?

Here is the guide.

https://docs.gl-inet.com/router/en/3...st_time_setup/
Old 06-10-2023, 07:20 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
A caveat: The IPhone 8 is approaching the end of its support cycle.

I had an 8 up until about 6 months ago. Every time I did an update, battery life suffered. Finally, I spoke to Apple tech support and was told putting in a new battery was a waste of money and phone performance I could tell was also suffering.

I opened my wallet and got a 14Pro and all I can say is Wow. Night and day difference in performance as well as some new cool features.

If you are just looking for a router/hot spot, go with one of the many data only hot spots out there.

Not there yet.

The phone works for what I need. Don't get a lot of calls, probably use it more for taking pictures of stuff I'm working on. I do message with it some, not a lot.

Prior to getting the IPhone I got by with the cheapest Tracfone I could buy along with the cheapest plan. I ain't a big phone guy.

FWIW, I've got 2 Blackberry Torches that I used until I quit working, probably the best phone I ever had. I guess I guess I'll keep them for sentimental reasons.
Old 06-11-2023, 06:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why I can't tether my Iphone 8 to the travel router without success. Multiple posts on various sites including the Apple troubleshooting site, no solution.
I even got a chat/help line with Apple this AM without success. The problem has been escalated and I am expecting contact from Apple support today.

Tags
phone