Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2023, 07:33 AM   #1

Technology and Gadgets Help Needed

I'm just going to say it. This is going to sound like the dumbest question you've ever heard in this day and age. Go ahead and laugh! I can take it. Technology and gadgets are not my area of expertise. I have a cell phone that I leave at home and treat like a landline. I also have a laptop that stays home, too. Outside of these, the only technology in my apartment is a window A/C and indoor plumbing. I live very simply. Always have. I haven't even owned a TV since the 90's.

Embarrassing Disclaimer done.

QUESTION: Are there any gadgets that can store videos, audio books, and documents that don't need to be connected to the internet to use them? (See? I don't even know the right lingo to ask the question!)

I'm looking for something that works like an iPod did for music. I don't want something that can connect to the internet, but has to be downloaded onto directly from a laptop and can be used offline.

I do know about external hard drives. (I'm not completely obsolete yet!) But, I'm wondering if there are gadgets that exist where books/movies aren't just stored, but can also be played, and documents can be viewed. I know I could just buy a laptop and not access the internet with it, but they're so bloated with useless apps and programs you can't delete. And they can still be hacked into whether they're online or not. (FYI: Hacking isn't my big concern. It's just one reason I don't want anything that can connect to the internet.) I'm just hoping there are other options. I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest in technology and gadgets. The last video game I played was Pong on Atari.
Jack Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2023, 10:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Parker View Post
....QUESTION: Are there any gadgets that can store videos, audio books, and documents that don't need to be connected to the internet to use them? ... I'm looking for something that works like an iPod did for music. I don't want something that can connect to the internet, but has to be downloaded onto directly from a laptop and can be used offline.
You'll likely need an internet connection to download your music and books. A tablet like an iPad will do what you seek to do. You should be able to go to a library or coffee shop like Starbucks or Panera Bread to use their free wifi to do those downloads. But free public wifi has it's own hazards and limitations. Your local public library may have partnered with a source for downloaded music and books.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:09 PM   #3

I would say it depends on how you like to read. Me, I love my laptops but want one on a desk in front of me. One of my (grown) daughters could spend all day in bed with a laptop literally on her lap. Other daughter loves here tablet. I've given my wife both but she insists on using her phone for everything. No idea how she can abide reading on such a tiny screen all the time. So each to their own, right.

You say you have a laptop? It will do all you said, if that suits you. My older laptop has DVD drive, so I can even pop a movie in it to watch that way. The great majority of new ones no longer have DVD drives though. Most new ones are so slim and lightweight they are almost like a tablet when it comes to holding or carrying them. If you want a new one, get one. But find a computer shop after and tell them how you want all the extra stuff removed, explaining what you want it for. I once did exactly this for my mother. I didn't actually remove it all, mostly just moved it so it was out of her way and not distracting, accomplishing the same thing.

Now if you want to go lie under a tree in the park and read, you probably want a tablet. And if you want to read outdoors much, a "reader" tablet. They are black and white like old TV's. (What else do you need to read a book, right?) And their screens beat any fancy color screen ever made for reading out in the sun. Work great in the shade too. Amazon sells on called a "Kindle" but they are all about the internet. If you have a Barnes & Noble book store around, they sell what they call a "Nook". (I have one.) Their smaller one is about the size of one paperback book page and reads almost as well. $99. If you visit the store I'm sure someone will get you figured out to put book on it without using the internet.

For movies a tablet or laptop is better. Though I'm sucker for stuff like "The African Queen" I like color. If you want to KEEP movies then that external hard drive you mentioned will be needed. If you just to want to watch one and toss it in favor of the next one, then no problem. But if you to keep some movies then storage can become a problem soon. Tablet and new lower priced laptops just don't have the room. Books are no problem. Think of books as pet mice. You can keep a LOT of mice in an apartment. Movie are more like dogs, you can keep some but you'll get crowded quick.

Though there is a lot of "streaming" on the internet, there's a lot you can download. Streaming is a bit like TV, you need to be connected to cable or an antenna to watch anything. Downloading is being on the internet just long enough to get that book or movie delivered to your house. Once you have it, it's like a book on the shelf. Read it whenever you like. Downloading basically just means copying stuff off someone else's computer out there somewhere onto your computer/tablet/cellphone/etc.

Speaking of which, you can't rear books and watch movie unless you get them somewhere first. THe internet rules here but check as already mentioned, ask at your local library and see what they have going on.

If you like free and older books , the Gutenburg Project has like 70,000 books you are free to copy (sorry, download) and keep in your own personal library for reading whenever you like. You need a "reader" program of some sort on your laptop to read them but those can be had for free too. https://www.gutenberg.org/
Probably more I could say but my lunch is up.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Parker View Post
I'm just going to say it. This is going to sound like the dumbest question you've ever heard in this day and age. Go ahead and laugh! I can take it. Technology and gadgets are not my area of expertise. I have a cell phone that I leave at home and treat like a landline. I also have a laptop that stays home, too. Outside of these, the only technology in my apartment is a window A/C and indoor plumbing. I live very simply. Always have. I haven't even owned a TV since the 90's.

Embarrassing Disclaimer done.

QUESTION: Are there any gadgets that can store videos, audio books, and documents that don't need to be connected to the internet to use them? (See? I don't even know the right lingo to ask the question!)

I'm looking for something that works like an iPod did for music. I don't want something that can connect to the internet, but has to be downloaded onto directly from a laptop and can be used offline.

I do know about external hard drives. (I'm not completely obsolete yet!) But, I'm wondering if there are gadgets that exist where books/movies aren't just stored, but can also be played, and documents can be viewed. I know I could just buy a laptop and not access the internet with it, but they're so bloated with useless apps and programs you can't delete. And they can still be hacked into whether they're online or not. (FYI: Hacking isn't my big concern. It's just one reason I don't want anything that can connect to the internet.) I'm just hoping there are other options. I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest in technology and gadgets. The last video game I played was Pong on Atari.
You'll need the internet connection to download the music/movies/audiobooks etc that you want, but once that's done, you'll be able to use the files while offline. Unless you're streaming, you shouldn't need an internet connection. If you don't have WiFi yourself, you can always a find free WiFi in a public space to download what you want.
kmackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:22 AM   #5

My apologies for responding to your post so late. I've been so busy I haven't had time to log into the forums.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. As for the technology, and subject of my thread, I have to admit that I completely forgot that iPads exist! I know that sounds odd but my life has been incredibly confined and bubbled for far too long. Stuff like this just hasn't been a part of my life.

As for all the things I will need an iPad for, and the internet, I've already got that covered. One thing I won't be at a loss for, is audio books! But, I agree, public libraries are still one of the greatest unused resources. I just hope they go the way of the Dodo bird because of technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
You'll likely need an internet connection to download your music and books. A tablet like an iPad will do what you seek to do. You should be able to go to a library or coffee shop like Starbucks or Panera Bread to use their free wifi to do those downloads. But free public wifi has it's own hazards and limitations. Your local public library may have partnered with a source for downloaded music and books.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:32 AM   #6

My apologies for responding to your post so late. I've been so busy I haven't had time to log into the forums.

I enjoyed reading this. Honestly, my preference is to have a book in my hands. But, with how much I love to read, I would exceed the cargo capacity of my RV in books alone!

While I was off the forum, I had time to figure this out. I will have a laptop, an iPad, and an external hard drive or two. (Plus two dozen books I can't part with.) I've been out of the loop with technology for so long, I forgot iPads still existed. For RV living, they couldn't be handier!

Thanks for the info on The Gutenberg Project. I will be checking that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I would say it depends on how you like to read. Me, I love my laptops but want one on a desk in front of me. One of my (grown) daughters could spend all day in bed with a laptop literally on her lap. Other daughter loves here tablet. I've given my wife both but she insists on using her phone for everything. No idea how she can abide reading on such a tiny screen all the time. So each to their own, right.

You say you have a laptop? It will do all you said, if that suits you. My older laptop has DVD drive, so I can even pop a movie in it to watch that way. The great majority of new ones no longer have DVD drives though. Most new ones are so slim and lightweight they are almost like a tablet when it comes to holding or carrying them. If you want a new one, get one. But find a computer shop after and tell them how you want all the extra stuff removed, explaining what you want it for. I once did exactly this for my mother. I didn't actually remove it all, mostly just moved it so it was out of her way and not distracting, accomplishing the same thing.

Now if you want to go lie under a tree in the park and read, you probably want a tablet. And if you want to read outdoors much, a "reader" tablet. They are black and white like old TV's. (What else do you need to read a book, right?) And their screens beat any fancy color screen ever made for reading out in the sun. Work great in the shade too. Amazon sells on called a "Kindle" but they are all about the internet. If you have a Barnes & Noble book store around, they sell what they call a "Nook". (I have one.) Their smaller one is about the size of one paperback book page and reads almost as well. $99. If you visit the store I'm sure someone will get you figured out to put book on it without using the internet.

For movies a tablet or laptop is better. Though I'm sucker for stuff like "The African Queen" I like color. If you want to KEEP movies then that external hard drive you mentioned will be needed. If you just to want to watch one and toss it in favor of the next one, then no problem. But if you to keep some movies then storage can become a problem soon. Tablet and new lower priced laptops just don't have the room. Books are no problem. Think of books as pet mice. You can keep a LOT of mice in an apartment. Movie are more like dogs, you can keep some but you'll get crowded quick.

Though there is a lot of "streaming" on the internet, there's a lot you can download. Streaming is a bit like TV, you need to be connected to cable or an antenna to watch anything. Downloading is being on the internet just long enough to get that book or movie delivered to your house. Once you have it, it's like a book on the shelf. Read it whenever you like. Downloading basically just means copying stuff off someone else's computer out there somewhere onto your computer/tablet/cellphone/etc.

Speaking of which, you can't rear books and watch movie unless you get them somewhere first. THe internet rules here but check as already mentioned, ask at your local library and see what they have going on.

If you like free and older books , the Gutenburg Project has like 70,000 books you are free to copy (sorry, download) and keep in your own personal library for reading whenever you like. You need a "reader" program of some sort on your laptop to read them but those can be had for free too. https://www.gutenberg.org/
Probably more I could say but my lunch is up.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:37 AM   #7

There are also a number of questionably legal device that will do what you want.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:39 AM   #8

I appreciate the feedback! For the most part, I was looking for ways to watch, listen, and read offline. But, as I mentioned in the two previous comments, I finally figured that out once I burst my hermit bubble and entered the 21st century! (If I find out we're already in the 22nd century, I give up!)

For me, one of the things I'm looking forward to with RV living is definitely the unplugging. I have the internet stuff covered but it's not that big of an issue for me as long as I have offline capabilities.

Thank God I don't need to stream anything! I got rid of my TV permanently in the 90's and haven't looked back and don't miss it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmackenzie View Post
You'll need the internet connection to download the music/movies/audiobooks etc that you want, but once that's done, you'll be able to use the files while offline. Unless you're streaming, you shouldn't need an internet connection. If you don't have WiFi yourself, you can always a find free WiFi in a public space to download what you want.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:20 PM   #9

Like others said you'll need an iPad or kindle or whatever that connects to the internet at least sometimes. This is because of DRM and copyright laws, it needs to connect to the internet to make sure you bought them
Old 06-15-2023, 07:35 AM   #10

That's a great reminder. Personally, I have no interest in a Kindle. An electronic item that only serves ones purpose is a waste of space when a different one will do. I'll definitely be getting an iPad.

Personally, I'm very fortunate. I don't have to worry about about DRM and copyright laws because the books I enjoy are all in the public domain and many of them have been turned into audio books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain8 View Post
Like others said you'll need an iPad or kindle or whatever that connects to the internet at least sometimes. This is because of DRM and copyright laws, it needs to connect to the internet to make sure you bought them

Tags
technology