Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tivo in an RV

I have an older Sony SatT60 Tivo that needs a powersupply to be made operational. I can buy a working power supply and install it myself for about $40.

Many years ago we tried to take it with us in the RV and it only worked for a few days before it started complaining about not having a phone connection. Shortly after that it stopped working at all until we got it home and allowed it to make it's daily call.

I know that some on this site have Tivo's in their RV's. Do Tivos no longer shut down if they are without a phone line? Specifically the older ones.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I have an older Sony SatT60 Tivo that needs a powersupply to be made operational. I can buy a working power supply and install it myself for about $40.

Many years ago we tried to take it with us in the RV and it only worked for a few days before it started complaining about not having a phone connection. Shortly after that it stopped working at all until we got it home and allowed it to make it's daily call.

I know that some on this site have Tivo's in their RV's. Do Tivos no longer shut down if they are without a phone line? Specifically the older ones.
Don't know about old DVRs, but the one in my fairly new DirectV receiver doesn't need a phone line.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

According to the Tivo Community site it should not need a phone connection to work.

You may need to update your firmware the most recent is version 3.1.0c2-01-1-011.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

I have a TiVo Premiere unit (the current model being sold) and it works fine in our RV. I just give it the new zip code of where we are and away it goes, a new setup and schedule download takes about 30 minutes (mostly processing time, not download time... the download itself doesn't seem to be very large.)

All newer units work via the Internet so as long as you have a way of connecting it then you are in good shape (there are wifi adapters if you want to go that way.) Older TiVos used a phone line but you can adapt those to TCP/IP (Internet) if you want. They will not shut down if they don't have a connection but if not then they can't get program guide info and without that functionality is pretty limited.

I usually don't bother setting it up for short stops but it's great for longer stays, don't know what we'd do without it.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Our TiVo worked in our coach. It was an old model. We do not have a land line at the house. The unit was not connected to a land line for the last couple of years. It did not complain at the house and the same in the coach. I speak of the unit in past tense as it has passed away for other reasons. Direct TV replaced it with the current model DVR.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I have a TiVo Premiere unit (the current model being sold) and it works fine in our RV. I just give it the new zip code of where we are and away it goes, a new setup and schedule download takes about 30 minutes (mostly processing time, not download time... the download itself doesn't seem to be very large.)

All newer units work via the Internet so as long as you have a way of connecting it then you are in good shape (there are wifi adapters if you want to go that way.) Older TiVos used a phone line but you can adapt those to TCP/IP (Internet) if you want. They will not shut down if they don't have a connection but if not then they can't get program guide info and without that functionality is pretty limited.

I usually don't bother setting it up for short stops but it's great for longer stays, don't know what we'd do without it.

we have the same Tivo- once you download the guide and info do you need to be hooked up to the internet or is it good to go for a few weeks?

thanks
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post
we have the same Tivo- once you download the guide and info do you need to be hooked up to the internet or is it good to go for a few weeks?
You don't need a continuous connection. When the program guide info runs short you will see a warning to that effect from the TiVo, at which time you can reconnect.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post

Check the setup menu in the TIVO for an item about phone connection (if there is one).

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
You don't need a continuous connection. When the program guide info runs short you will see a warning to that effect from the TiVo, at which time you can reconnect.
Thanks!
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRDNR View Post

thanks
The tivo will download up to two weeks worth of guide data. So as long as you connect to the internet every two weeks you'll be fine.